How busy are you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lavander Rose

Reaction score
Hi All

Not been around for a while thought I would pop back in and say hello.

How is everyone doing in their business right now?

To Everyone that rents a room within a hairdresses how is your business doing? I am asking as I am in two minds what to do.

I rent a room within a hairdresses and have been really busy upto two weeks ago I get bored very easy and hate sitting around waiting for clients to come in,,,, I have put offers out handed out flyers so its not like ive not sat around.

I am only really making my rent some weeks then other weeks I have made alot more and its not really making me any propit where I can give myself a wage and to be honest I miss having a proper wage

So I am thinking of throwing the towl in. :cry: Has anyone got any advise?

Hi All

Not been around for a while thought I would pop back in and say hello.

How is everyone doing in their business right now?

To Everyone that rents a room within a hairdresses how is your business doing? I am asking as I am in two minds what to do.

I rent a room within a hairdresses and have been really busy upto two weeks ago I get bored very easy and hate sitting around waiting for clients to come in,,,, I have put offers out handed out flyers so its not like ive not sat around.

I am only really making my rent some weeks then other weeks I have made alot more and its not really making me any propit where I can give myself a wage and to be honest I miss having a proper wage

So I am thinking of throwing the towl in. :cry: Has anyone got any advise?

Hi, I rent a room in a hairdressers also. Ive have been really busy the last couple of weeks, and made lots of money - so nice :) However, its like hitting a brick wall this week - SO quiet :grr: No, its not nice, and I am only just making my rent at the mo, BUT I am not going to throw in the towel because I am quiet. Everybody experiences quiet periods every now and again, just keep handing out flyers, try promotions, it will soon pick back up again xx

Now is the time to do all your admin, and get your client lists up to date, and send out special offers. It's bound to be a little quieter this week as all the schools have broken up now so everyone's off on their hols. Make sure all your equipment is clean and serviced, do your stocktake, do some research, enjoy the little break. Get out there and network like fury to raise your profile. Don't let the quiet times get you down!

Last year I found the 6 week school holidays to be quite quiet and am already finding it the same this year. Yes, I get in lots of waxing and pedicures and my regular L&P clients but not alot more. I make the most of spending the extra time with my kids and preparing marketing offer for September when I know things will pick up again.

Hi bellabeautie

Thankyou for your reply.

This is the history of trying to go solo

Feb last year rented a room above a hairdressers was really building up my client base and in November last year the salon owner closed us all down.

Two weeks later I found another room to rent in a hairdressers were I am working now been there 6 months now,, due to having to start all over again after doing it once before at another location I feel I am taking two steps forward and 10 steps back and its starting to grind me down I getting bored of it to be honest, I love what I do but car,nt be bothered trying anymore.

Plus I am away on holiday 2nd week in August for 2 weeks and have to pay two weeks rent in which I have NOT go to give them so I am stuffed so I am thinking its probably best if i go I dont want to put anymore money into it than we already have, as it seems it not moving forward for me thats why I am thinking of throwing the towl in.

I getting bored of it to be honest, I love what I do but car,nt be bothered trying anymore.

You can't ever stop trying if you have your own business!
It sounds to me that you would be better off being employed then you won't have the "hassle" of running your own business. Of course you won't have the benefits of it either. Your choice!

i have my own little salon, which i rent, i have been pretty much dead the past 3 weeks with just my regulars coming in and even some of them cancelled to re arrange there appointments. Then last week i had a mad week which was funny because last monday i had nothing in my diary!

You can never predict in this business every week & month is different!

Keep your chin up :hug:

i rent a building attetched to a hairdressers and we are really busy at the moment i have just been to my accountants for last years end of year consultation and had almost doubled our turnover on the year before and so far this years figures are set to be better yet.
i have heard this industry is doing very well despite the ecomomic downturn compaired to alot of other industrys!

Hi to everyone has replied so far i really appreciate it.

I dont want to give up what I love doing but the situation that I am in now is I have only got this weeks rent, then I am away on holiday for two weeks and I DONT have anymore money to give as rent I car,nt even put the money in myself because i am skint, so I have no option I will have to leave.

I am gutted as well because I love what I do and where I am and it will probably pick up in September but sitting around waiting and only making your rent is crap to be honest why have a business if your NOT even able to give yourself a wage?

Is it possible to renegotiate with the salon owner? You would probably be better off on a percentage share rather than a flat rent, and you could put it to the owner by suggesting that it's better for them too because at least they will be getting omething rather than have an empty room.

it sounds like you could do with a break, and I worry for you that you will regret giving this place up when you come back from your holiday.

hi pure

I am going into work tomorrow with my husband to have a chat with the owners, one of which is very business minded and a battle axe lol..

we have both discussed this with each other over the weekend.

Due to my husband being so supportive and putting all the money into the business, and still not getting back from it, he suggested that we suggest what you just have.... so even if i only make £50 that week at least I can give myself £25 that is better than sitting around waiting for the next £25 facial or massage to come in just to make up the rent.

If the owners wont agree to this then I have not choice do I it will be like flogging a dead horse arrrrrrggggg i am sooooo confused.

and I certainly do need this holiday we have not had a family holiday for two years because of this business.

Thanks for your advise I shall let you know how I got on.

Well good luck. I hope the salon owner sees it as a good option, but regardles of what happens tomorrow you obviously really need this holiday so just try and put everything behind you and enjoy yourselves. :hug:

I am very busy lately but not with holistics.I have noticed a big shift from people spending on massage,reiki etc and some of my holistic people and regular massage people have disappeared.

I have acquired lots of Calgel nail people in the past 6 months usually with wrecked nails from the nns and then also their friends because their nails are an immediate advert for you.

I would say its definately worth looking at from a business point of view and is one of the easiest systems to learn.

I also do plenty of waxing having gained people from salons that just cannot afford to pay salon prices anymore so it was either look for a home or mobile therapist or start to shave.

The problem I have got is the area I work, its not an area where people have a lot of money and like yourself my holistic side has took a backward turn. and most of the clients that are coming in at the moment are for bloody eyebrows which I am sick to the back teeth of doing as its getting boring now just doing the same thing.

I think I do more eyebrows than anything at the moment lol...like I said the area i work in is pretty rough definetly not a rich area people are quit well lets just say most dont have much money and the ones that do are the one,s that come from other areas of the town.

I blame it on the area, and this credit crunch its driving me crazy.

Well have to see what they say about the negotiation of changing to commision instead of flat rent,, either way I wont lose , i will go back to mobile and find me another job.

I have to say that poorer areas tend to spend more money.
I think the problem here is lack of enthusiasm-sorry!
I run my own business and i've never felt like that. 'Can't' is not in my vocabulary!
I know you have handed leaflets out but your attitude is negative or that's how it comes across. If i felt like throwing the towel in every time it's been quiet then i would have quit months ago.
When times have been quiet then i've gone out handing leaflets in town, leaving leaflets in shops, doing special offers. Try leaving leaflets in gyms, health shops, hospital notice boards, anywhere you can think of.
Offer your regulars a discount if they bring in a friend. If they bring in more friends you can up the discount and this way they will bring you new customers in.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again.
When it's your business you have to put in 110% otherwise you will fail.
Good luck :hug:

I have to say that poorer areas tend to spend more money.
I think the problem here is lack of enthusiasm-sorry!
I run my own business and i've never felt like that. 'Can't' is not in my vocabulary!
I know you have handed leaflets out but your attitude is negative or that's how it comes across. If i felt like throwing the towel in every time it's been quiet then i would have quit months ago.
When times have been quiet then i've gone out handing leaflets in town, leaving leaflets in shops, doing special offers. Try leaving leaflets in gyms, health shops, hospital notice boards, anywhere you can think of.
Offer your regulars a discount if they bring in a friend. If they bring in more friends you can up the discount and this way they will bring you new customers in.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again.
When it's your business you have to put in 110% otherwise you will fail.
Good luck :hug:

Couldn't have said it much better myself :).

A negative & defeatist attitude never got anybody anywhere & it's easy to blame lack of business on various outside factors eg recession, poor area blah, blah, blah but yes, business is tough whatever else is going on.

I've felt like throwing the towel in many a time with my business but I'm still here nearly 18 years on. Some weeks I've had appalling takings but that's what overdrafts are for - to help with the peaks & troughs of takings.

If I do start to feel a bit sorry for myself, I give myself a good telling off, and to stop with the self-pitying act and to just get on with it. It's surprising how a little shift in your attitude can make the phone ring again.

With the clients you've got you need to do what you can to make them come in more often, have more things done & ultimatley spend more money. Offer them incentives to say, get their eyelashes tinted 1/2 price. They might like it so much they re-book with their next eyebrow wax.

Encourage your regulars to bring their friends in etc etc. There's sooooo much that can be done to increase business but firstly you need that break to get perspective on it all again.

Lots of good advice totally agree think you need a well deserved holiday and it gets everybody down when you are quiet, clients cancel - also the busier I am the more motivated I am to do stuff...
If they don't agree to rent reduction then quit, take your holiday and go mobile again as area is key -can you mobile in a better area?, with the credit crunch and working in a 'bad' area you will not be able to do the treatments you like best and let's face it life it short we need to enjoy what we do.
Good luck sure you will make the right decision. :hug:

Hi All

Just thought id let you know that I am moving out of my rented room where I work in the hairdressers, had a chat with both the owners and they dont want to comprimise the rent or negotiate commission so therfore as I car,nt pay them two weeks rent while im away with my husband and 3 kids I have no choice but to leave :cry: its a real shame really.

Now I will have to work from home or do mobile.

I was thinking of doing pamper days or evenings has anyone any suggestions and if you have done this how did you go about it?

Latest posts

Back