Holistic-What does it mean to you

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is all very interesting. I'm kinda tempted to create a new "alternative therapy" and see if it catches on!!

:lol:

Fab thread I am loving it.

I had this exact conversation with a Holistic Therapist the other day. I was asking her what the difference is between my Swedish massage and her Holistic Massage. Without getting too technical she basically said that Swedish is routine and works on places where client says that they have problems i.e neck and shoulders. She can actually see and feel where client has problems by using her 'energy and insight'.

Anyway, my point is she does Reflex Crystal Healing and holistic massage, in my eyes she is an expert in her field, although I use holistic movements in my massage I am no where near as 'holistic' as she is! I certainly can't heal back pain with just hands on healing! (she has done wonders for my siatica!).

Well that is just my view on holistic, I can't wait for more replies to this.
K x

Fab thread I am loving it.

I had this exact conversation with a Holistic Therapist the other day. I was asking her what the difference is between my Swedish massage and her Holistic Massage. Without getting too technical she basically said that Swedish is routine and works on places where client says that they have problems i.e neck and shoulders. She can actually see and feel where client has problems by using her 'energy and insight'.

Anyway, my point is she does Reflex Crystal Healing and holistic massage, in my eyes she is an expert in her field, although I use holistic movements in my massage I am no where near as 'holistic' as she is! I certainly can't heal back pain with just hands on healing! (she has done wonders for my siatica!).

Well that is just my view on holistic, I can't wait for more replies to this.
K x

So what does she do that is different to your massage?

Hi Oey

Good question. I am gonna book in with her next week. I will be able to tell you then. I am dying to know too! I presume that she has a routine but tends to use 'hands on healing' for any areas that need work and does a little bit of unblocking and getting energy flow back on areas.

She did about 20 mins of hands on healing on my back, and I could literally feel hot and cold from her hands through my clothes and a towel, I don't know if I will feel this in the massage.
K x

I hurt my back,really badly in June and one of my clients does the hands on healing,cant remember what its called at the moment.Anyway I was giving her a hand massage while she was having her non surgi face lift and she said she was going to try to heal me.Didn't help unfortunately.She really believes in Karma and all that.I dont really know what I think about hands on healing.I never say never.

Ingham's work on reflexology arose from her studies at the Shelby-Riley school of chiropractics, the proprietors of which championed Dr Fitzgerald's research into Zone Therapy as a method of alleviating pain. There is certainly pictorial evidence that foot massage was practiced by ancient civilisations, but we have no way of knowing whether the massage used by the Egyptians, for example, used reflex points bearing any resemblance to our modern "foot maps" (which even today seem to vary from person to person, lol!). Indeed, although there are some similarities between the acupuncture points used in Chinese medicine and the Western reflex zones of the feet, there are also many differences.

Lol, I agree completely - I love reflexology, but would never use it as a diagnostic tool or claim it can "cure" anything. Interestingly, I believe researchers in Southampton were recently conducting studies into the use of reflexology as an anaesthetic for minor medical procedures - this harks back to it's roots in Zone Therapy, it seems we've come full circle!! :green:

(sorry, gone off topic a bit there!)

Andy x
Edited to clarify points :)

I studied a little Zone Therapy with a superb lecturer and the above is my understanding of Reflexology as well.

I agree some people jump on the bandwagon but not everyone is a charlatan.

My own view is if the client receives a benefit then the treatment is worthwhile. For example my aunt after a bereavement was very ill with no known cause (likely to be stress) I gave her regular manicure and pedicures which although not holistic most definitely gave her BODY a prettier look, her MIND something other to focus on and her SPIRIT had the most noticeable effect, she felt more confident and ready to face the doctors trying to baffle her with different diagnosis.

I also practice Indian Head Massage on her which relieves her tension and aids her sleep.

Both treatments couldn't be more different but they have the same effect they BENEFIT her.

Holistic can be good for you as a person i do it on myself i have a bad back and knee and i do reiki on them which really dose help :) you must remember that when you do treatments on people you are just help them you must never never tell them you think there have a illness you may wish to tell them it may be a good idea to see a doctor but be very careful:confused: how you tell them we didn't train to be doctors

Ooh just to add something else to this I watched a t.v program about a lady investigating alternative holistic therapys as her father was ill and dying. She discovered a study in which a patient was told they were going to have an operation to heal a real symptom in their body (think it may have been knee problems, sorry to be vague) anyway what they did was anesthetise him and then when he was woken up they told him that he was healed.

Anyhoo after the "fake" operation he felt better and could walk again, thus proving that the body can heal itself just by thinking yourself better. Mind over matter, could this have a part to play in alternative therapy healing? People with a positive outlook seem to recover better.

This lady found that although she could see no scientific reason for these therapies to work she did find the hope, given by the doctors in his case, that there may be some way to improve her fathers standard of living with his terminal illness helped him to live longer...

My own view is if the client receives a benefit then the treatment is worthwhile. For example my aunt after a bereavement was very ill with no known cause (likely to be stress) I gave her regular manicure and pedicures which although not holistic most definitely gave her BODY a prettier look, her MIND something other to focus on and her SPIRIT had the most noticeable effect, she felt more confident and ready to face the doctors trying to baffle her with different diagnosis.

Marti, you've summed it up beautifully. In our own way I believe we all do this job in order to make our clients feel better, whether it's through a gorgeous set of nails, a face treatment, or a relaxing massage - and what a wonderful thing to be able to offer people, especially in this manic world!

Crystaltash just posted on another thread that she loves nothing better than seeing someone walk out the salon with a smile on their face - I couldn't agree more!

Andy x

Hi holistic to me means treating the person as a "whole". When i do an eyelash tint or set of nail enhancements i am not being holistic - i am basically treating on a beautifying level only, when i do thermo auricular therapy or aromatherapy i believe its holistically as i treat their mind, body and spirit. But i can only "treat" them this holistic way if they want to be treated this way and fully understand what im trying to acheive. Does that make sense?
E.g! My mum has MS and she suffers from insomnia and often has tinnitis too, so i do her thermo auricular (ear candling), when i do this she is relieved from the physical of the Tinnitis and also the physiological of her insomina - she never has to take sleeping tablets that evening as she is so relaxed, and because shes so relaxed her anxiety lessens too, i couldnt do that by doing her nails! Do you get what i mean or am i going off on one here?!!:hug:

Hey Axion as you seem to know a bit about it and I'm interested to know how this modern day reflexology using zone therapy is meant to work please?

:)

In my understanding from my training (which still mystifys me) the original practices unblocked Chi/Qi/energy channels (whatever these mystical energys are and however they get blocked) how is zone therapy/foot mapping working is it meant to be through the nerves? or still a belief in blocked energy? If it worked then surely someone who lost their feet would have damage done to all bodily functions? or if you hit your big toe would you feel it in your head? help explain please :)

:hug: Hi there just read your post. Iam a qualified beauty therapist and when i was training we were taught to use the holistic approach,you are correct in saying it is the whole being "the whole person" this is what holistic means.
Hope this clarifies it for you,
luv selic xxxxxx:lol:

:hug: Hi there just read your post. Iam a qualified beauty therapist and when i was training we were taught to use the holistic approach,you are correct in saying it is the whole being "the whole person" this is what holistic means.
Hope this clarifies it for you,
luv selic xxxxxx:lol:

Absolutely Selica, but how do you personally go about treating the mind and soul in your therapies?

x

:hug: WHEN YOU USE THE HOLISTIC TERM IT WAS USED FOR US GUYS WHEN WE WERE DOING THE BODY MASSAGE TREATMENTS.aS I SAID HOLISTIC MEANS WHOLE BEING. SO FOR INSTANCE WHEN YOU ARE DOING SAY A FULL BODY MASSAGE THE CLIENT CAN GET VERY EMOTIONAL THIS IS WHERE THE WHOLE BEING COMES IN, SO NOT ONLY WOULD YOU CARRY ON DOING A MASSAGE YOU WOULD THEN HAVE TO CALM THE CLIENT DOWN AND TALK TO THEM.YOUR NOT JUST DOING A PHYSICAL TREATMENT YOU ARE ALSO IN THIS EXAMPLE HELPING WITH THE MIND,AND THIS IS DONE WITH YOUR SOCIAL SKILLS YOU LEARN ON THE COURSE..WE WERE TAUGHT TO LOOK AT A PERSON AS A WHOLE BEING WITH THE BODY MASSAGE AND NOT JUST THE PHYSICAL BEING.HOPE THIS CLARIFIES SOME BIT FOR YOU.

SELIC :hug: XXXXXXXX

In my understanding from my training (which still mystifys me) the original practices unblocked Chi/Qi/energy channels (whatever these mystical energys are and however they get blocked) how is zone therapy/foot mapping working is it meant to be through the nerves? or still a belief in blocked energy? If it worked then surely someone who lost their feet would have damage done to all bodily functions? or if you hit your big toe would you feel it in your head? help explain please :)

My understanding of modern reflexology (and this may not fit with the belief or understanding of others) is that specific points on the hands and feet are believed to correspond with individual organs and systems of the body - you often hear reflexologists describe the feet as a "mirror" of the body. The idea is that "imbalances" or "patterns of stress" can be detected and treated indirectly by the application of pressure and movement to the feet/hands.

Some believe that reflexology works due to a neural response within the body (pressure on the nerve endings of the feet and hands eliciting a sympathetic response elsewhere in the body). Some think that it is indeed down to an unblocking of these mysterious meridians/energy lines. Others say it's the physiological and psychological effects of a good old-fashioned massage which have the greatest impact in helping the body to release stress and repair itself. Maybe the simple comfort of human touch is beneficial in itself? Or is it all placebo effect and voodoo?? :green:

In answer to your last couple of questions... well, my understanding is that although the reflex zones on the hands and feet mirror other parts of the body, they aren't dependant on each other - so no, losing a foot would not damage other parts of the body in the way you suggest (although some reflexologists would disagree with me!!). Banging your big toe would probably produce stars in your head though, and possibly even a headache, lol :lol:

I'm certainly no expert on the subject, those are just my thoughts - I don't understand it all myself, and like to think of myself as a healthy sceptic!

Andy x

As a holistic therapist I practise aromatherapy, indian head massage, advanced reflexology and good old swedish. I work holistically and feel that the benefits of these treatments work from the inside out as opposed to beauty treatments and other enhancement treatments such as nails that work from the outside in, if you get my drift. Having qualified in nails prior to doing my holistics I had a bit of a wrench when doing my first holistic qualification as I felt that they contradicted each other as one was more about glam and perception than inner peace and relaxation. I have come to terms with this now and recognise that for some people public perception is part of who they are and without it they would not be happy people.

I do believe that a truly holistic therapist can make a difference to a client's wellbeing. Miracle cures aside, just the touch from a therapist (or anyone else with good intention) can help people. Some people just need to feel cared for.

If you lift their spirit and help relieve their stresses then clients may feel that you've "cured" them. After all stress is one of the most common causes of "dis-ease" and without it is amazing what symptoms disappear.

I have to say though I read an article in Woman, I think, and then visited the website of a reflexology practitioner who calls herself "The Babymaker". She has a track record of assisting sub-fertility clients but the claim of her title may be misleading. How many couples has she not "cured" that she doesn't mention. There are no guarantees with holistic therapies. I myself have successfully helped a couple of people with conception but I wouldn't advertise the fact on a website it just seems a bit crass and this to me is the moneyspinning end of holisitcs. I am all up for promotion, but having seen many friends over the years (pre-training) go through the desperate desire for a baby it just seems like giving false hope. I'd much rather have clients who come to me because they've heard that I've helped people rather than because of a sensationalised piece of journalism.

Sorry I'll get of my high horse now - just needed to get that off my chest.

Anyway the holistic definition to me is all about inner peace as without this there is no calm and without calm you can't relax and destress which leads to holistic wellbeing.

As a holistic therapist I practise aromatherapy, indian head massage, advanced reflexology and good old swedish. I work holistically and feel that the benefits of these treatments work from the inside out as opposed to beauty treatments and other enhancement treatments such as nails that work from the outside in, if you get my drift. Having qualified in nails prior to doing my holistics I had a bit of a wrench when doing my first holistic qualification as I felt that they contradicted each other as one was more about glam and perception than inner peace and relaxation. I have come to terms with this now and recognise that for some people public perception is part of who they are and without it they would not be happy people.

I do believe that a truly holistic therapist can make a difference to a client's wellbeing. Miracle cures aside, just the touch from a therapist (or anyone else with good intention) can help people. Some people just need to feel cared for.

If you lift their spirit and help relieve their stresses then clients may feel that you've "cured" them. After all stress is one of the most common causes of "dis-ease" and without it is amazing what symptoms disappear.

I have to say though I read an article in Woman, I think, and then visited the website of a reflexology practitioner who calls herself "The Babymaker". She has a track record of assisting sub-fertility clients but the claim of her title may be misleading. How many couples has she not "cured" that she doesn't mention. There are no guarantees with holistic therapies. I myself have successfully helped a couple of people with conception but I wouldn't advertise the fact on a website it just seems a bit crass and this to me is the moneyspinning end of holisitcs. I am all up for promotion, but having seen many friends over the years (pre-training) go through the desperate desire for a baby it just seems like giving false hope. I'd much rather have clients who come to me because they've heard that I've helped people rather than because of a sensationalised piece of journalism.

Sorry I'll get of my high horse now - just needed to get that off my chest.

Anyway the holistic definition to me is all about inner peace as without this there is no calm and without calm you can't relax and destress which leads to holistic wellbeing.
I personally dont think anyone should be saying that they helped a person to conceive,after all who's to say that the female wouldn't have got pregnant anyway?with IVF treatments costing a small fortune I really dont think a reflexology treatment would help anybody conceive.I think it could give many couples false hope to make claims such as these.Sorry,I am not trying to be funny here or anything.
I myself had a great deal of problems falling pregnant with my first child,I conceived naturally in time,however,I personally think I was just lucky,I wasn't thinking about it 24/7 as I had been and I think my body was ready.I wasn't even more relaxed about things either.I had just got a new job in a laboratory making contact lenses and I had just moved,not exactly a relaxed state to be in.
It would be nice if reflexology could help with conception but I think it's very unlikely given the complexity of mother nature.I would think it very presumptuous to start telling people that I had helped couples conceive.Be it on a website or any other way.:)

I think that if the mind is removed from a problem then sometimes it frees the body to do what it needs to do. So if you are preoccupied elsewhere this can help.

I don't claim to have "made" my two clients conceive, they did that on their own. Relaxation can help, but coincidence in treatments and pregnancy does make you wonder as a therapist. I know many reflexologists that have had similar experiences and as I said in my post I don't agree with guaranteeing or raising peoples hopes. If they hear that you have helped others and come to you you can only lay it on the line and explain that it may or may not help it is up to them to reach their own conclusion as to whether it does. If they fall pregnant after how ever many years trying other ways whilst a client then it's either coincidence or it has helped.

Don't shoot me I'm not claiming "Babymaker" status.:sad: I only mentioned it as a way of showing how things can be taken too far and to share my experiences as a therapist.

It is an emotive subject and we could carry on for pages about the rights and wrongs, belief systems etc. I'm going back under my rock........ lol

I think that if the mind is removed from a problem then sometimes it frees the body to do what it needs to do. So if you are preoccupied elsewhere this can help.

I don't claim to have "made" my two clients conceive, they did that on their own. Relaxation can help, but coincidence in treatments and pregnancy does make you wonder as a therapist. I know many reflexologists that have had similar experiences and as I said in my post I don't agree with guaranteeing or raising peoples hopes. If they hear that you have helped others and come to you you can only lay it on the line and explain that it may or may not help it is up to them to reach their own conclusion as to whether it does. If they fall pregnant after how ever many years trying other ways whilst a client then it's either coincidence or it has helped.

Don't shoot me I'm not claiming "Babymaker" status.:sad: I only mentioned it as a way of showing how things can be taken too far and to share my experiences as a therapist.

It is an emotive subject and we could carry on for pages about the rights and wrongs, belief systems etc. I'm going back under my rock........ lol
You're right it's a very emotive subject,it would be lovely if you helped,but as you say,it could be coincidence,nobody will ever know for sure.:hug: You dont need to crawl under any rock hun:) xx

I'll crawl right back out then. lol

Views differ and the world wouldn't be the same without that.

Latest posts

Back