Horse Care products causing lift?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
I recently obtained a new client who has horses.
She suffers lift within days and this apparently has happened with other technicians too.
Both with UV Gel and with Acrylic.
They quite literally fall off, without any damage to the nail plate, as if they had never been stuck in the first place.

I tried everything I know, to no avail.

HOWEVER, she does give "sports massages" to horses and hires herself out for this.
I sent her an inquiry for the ingredients listed in the products used to see if there might be a connection.

Has anyone any insight to offer? I don't know the first thing about caring for a horse, so I've no idea what products she might be using that would be contra-indicated for nail enhancements.

Thanks!

I recently obtained a new client who has horses.
She suffers lift within days and this apparently has happened with other technicians too.
Both with UV Gel and with Acrylic.
They quite literally fall off, without any damage to the nail plate, as if they had never been stuck in the first place.

I tried everything I know, to no avail.

HOWEVER, she does give "sports massages" to horses and hires herself out for this.
I sent her an inquiry for the ingredients listed in the products used to see if there might be a connection.

Has anyone any insight to offer? I don't know the first thing about caring for a horse, so I've no idea what products she might be using that would be contra-indicated for nail enhancements.

Thanks!

Don't know, but I know allot of nail techs who are 'horsey' including the famous Amanda Fontanarrosa who plays polo on a regular basis and works with horses ... Amber 'minkus' does too. Not heard any complaints from them. :lol:

I have a client who owns a few horses and I have a hell of a job with her nails. Some will stay looking great but other will constantly lift, but the thing is with that is, she gets dirt all under the nail enhancements and it's a real pain in the butt to get it all out rebalances are a nightmare and I'm always so worried about her getting greenies etc
I have worked/owned horses myself and it really is harsh on your hands because they are in everything mixing food, creams for the horse, mud, poo everything lol
Although saying that she did have NSS nails on when she first came to me and they seems to stay put, even if they did look bright yellow!

ive had horses for years and have never had a problem with this and ive had lots of different systems on my nails x

Okey doke.
So it's not horse-related.
I thought I'd investigate.
Thanks for clearing it up.

I wonder what on earth it could be? Why won't the product stay stuck?
I've tried 3 times. I don't think I've ever been this frustrated
(well.. except with one of my long time friends who takes anti-depressants and thyroid meds, and lives in her spa-tub............... so that causes a lot of issues...).

I hate when there's a puzzle I can't solve. Drives me bonkers LOL:lol:

Anemia can also cause lifting issues

If she uses anything containing lanolin then that 'could' be it, if she uses it a lot then she could be getting a build up of it and you 'could' be missing some of it during prep and/or cross contaminating from her nails to your fingers (then prep) and back to her nails again.

It's just a thought (with a few if's and could's lol, but worth keeping in mind) :hug:

If I use a cuticle elimator solution (2min to sit), remove cuticle with the scraper do-hickey (yes, really technical term LMFAO), then wipe nails with Cleanse-it to remove residue (alcohol & acetone base), then use 200 grit to etch the plate to remove shine and any cuticle missed, then use Cleanse-it again (to remove dust and debris), then Ez Bond twice (alcohol based) to dehydrate the nail plate.................... do you think lanolin would survive a prep like that?

That's how I always prep the nails. And I NEVER EVER touch the nails with my actual fingertips. Only with implements & tools.

I'll definately ask her about the lanolin.

THANKS!!

ps: may ask about the anemia too... but how does one ask that without being invasive?

I grew up around horses, so I'll take a shot at this one. First possibility....You mentioned she does massages for horses. Some massage oils do contain petrolatum or mineral oil. That could be the culprit. Ask her to bring the bottle in, and post the ingredients here, and we'll see what's up.

Secondly....Many horsefolk use hoof conditioners on their critters. Since hooves are made of the same protein as human nails (keratin), it stands to reason that materials used on the hooves would be compatible with human nails. But, since acrylics are not used on horses (except in the rare case of injury repair), the formulators make no effort to avoid ingredients that could promote acrylic lifting. I just googled and found a common brand whose name I remember from my youth, and found it has lanolin and petrolatum, both of which have a reputation for making acrylic nails lift. So that could be the answer right there. Maybe she should start wearing gloves when applying hoof conditioners?

Third possibility... I mentioned above, "many horsefolk use hoof conditioners on their critters".... Well, I should also point out, based on my own experiences, that a lot of livestock keepers use livestock products on themselves -- vitamins & nutritional supplements (guilty), injury ointments (guilty), and for those who live in remote areas, even antibiotics and vaccines. (Hmmm...there's a clever way to evade medical rationing!) A few horse products even advertise, "Safe for humans, too". So it's quite possible that your client is using a hoof conditioner on her own nails, not realizing that it is the cause of her lifting because it's not formulated the same way as a human cuticle oil. It can't hurt to ask.

Thanks so much!! I'll be sure to forward this information on to her.
I've tried 3 times to put a set on her, both gels and L&P and NOTHING sticks no matter which way I prep the plate (dry or wet), whether I use bonder or primer......

Rather frustrating to say the least.

Thanks a million!:hug:

Latest posts

Back