Home/mobile therapists - card machines

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GracefulH&B

Reaction score
Hey Guys. Do any you who are home/mobile therapists have a credit/debit card machine? I've always had the occasional client asking me if I take cards but since I expanded my treatments recently, I've had a lot more people asking me if I take cards and I've also lost out on a lot of retail sales so it would seem that I need to get a card machine (my nearest hole in the wall is 1 1/2 miles away). However, I'm sure that I read on here recently that a home based therapist had had problems getting a machine and wondered if this was the norm. I've been reading all the posts on here about machines so I have a big long list of people to ring and get quotes although Barclays seems to be good at the moment. So was just wondering anyway, if there were many home/mobile therapists that had card machines and who you had them with.

Thanx xxx

Try CCS they offered me a fab deal the other day and I was about to go with Barclays who wanted 1.5% off both debit and credit cards, CCS offered me 16p per debit card and 1.3% credit cards. Xxx

I have a paypal account and used it to add 'add to cart' on my website. If anybody wants to pay by card whether they have a paypal account or not its not a problem. Most clients can do it off their phone, if not they can use mine!

I'm only a small business and offer spray tanning, facepainting and glitter tattoo's atm. I only have spray tan and deposit options for payment via website. If clients want to pay more/alternative amount then they can via paypal.

It's not suitable for everybody but ideal for me atm.

Quite a few if my clients pay me directly into my business bank account, I give them account number and sort code. Saves me getting a card machine and so far I have had no probs but I would only allow this for clients I knew not someone I hadn't worked with before.

Lil'Gem I love this idea!

i also do the bank transfers, best thing ever as its free!! 😀

I have a home salon and i had no problem getting a card machine. I went with lloyds TSB cardnet and they have been great. I pay £11.99 a month rental, £5.00 min charge and 13p for debits and 1.3% for credit cards. I would say about 25% of my clients pay by card now but I'm expecting it to go up nearer xmas.

Thanks for all your responses. How does the installation of card machine work? Does whoever you go with come and set it up for you or do they send you everything in the post and you set it up?

I received mine through a courier and setting up was as easy as plugging the machine in. I got a cd with instructions on but i didn't bother to watch it as the machine is so simple to use.

I have just signed up for "SumUp". Its a little gadget that attaches to your iphone to take card payments.

It is free, the app is free and they take Visa as well as Mastercard. I am just waiting for it to arrive now so will post an update here, or on one of these links which keep popping up, to let you know how it goes.

Also looked at mPOWA and will get it if SumUp doesn't work out.

I have izettle but it doesn't accept Visa yet in the uk. They don't know how long it will be either until it does.

Square isn't available here yet either.

I have a home salon and i had no problem getting a card machine. I went with lloyds TSB cardnet and they have been great. I pay £11.99 a month rental, £5.00 min charge and 13p for debits and 1.3% for credit cards. I would say about 25% of my clients pay by card now but I'm expecting it to go up nearer xmas.
does this not work out as expensive? do you have to have a landline for this?

No you dont need a landline, so you save on those charges.

Its 2.75% per transaction, and as I mainly take cash it wont be too bad.

Its a device that plugs into your iphone etc and you can take it everywhere with you. It accepts Visa as well as Mastercard, so that covers us. Other devices have only accepted Mastercard before so its great that it takes both.

PayPal Here is available here yet. Also Square is also good but again not available here yet.

Will update everyone when I get it and use it.

Don't bother with SumUp they want TOO much personal info.

Going to check out mPowa now.
Will update when I have more info for you.

Latest posts

Back