Home made products- what do i need

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fay

Reaction score
Hey everypne

im looking into making my own products such as - soaps and bath salts etc and im just wondering what do i need as far as licencing and cover?

any tips would be gratefully recieved:green:

xxx

Hi
This is a bit complicated and long so sorry in advance!! but it depends on whether you just want to use the products on yourself or use them on clients or want to make them to sell.
If you want to use the products on yourself only then you can try Neals yard, id aromatics etc there area few around, (they sell base products for you to make your own creams etc). You can get a book for recipes for making creams etc try googling or amazon there are loads about.

If you want to make products to use on clients you need to make sure you do a consultation with the client prior to mixing up each individiual cream etc so the product is tailor made for them ie a massage oil/treatment balm etc - you also need to keep a record of what you made and what was in it etc and keep it with your client record card, you are allowed to charge for this but only if it is tailormade like this.

If you want to make products to sell to clients ie make up a batch of face cream and pot it then sell it it gets a bit more complicated -
you can make the products yourself but need a product safety certificate for each product you sell, the product would have to be tested by a lab for safety and composition which costs approx £150-200 per product. You would need to make sure the products had batch numbers so could be traced, there are also a lot of regulations regarding labelling and weights and measures etc.
There are a set of regulations called the Cosmetic safety regulations which if you google will bring up all the regulations relating to making cosmetics/creams etc which should help you.
I contacted my local trading standards office and environmental health about this and the information they gave me is what i've listed above.
Hope it helps - happy mixing!!
choccy x x x

Hey hun thanx alot for the advice - its more complicated than i thought it would be:rolleyes:! im wanting to sell products at events such as summers fairs etc where im also going to be doing treatments so im going to follow what you said.
Thanks again:lol:
xxxxx

In this months Scratch magazine, there is an article about a lady who makes her own products. I think she is called green fingers or something, anyway what she does is makes all organic stuff.

If anyone on here has seen the article and can remember her salon name, then it might be worth-while getting in contact with her.

Where in South Yorkshire are you based?

xx

Making your own products is surprisingly simple, and there are some great companies out there who can help with ingredients, packaging, recipies etc. One of them I have used in the past is Natural skin care with Aromantic Ltd

Also have a look on Yahoo! Groups, for example the UKSoaping group deals with home made soaps but has lots of useful information and links to suppliers.

Good luck!
Mat xx

Im based in Sheffield. where can i get that magazine from?

Thanks for all the tips everyone!!:hug:

xxxxx

Im based in Sheffield. where can i get that magazine from?

Thanks for all the tips everyone!!:hug:

xxxxx

I live in Barnsley but own a nail salon in Penistone :hug:

It is a magazine for nail professionals. I know that it is all over ebay, the issue with the woman making her own stuff is April 2008 issue. Beyonce knowles is on the front wearing agreen dress. However, you can also subscribe to it by visiting the Scratch website. It is Scratch - The Forum For Nail Professionals...

If you have insurance with BABTAC too, they will send it to you for free. nI can't find my copy to tell you about this woman. How annoying is that. I think I've left it on the train when I went to London the other weekend to see the FA Cup semi finals.

xx

In this months Scratch magazine, there is an article about a lady who makes her own products. I think she is called green fingers or something, anyway what she does is makes all organic stuff.

If anyone on here has seen the article and can remember her salon name, then it might be worth-while getting in contact with her.

Where in South Yorkshire are you based?

xx

I've found the details of the lady I was telling you about. Her name is Naomi Andersson and her salon is called Green Hands. Her website is Green Hands - Welcome to Green Hands, her email is [email protected] and her phonenumber is 01568 612 426.

She is based in Hertfordshire and makes all of her own products and retails them out to her clients. She may be able to offer you some advice into how to go about it.

Natalie

xxx

thanks for finding the info for me its a huge help:green:

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back