help with wording for covering letter...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacqui

Reaction score
I'm am really hopeless when it comes to writing letters, does anyone have any ideas about writing a covering letter to go with my cv when i'm applying for a job in a salon.
I am a nail technician but i'm looking to do any kind of work in a salon, i am also going to offer to work one Saturday free so the salon can see if they like my work.
Any ideas are welcomed.
Thanks.

I'm am really hopeless when it comes to writing letters, does anyone have any ideas about writing a covering letter to go with my cv when i'm applying for a job in a salon.
I am a nail technician but i'm looking to do any kind of work in a salon, i am also going to offer to work one Saturday free so the salon can see if they like my work.
Any ideas are welcomed.
Thanks.

I would help if you could tell us when you qualified.. with whom.. what products you use.. what else you're qualified in.. if you put them in bullet points I will see if I can put up a letter for you :hug:

Structure of a covering letter:
Here is a possible structure for a covering letter, but don't follow this slavishly!

First Paragraph
  • State the job you’re applying for.
  • Where you found out about it.
  • When you're available to start work (& end if it's a placement)
Second Paragraph
  • Why your interested in that type of work
  • Why the company attracts you (if it's a small company say you prefer to work for a small friendly organisation!)
Third Paragraph
  • Summarise your strengths and how they might be an advantage to the organisation.
  • Relate your skills to the job.
Last Paragraph
  • Mention any dates that you won't be available for interview
  • Thank the employer and say you look forward to hearing from them soon.
  • Include all your contact details

HTH a little xxx

Great advise above. Just wanted to say I would probably say at the end:

"I am looking forward to hearing back from you to hopefully arrange a trade test where I can show you my skills."

or something to that effect. This is better (in my opinion) than offering a free days work, as your skills are valuable enough not to give them away for free. It almost makes it seem like you may not be good enough, even though you are trying to say you are great or may suggest they can just get you in as cover for another therapist on the day, then not employ you!! In no other job would you be expected to do a free days work as an interview.

Then at the interview you could always take along pictures of your work as well as doing the set of nails they may ask you to demonstrate.

:hug:

I would help if you could tell us when you qualified.. with whom.. what products you use.. what else you're qualified in.. if you put them in bullet points I will see if I can put up a letter for you :hug:

CadenceAlex - these are my details,

qualified with essential nails in 2004
completed VTCT in manicure & pedicure in 2006
qualified with Creative in July 2006

I now only use creative products.

Nailsinlondon1- thanks for the structure of the letter, it really helps.

weezie - thanks for the advice, i wil offer the trade test instead of a full days work, great idea.

Fantastic advice on here, I don't have anything to add! Wanted to wish you luck tho!

Latest posts

Back