Help with smile lines

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thompson1

Reaction score
Hi guys

I trained in liquid and power about four years ago and give up after a year as I just couldnt get the smile line (at all) it was a complete mess and was really disappointed in myselfm even after going through 20 boxes of tips in one month! and still not having anything that resembeld a smile line!. I have now trained in bio gel however still cant get the smile line at all! I havent even started to do them on clients as I refuse to give them a wobbley straight line instead of a smile line!. I would say everything on my application is great and the nails last great but my smile lines are nothing shorter than appaling!. My nail tech is trying for a baby at the min and it makes sence me covering her matternity but I cant for the life of me do a smile line. I have tried on a nail trainer, on a laminated card everything. Has anyone got any ideas? someone once metioned using another tip as a stencil but didnt get what they were on about? Any help would be greatfully appreciated before I defintley hang up my brush.

Mx

Hi guys

I trained in liquid and power about four years ago and give up after a year as I just couldnt get the smile line (at all) it was a complete mess and was really disappointed in myselfm even after going through 20 boxes of tips in one month! and still not having anything that resembeld a smile line!. I have now trained in bio gel however still cant get the smile line at all! I havent even started to do them on clients as I refuse to give them a wobbley straight line instead of a smile line!. I would say everything on my application is great and the nails last great but my smile lines are nothing shorter than appaling!. My nail tech is trying for a baby at the min and it makes sence me covering her matternity but I cant for the life of me do a smile line. I have tried on a nail trainer, on a laminated card everything. Has anyone got any ideas? someone once metioned using another tip as a stencil but didnt get what they were on about? Any help would be greatfully appreciated before I defintley hang up my brush.

Mx

hi,
what product do you use??

sorry for L&P I use creative and for gel I use bio gel

Why dont you try the reverse application? I use this and was trained by young nails, i originally trained in liquid + powder at college but i was the same as you, just couldnt get the smile right. It is so much easier to do it this way as you can sculpt the smile from the pink then push the white upto it. hth

Lots of differenttechniques to apply white gel. I am assuming you currently use a brush.

Ever Tried a Dotting Tool
  • Pick up a small amount of white.
  • Allow a tear drop from the fine point to collect.
  • Set it down in the left hand corner. Once contact occured pull it back up and drizzle a smile line across the nail. (image just laying/drawing a simple line.
  • OK, theres the perfect line.
  • Then either using your dotting tool or brush - gently pull the gel down. There is no need to add more gel. If you are using a nice bright thin/med gel - just pull it down - float it down. If your gel levels nicely and you do not use extra pressure . the area will fill nicely.
  • Done, nice thin application, crisp lines - full opacity of white colour.
It will take a couple of tries to perfect this. a thinish medium bright white gel should help. If using this method i use the dotter for the complete free edge.

Using a Brush
  • If using square brush - mark out the centre.
  • Draw brush down - FLOAT it. To much pressure crap coverage.
  • Use your centre stoke as a guide to add additional strokes either side (angling till you have completed left and right sides.
Thicker gels are harder to use. Thin wishy washy gels that need more than one coat and leave unsightly streaks - will weaken your confidence.
:green:

sorry for L&P I use creative and for gel I use bio gel
why dont you try and book a skill build with your educator.....just get them to concentrate on that part of your application....i have never had one as yet....but they are supposed to be extremly helpful.
hth's

Instead of saying you can't - say you can, cos you can

An hour 121 with an educator will really turn this around for you...well worth the investment.....

and yes say you can no you can't!

Latest posts

Back