Home salon-what can't you do?

cheekychick

Hi all,
Questions for home salon owners really.
Trying to work out if it would be worth it.
I have the room and everything to get started. I'm just wondering advertising wise, what can't you do?
Like for example: you aren't allowed to put a sign on the side of your house are you?
What sort of things do I have to do to make sure everything is up to standard for the public to come into the house. ( toilet/sink, health & safety in the house etc)

Sorry if I don't make sense, I'm just deciding wether to quit my salon job and go it alone from home. As I'm spending more on travel & products than I'm earning :(
Thanks
Sam
Xx

Hiya,

According to my council I didn't have to be inspected or anything. They didn't have a list of 'must haves' either. I would recommend contacting your council re: any H&S requirements as I think they differ - especially with regard to refuse collection and if you are doing electrolysis or any treatment using a needle.

cheekychick

Hiya,

According to my council I didn't have to be inspected or anything. They didn't have a list of 'must haves' either. I would recommend contacting your council re: any H&S requirements as I think they differ - especially with regard to refuse collection and if you are doing electrolysis or any treatment using a needle.
Thank you. :)
It would be just nails, brows & eyelashes to begin with.
Ill check a few things out with the council tomorrow. x

The public don't have to have access to toilet facilities. As for signage ask your council as it alters a lot. Some places are allowed no signage, others non illuminated signs, others can have illuminated. That's all the council's choice. You can though advertise within your home by putting a sign in the window. Xoxo

Would be really interested to hear how you get on, I think we're under the same council and I had a nightmare with them no-one returned my calls then I got a letter in the post to say that my application (I hadn't made any application) to open a beauty parlour at my address had been denied because it would be changing the main purpose of the property to business instead of residence - talk about miss the point! I only wanted to do a few sets of nails from home every week!

So u can advertise with a small sign inside your salon window?

But for anything else council needs to be contacted?

I live in Australia so every country differs with their laws & policies, in AU we're allowed to have signage or banners up from home but only if we're registered as a business by law. If where ever you live doesn't llow you to do so, I would take the next step by getting registered as a business and it's better to say tht you don't know if your business will profiteer yet and it's also a hobby to you, because sometimes they will deny your application to make your home into a business location. After being approved you should change the status of your application by stating that it is now a business that has a yearly turn over. But like I said every country is different :D
Being a home salon owner is definitely worth it, if you're not allowed to have signage out the front then I would advertise by doing leaflet drops, Facebook and etc.
Goodluck x

I believe every council is different. Its best just to call yours and ask.
I was told by mine, that clients would not be allowed to use my family bathroom, due to cross contamination, & therefore i would need separate toilet facilities.