High heels - tips please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

80's Girl

Reaction score
So, I have a party coming up for which I have bought some high heels. I love the style of them and they go with my outfit perfectly. However, my feet start to ache as soon as I put them on - my whole foot - and they continue to ache when I take the shoes off. I've managed to wear the shoes for about five minutes at a time in the house but don't know how I'm going to survive for a whole night where its buffet and dancing (so not sitting down the whole evening).

Please does anyone have any tips or advice? I really want to be a bit glamorous for a change and would love to be able to wear these high heels. I'm so envious of you ladies who manage to wear heels all day - I want that leg shape and wiggle they give. Are there any secret tips? xxx

I also find it hard to wear heels and have found the only answer is to try them on before buying and if they feel uncomfortable at all - no matter how perfectly they go with my outfit - I DON'T buy them.
My most comfortable heels come from Next, I love them (they don't hurt at all), then my next comfortable heels are wedge fur trimed boots from Tesco (also don't hurt at all) but I think the secret for me is there has to be a cushioned base so I don't feel like I'm smacking my feet on the hard floor.
You could try some padded insoles but this can make the shoes feel tight around the toes etc.. because of the extra padding the insoles give.

I wear heels and have only had 2 pairs I've needed to take off, both of these were new. I think it's all to do wearing them in.

5 mins today. 10 mins a few days later up to the whole evening.

I recently considered wearing gold sandals to work to help wear them in. [emoji23]

See I would disagree with you there @Baggybear i used to work for next and had to wear their shoes and they have to be the most uncomfortable shoes in my life! But everyone is different! I think like @Grace_Hair said it's all about wearing them in try with a pair of thickish socks and walk round the house and keep bending your feet when your sat down, you could also try party feet in the balls of the shoes! The worst thing you can do is take them off the pain trying to put them back on will be unbareable! Depending on the style of shoe always make sure your nails are cut especially if they are a pointy toe style one x

Yes I'll try and wear them a bit everyday (my husband will be very pleased - he got very hot and bothered when I came down today tottering around). Baggybear- you must have very dainty feet- I've worn Next high heeled shoes in the past and was nearly crying in pain by the end of the night. I took them off as soon as I got in the car and had to drive bare foot. My feet seem too wide for them.

The shoes I've bought are cheap from Primark but the front is wide enough that my toes don't feel crushed - this fooled me into buying them! The sole is quite thin so I think the pressure is what is uncomfortable. Maybe it's because I'm a bit heavier and the extra weight is putting so much pressure on the feet. I've heard of people getting Botox in their feet but I wouldn't go that far! Xx

In that case what about getting an padded insole and cutting the toe part off and using it for support as well as a part foot maybe? I don't think the price of the shoe effects it tbh I have some Loubs and they ain't like a slipper which you would expect them to be for what you pay for them! Xx

Scholl do the party feet gel pads, I've always found heels from primark to be comfy though! Agree about next shoes being the most uncomfortable shoes ever, when I worked there I always had to change within an hour of my shift to my pumps from asda [emoji23][emoji23]

I only wear ankle strap heels with a platform for this exact reason. I can't walk in high heels otherwise :(

Scholl do the party feet gel pads, I've always found heels from primark to be comfy though! Agree about next shoes being the most uncomfortable shoes ever, when I worked there I always had to change within an hour of my shift to my pumps from asda [emoji23][emoji23]
With the last year of me working there they put a questionnaire up on the staff portal about their womens shoes and how comfy they are! all of us hated wearing the shoes the heels where the worst, the pumps were only just bareable

Don't misunderstand me, I just said that my most comfy pair of heels happen to be from Next, not that all Next shoes are comfy. The Next black patent heel shoes I have are with a cushioned sole (& I'm a heavier lass with size 7/8 feet so defo not dainty).
I think the main thing for me to be able to wear heels is having the cushioning under the ball of my feet so a good insole might help others. I don't rate the party feet gel insoles at all as they just are not enough padding for me, I need a propper insole (I try to use the memory foam ones where possible and cut them to just the front of the shoe if needed) cushioning under the ball of the foot is just my tip.

Baggybear I agree with you. All my Next heels are comfortable. Sorry to say I've binned any shoes bought from Primark after wearing them once - uncomfortable and they make my feet sweat.

Personally I feel it's all about the height of the heel. I've gradually over time gone higher but there is a height limit where it just makes my ankle ache. I have this lovely pair from Dune that have never been worn because they hurt the moment I put them on.

Maybe your heel is just a little too high for your first outing? Do you have a picture? :)

I am a self confessed shoe addict.

Different heels are comfortable to different people, it's all to do with the arch of the heel, point of gravity and how the foot bends (which is obviously different for different people).

Personally I find higher heels better than lower heels. Lol

Sad to say if they are that uncomfortable now they probably always will be! X

Botox or radiesse fillers .....extreme but are brilliant for relief when wearing heels especially if you wear heels all the time .....and instant pain relief X

They sound a bit tight all over.
I read that you can fill a zip lock bag with water and put it in the shoe then pop in the freezer. When the water freezes and expands it will stretch the shoe. I've never tried it though.
You can also get shoes stretched at the cobblers.
I always wear 5inch heels or more when I go out and recently at s hen do I was in agony with shoes I've worn plenty of times before, I told my ever so helpful husband that I was upset that my high heel wearing days may be over and he kindly told me it was because of all the weight I've been carrying these days. Lovely.

I also find it hard to wear heels and have found the only answer is to try them on before buying and if they feel uncomfortable at all - no matter how perfectly they go with my outfit - I DON'T buy them.
My most comfortable heels come from Next, I love them (they don't hurt at all), then my next comfortable heels are wedge fur trimed boots from Tesco (also don't hurt at all) but I think the secret for me is there has to be a cushioned base so I don't feel like I'm smacking my feet on the hard floor.
You could try some padded insoles but this can make the shoes feel tight around the toes etc.. because of the extra padding the insoles give.
I have lots and lots of shoes. They are my 'thing' and I just love them, especially heels. They do hurt but I have to agree with baggybear that Next are one of the most comfortable brands I've found for me and I have over 90 pairs of shoes at the last count! Next shoes just fit me well and take longer until the ache sets in...

These are the shoes! I bought some insoles today to try with them. The kiwi ones are thinner but leather. The others are quite thick and spongy but they show at the side of the shoe. Just tried them both and it actually has made a great difference! X
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1450030564.138338.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1450030600.483387.jpg

Are they just uncomfortable or do you think they are hurting because they aren't fitting right?
I don't have problem wearing heals for long periods of time - don't know how I got so lucky. But I also mound my shoes to my feet. And what I do is with my blow drying on high heat put it into the shoe, for ones like yours I would try to heat up where your toes go and went it's warm put them on and wear them for a bit. That said buying those pads you insert are great too!

I only wear ankle strap heels with a platform for this exact reason. I can't walk in high heels otherwise :(

Sane here. I look like a man I heels if they are too high!":D

If you want to wear them in grab some thick socks and pop them in the tumble dryer for 10 mins pop them on then put the shoes on and walk around for a bit, the heat relaxes the leather. Also ...Depending on the brand you can even pop the shoes in the tumble dryer for 10 mins with the socks.... Just pop them in a pillow case to minimise the risk of damage x

i have the gel pads/cushions they are so comfortable. i found as i get older i just cant walk in them. perhaps a nice stiff drink to give you the confidence to walk in them, mind over matter sometimes! I have heard a bag full of pennies helps weigh down the shoe to make them not wider but the slip on feel... i will try this and let you know! ;) xoxo

Latest posts

Back