Home salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorrettax

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I have recently trained in individual lashes and next week I start my NVQ level 2 in beauty therapy. Ultimately I would like to work out of my mums spare room in her house. She is hardly ever home and I will have a few hours to work whilst my daughter is at school. I know I will need to register as self-employed but is there anything I need to do in regards to the salon side of things. Any guidelines I will need to follow etc? I know I will have to write to my mums housing association etc, do I need to inform the council too?

Any help/advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance x

You'll need HA and Council permission and tbh, I can't see them allowing it but I'm not 100% sure. Not had any experience or heard experience with that but hopefully, someone else who has been through it can advise for sure, just my gut feeling.

Just remember working school hours only will limit your potential clientele massively.

You need to register as self-employed, sort out your taxes so make sure you keep receipts etc of stuff you buy for the business. You'll need business insurance and your mum will need to let her home insurance know so they can exclude that room.

Also, take into account any benefits you may or may not receive will be affected so you'll need to let them know you'll be self-employed.

You'll need HA and Council permission and tbh, I can't see them allowing it but I'm not 100% sure. Not had any experience or heard experience with that but hopefully, someone else who has been through it can advise for sure, just my gut feeling.

Just remember working school hours only will limit your potential clientele massively.

You need to register as self-employed, sort out your taxes so make sure you keep receipts etc of stuff you buy for the business. You'll need business insurance and your mum will need to let her home insurance know so they can exclude that room.

Also, take into account any benefits you may or may not receive will be affected so you'll need to let them know you'll be self-employed.

Thanks for your reply..

I have verbally spoken to the HA & they said to put it in writing which I will be doing shortly and I've just been advised as to which council departments I need to speak to as no one in the council seemed to know.

I will be working school hours and after school. I already have a part-time job so will be fitting in beauty around this and my daughter. Hoping beauty picks up allowing me to do it full time.

I've also been advised to get "working from home" insurance... I have never heard of this previously so I will need to research.

The benefit side I have sorted but thank you x

Latest posts

Back