Hi lift or not to Hi lift

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzion

Reaction score
I have a new customer that has been having her hair tinted blonde, and wants me to colour match. I've got to say I find blondes a nightmare to match, as we know they lighten up a lot especially in the summer, so needles to say her hair is a real pale yellow/almost white.
She's a base 7.0 with 50% grey on her roots, she has told me her hair has alot of warmth in it, and doesn't like it. I do normally go straight for the hi lifts, was thinking 901, maybe, not Majirel but a brand they sell in Sally's called ION which I've found really good. Anyway after looking on here constantly now for the last 3 months a picking up lots of brilliant advice, I'm a thinking.......do I need the hi lift or can I go for a 10.1. Brand doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance :hug:

If she knows her hair pulls warm....run from high lift, you will have disaster
Grey does not tend to do well with high lift either as it is not preblended to add missing warmth.
Bleach and toner all the way, 20 vol should do it.:green:

If she knows her hair pulls warm....run from high lift, you will have disaster
Grey does not tend to do well with high lift either as it is not preblended to add missing warmth.
Bleach and toner all the way, 20 vol should do it.:green:

She doesn't want bleach??

She will not get the desired color!
Grey hair lacks warmth that pigmented hair has.There is no underlying pigment to work with.

High lift colors are formulated in conjunction with pigments already existing in the hair. When you already know that her hair pulls warm, and calculate 2 levels extra warmth from using color only, she is going to be unhappy with the result.
Sometimes we have to convince them to let us use our knowledge, just let her know that her idea of getting that light without bleach is not possible, or suggest something darker.
I hate when a client has an unrealistic approach to color. It is science, and not as simple as they think!
I have had more than a few clients whos past colorists have straight out lied to them about how they lighten .....
you cannot dismiss color laws because a client dosent want bleach.

I have a client that has alot of white / light grey around the front of her head...however her crown and nape are about a base 6 at the roots.

I use Wella 12/0 high lift on her hair with 40vol and it turns out lovely.....I find L'Oreal highlifts do not lift as well as some others....that ION brand, I have used before and that lifts really well to....

Latest posts

Back