Highlight help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clareh

Level 3 hairdresser, nail and brow tech
Reaction score
I asked about highlight techniques on an assymetric pixie the other day (no replies) but I actually got the chance to do some bright red lowlights on this lovely chap with a long side parted pomp style cut. I did horizontal chunky weaves at the front going back in a brickwork style to very fine and spaced out towards the back.
I feel that I could have angled them or used slices to make them even more visible on his dark hair- any suggestions? I want to practice on my mannekin but what can I use to mimic the placement without actually keeping redyeing the hair? I'm more confident with balayage than weaving but get stumped on short hair!

IMG_2265.jpg IMG_2266.jpg IMG_9926240.jpg

Try this foil placement for shorter hair. It's called the Spinning Wheel.
Take a circle around the crown and clip out of the way.
Take slices on diagonal sections and tint in alternate colours using 3 colours. Either very bold colours or subtle highlights but with enough of a contrast to show up.

Fab-u-lous!!!!thanks so much AcidPerm!!!! I'm thinking that I can utilise this in part too-the front if someone has long hair and a bold fringe? Im getting that the top circle "veils" over the colours. I'm still a bit stuck on practicing- I'm wondering if I can use my airbrush with water based paint (something like yellow would show up well) then I can play about then wash it out of my mannekin head lol - I'm an amateur artist so have lots of art supplies

Latest posts

Back