Home Study courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaute

Reaction score
Hi

I am currently studying beauty therapy at home. I feel as though employers won't take me on as I haven't done the course at college.

When I qualify I will have an NVQ level 3.

What are your views on this?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks.
Beaute.

OPI trained manicurist.

May I ask who you are studying with?

Hi,

I'm studying with homestudy.net

Are you doing a home study course, if so who with.

----------------------------------------------------------
Beaute

I'm not currently but I have been browsing recently at all the ones on offer.

beaute said:
Hi,

I'm studying with homestudy.net

Are you do a home study course, if so who with.

----------------------------------------------------------
Beaute

Can I ask how it works?
Do you get a dvd or something?

i am always a little wary of these things, mainly because i don't know enough. what i wonder is how do you practise? who shows you what to do? how do you know that your are waxing right if nobody is there to help you?

do you feelyou get enough experience? do you feel confident? do you feel that you know what you're doing? if you have faith in yourself...why shouldn;t anyone else?

However, i am interested to know how this course works and how you learn x

kadie said:
i am always a little wary of these things, mainly because i don't know enough. what i wonder is how do you practise? who shows you what to do? how do you know that your are waxing right if nobody is there to help you?

do you feelyou get enough experience? do you feel confident? do you feel that you know what you're doing? if you have faith in yourself...why shouldn;t anyone else?

However, i am interested to know how this course works and how you learn x

That's what I was a little concerned about.
For me personally I need someone in front of me so I can fire questions at them.

beaute said:
Hi

I am currently studying beauty therapy at home. I feel as though employers won't take me on as I haven't done the course at college.

When I qualify I will have an NVQ level 3.

What are your views on this?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks.
Beaute.

OPI trained manicurist.
I did all my training at college and it was a long old slog.There was an exceptional amount of theory with level 3 but there was an awful lot of practical too.Do you go to college or somewhere to practice each week? I'm intrigued as I didn't know you could do NVQ's at home. Its an excellent qualification to have and many salons want therapists with level 3 however bear in mind that a lot of salons want therapists with experience to.Its harsh as you have to start somewhere I know.You will do a trade test when you go for an interview and I'm sure that if you do well at the interview/trade test then really, there should be no reason for a salon to say no just because you have done a home course.You wouldn't pass if you weren't capable.Good luck.:)

bubbabinks said:
Can I ask how it works?
Do you get a dvd or something?

Hi bubbabinks,

They send you an assignment folder. When you complete assignments then you return them for marking. The practical side is supposed to be done on friends and family.

They don't send a DVD.

Beaute.

Hi Beaute
I have just pm'd you

Hi Gemma,

I have just replied.

:cry: why have you Pm'd eachother? I think this thread was really interesting and now it has been cut short. share the info!

Thanks Beaute for the info.
www.homestudynet.com beauty therapy course CM09 £195

Defo going to have a look, see whats involved.

bubbabinks said:
Thanks Beaute for the info.
www.homestudynet.com beauty therapy course CM09 £195

Defo going to have a look, see whats involved.

Thats all I'd asked for Kadie too, sorry if you thought we cut it short.

can i just say, if you are going to do a home learn course then stick with essential nails
www.essentailnails.com
it is the only one i am aware of that once passed you can get public liabiltiy insurance.
if doing a home learn course then you must realise that education is an ongoing thing,
i did homelearn 3 courses because of having 3 kids at home no help but...once the opportunity arose i went onto do classroom training.
if you go to "search" and type in essentail or home learn there are hundreds of threads

beaute said:
Hi bubbabinks,

They send you an assignment folder. When you complete assignments then you return them for marking. The practical side is supposed to be done on friends and family.

They don't send a DVD.

Beaute.
Hi, can I ask how can you do your electrical treatments,i.e faradics,galvanics G5 etc? do you have to take your friends/family to a training centre or something? I only ask because I have a dear friend who would love to do level 3 but she has young kids and she really cant go to college for 2 yrs.This would be ideal.

kadie said:
:cry: why have you Pm'd eachother? I think this thread was really interesting and now it has been cut short. share the info!

Hi all,

The course is Beauty Therapy CM09 £195

You will receive these materials:
National Home Study supply the materials required.

Welcome pack,Study guide, study folders and course modules,Assessment tasks, course readers and texts,Full individual tutorial support service,Diploma and academic references,Job seeker pack and careers advisory service.

An ideal introduction course for student wishing to learn and practice massage and beauty therapy at clinic level. Topics covered within this course include:

Human biology and physiology,
Beauty therapy - overview of clinical practice,
Treatments,
Underlying principles,
Massage and aromatherapy - an introduction,
Primary essential oils,
Theories of treatment and the beneficial effects of essential oils,
Basic massage techniques,
Advance massage techniques,
Skin and complexion,
Make-up,
Manicure and pedicure,
Hair and health,
Depilation,
Weight control and diet,
Good health maintenance,
Moral and ethical issues,
Practice.

Hope this helps everyone.

BABSann said:
Hi, can I ask how can you do your electrical treatments,i.e faradics,galvanics G5 etc? do you have to take your friends/family to a training centre or something? I only ask because I have a dear friend who would love to do level 3 but she has young kids and she really cant go to college for 2 yrs.This would be ideal.

The course doesn't involve electrical treatments. I have to do that at after this course with another company.

also have a look at www.connect2beauty.co.uk - they do NVQ2 & 3 recognised by BABTAC and EDEXCEL. Most of the practical sessions are actually held in the Capital Hair and Beauty branches around the UK, and the theory work is done online and marked online. Obviously you have to make up a portfolio and attend assessments sessions which are assessed by internal and external exam verifiers.

And before you ask, no i dont work for them!!

Latest posts

Back