Highlights in short hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clareh

Level 3 hairdresser, nail and brow tech
Reaction score
Newby here.. I’ve got a few clients with short hair who like highlights in their hair. I either cap highlight or do traditional t section highlights but I’m not getting the effect either of us are looking for! I’ve attached a couple of photos of what they’ve shown me. Is it my technique, sectioning.. mine just look very uniform even when I alternate thickness or highlights. Thankfully none want a full head and like a darker root

Attachments

• DEA8567C-B496-4A0D-BF31-4F494A3E48D3.jpeg
    DEA8567C-B496-4A0D-BF31-4F494A3E48D3.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 51
  • FC019987-0145-4741-AB13-FC5144C4B0BC.png
    FC019987-0145-4741-AB13-FC5144C4B0BC.png
    778.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 9CA3CF6F-5003-4BA1-A4C2-1E80D844E6CE.png
    9CA3CF6F-5003-4BA1-A4C2-1E80D844E6CE.png
    927.4 KB · Views: 46
Newby here.. I’ve got a few clients with short hair who like highlights in their hair. I either cap highlight or do traditional t section highlights but I’m not getting the effect either of us are looking for! I’ve attached a couple of photos of what they’ve shown me. Is it my technique, sectioning.. mine just look very uniform even when I alternate thickness or highlights. Thankfully none want a full head and like a darker root
Some of these may be done with a freehand technique, or a different foiling format. Try a diagonal, rather than front to back for example, or work in triangular / diamond sections?

I’ve been looking at foil placements above- thank you. I feel like I’m being dumb as I don’t really understand the outcome if you diagonal foil across a part, would it be stripey if it’s a side part? I feel that maybe I still do too fine and close together foils, not leaving enough empty space to showcase the highlights. I’m getting my mannekin head out!

I’ve been looking at foil placements above- thank you. I feel like I’m being dumb as I don’t really understand the outcome if you diagonal foil across a part, would it be stripey if it’s a side part? I feel that maybe I still do too fine and close together foils, not leaving enough empty space to showcase the highlights. I’m getting my mannekin head out!
If you foil on a diagonal, then that will allow you to use a "brickwind" method, which will help stop the stripey look, and it will add dimension. As you will have random darker pieces, rather than dark, light, dark, light etc..

Latest posts

Back