Hiring an inexperienced therapist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xkayla_herex

Xamyx
Reaction score
I have just taken on a beauty therapist and am worrying if I have made the right decision. I have a small salon which tends to get busy. There is only one therapist in at a time during weekdays and then two of us the weekend. Because of this reason (therapist having to be on her own) i am thinking I may have picked the wrong girl. The new therapist I have taken on is a fully nvq3 beauty therapist but has not had much experience at all in a salon since leaving college. She has only been in for one day so far so I May be judging her unfairly and although I thought she was good at the trade test, the day she came in to work she didn't know how to do the simple things such as booking someone in the diary. She was fine with her treatments and time keeping but not that great on the phone and booking clients in, which I think is a really important factor. Do you think I have made the wrong decision and need someone more experience considering I will be eventually leaving this girl in the salon on her own to manage things?
How Long do you think not will take me to train this girl to be good at doing everything else other than treatments ( such as answering the phone, taking bookings, doing end of day takings, opening and closing up etc) she will be working here three days a week, two days on her own and one with me(obviously to start with I will be with her untill I feel confident to leave her on her own)
I know everyone is different but those who went into a salon without experience how long roughly did it take to get the hang if things? I liked the girl at the trade test as her treatments were good(although not 100%) but felt she deserves a chance as she really wanted the job and get working she seems keen to learn. Everyone has to start somewhere. I thought I would rather a nice girl who is good at treatments and can always progress over someone who I didn't really like but was more experienced.
Let me know your thoughts, will appreciate anyone's advice :)

It won't take her long to learn how to make appointments and answer the phone and do all the other non therapist duties you want her to do.

Give her a chance to get acquainted with the workings of the salon.

Make it clear how you want her to do things so she understands her role.

Do you remember how it was when you had to do these things yourself for the first time ... with no one around?

She will be ok. :cool:

Like any other job a little training is required. I've worked in 4 different hotels now and each one has different requirements for answering the phones and taking reservations. And every job that had some type of end of day "closing" process has had a completely different procedure. She can't possibly magically know exactly how you want it don't in YOUR salon.
Take some time to train her in the ways of your salon culture it won't take her too long.

Her treatments are done well and right. THAT'S the important thing. The rest is training fluff, don't worry it will be fine.

Have you thought about writing some work instructions? Step by step instructions of what you expect for each task (outside of the therapies). It's a very useful tool that ensures consistency and clarity and also acts as a 'checklist' for the employee.

She's probably really nervous & if she wanted the job so badly will want to get things right and impress you, so give her the training, make sure she knows what you expect and I'm sure she'll get there.

Good luck :wink2:

I agree with the other posts, it's probably her first time working in a salon which can be pretty overwhelming!
I was like that too but within 2 weeks I was extremely comfortable, booking clients in was abit confusing for myself as well, write down how much time each treatment will consume and when she shouldn't book someone in, leave that for her on the reception desk and she will eventually get the hang of it and since shes working alone she will feel much more confident and trust me I give it maximum one month she will be fine she just needs the experience :)
In regards to the phone she needs the confidence and slowly slowly she will learn how to act professional on the phone (i know this was abit difficult for me since i was really shy) but I got the hang of it ad everyone does!
Goodluck x

Thank you for your replies , I remember when I first started so i know I should be more understanding it's just different when the tables are turned as it's so important having good therapists that clients are happy with especially because the therapist who has just left (the new therapist has now taken over her days) was really good, really trustful, and the clients really liked her so I need a new good therapist to replace her.
I have wrote everything down for her as I know there's a lot to take in when you are just starting out so thought it will be good so she can read through things if she gets stuck, although I haven't written much about how to book clients in but I'm probably better of just showing her (which I'm going to do when she is next in) and I was thinking of maybe doing some sort if role playing- pretending I'm a client phoning up and see what she would say- then maybe when it the real thing she might feel more confidant? Also I thought of maybe writing down a few appointments needing to be booked in and getting her to write it in the diary so I can check and help her write it in properly (leaving enough space etc) are there any other ideas you can think of I can do to help her?
Thank you x

I agree with the others that she will pick it up quickly. The advantage is that you can show her how YOU want these things to be done, so she is fresh and not bringing any bad habits from elsewhere with her.
Also, she is not rushing into things and waiting to be shown rather than "knowing it all" and having to be told how not to do it.

Thank you for your replies , I remember when I first started so i know I should be more understanding it's just different when the tables are turned as it's so important having good therapists that clients are happy with especially because the therapist who has just left (the new therapist has now taken over her days) was really good, really trustful, and the clients really liked her so I need a new good therapist to replace her.
I have wrote everything down for her as I know there's a lot to take in when you are just starting out so thought it will be good so she can read through things if she gets stuck, although I haven't written much about how to book clients in but I'm probably better of just showing her (which I'm going to do when she is next in) and I was thinking of maybe doing some sort if role playing- pretending I'm a client phoning up and see what she would say- then maybe when it the real thing she might feel more confidant? Also I thought of maybe writing down a few appointments needing to be booked in and getting her to write it in the diary so I can check and help her write it in properly (leaving enough space etc) are there any other ideas you can think of I can do to help her?
Thank you x

The hairdressers downstairs make all our appointments for us.

On a laminated A4 piece of paper I typed every treatment up with the amount of time required and how many 'lines' to use in the diary.

It stays on the front of our diary with an elastic band to keep it in place.

I'm a good therapist in terms of treatments but I don't feel confident taking bookings on my first day in a new job.

I need to know opening times, how long each treatment takes, who can do the treatment and what day they're in the salon, are there any special offers on, are there any restrictions on what I'm authorised to do etc.

I don't think the issue here is the therapists experience if she's good at treatments. I think the issue is more with employers who expect immediate results with minimum training on company specific protocols. If you're going to let your new therapist go you might as well let all new employees go because you can't expect them to be psychic on their first day!

There is hope yet! :)

I've been in her shoes. Give her a chance, everyone has to start somewhere. The poor girl probably feels terrible about herself at the minute and overwhelmed by it all. I know when I walked into a job from college I felt like a huge burden by not being as good at answering the phone and booking people in etc. thankfully my boss and the girls I worked with were understand and made me feel comfortable. I picked it up really fast and after a week or two I was left at reception by myself with no problems at all.
As someone mentioned above this does work out well for you as you can teach her how it's done in YOUR salon with no bad habits. Plus because you will have taught her everything and been the first person to give her a chance she'll be more thankful and loyal to you.

Latest posts

Back