Holistic-What does it mean to you

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll crawl right back out then. lol

Views differ and the world wouldn't be the same without that.
You're right there,glad to see you again,LOL.Be a pretty boring world if we all thought the same eh:!:

After reading posts on Alternative therapys and one on steaming in which it was mentioned that steaming could be "holistic" I wanted to know what the word "holistic" means to you.

I was always of the understanding that it meant treating the person as a whole- body, mind and spirit. Is this actually possible as as a beauty therapist? Should we cross the boundary into the mind and spirit or should we really leave this to psychiatrists and spiritual leaders?

Is it just a buzz word used to promote alternative therapys?

What is it that clients are turning to beauty therapists for that they can not get from others?

I feel that is our duty of care to listen to a clients needs and provide a sensitive treatment to promote mental and physical well being through touch and caring, but feel that some therapys and practicioners cross the line providing pseudoscience to the client taking them down a path away from conventional medicine that could help them more.

I have experiened colour therapy (for a friend to practice) at a time that I was very vunerable and it made me cry because of the buzz words "pain" and "release" that the therapist was using. I have also practiced aromatherapy on a client (which I no longer do) and they felt I had "healed them".

Any thoughts?

x
When i hear the word holistic more remedial therapies comes to mind rather than coplimentry.
Sarah xx

When i hear the word holistic more remedial therapies comes to mind rather than coplimentry.
Sarah xx

I qualified with VTCT as a Holistic Therapist, on our course we covered remedial and complementary. We covered swedish, aromatherapy and reflexology. All of which can be remedial and I think of aromatherapy and reflexology as complementary too. I have had very good remedial results with both aroma and reflexology.

They can be used in a complementary way to modern medicine as long as your GP is happy with this if you have a specific condition. A college friend of mine is now working as a holistic therapist in her GP's surgery and they regularly refer their patients to her for a multitude of problems.

Latest posts

Back