How do I get my acrylics to not lift and last longer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Litaloo

Reaction score
Hi all I'm a fully qualified nail technician but I'm struggling with the whole lifting thing? I have clients coming back to me after 1 week as thei nails have already started to lift ? How do I prevent this? As far as I'm aware I'm doing all the prep and applying the acrylic correctly ? Also what acrylic liquid and powder do people recommend ? I use the edge or attraction? Any other recommendations ? And lastly do we all recommend using a drill? Iv been told it's quicker and leaves a smoother finish but ima. Bit nervous to try it.? Thank u :)

Hi welcome to the site :)

If you're getting lifting within a week then either the prep or application is fault. Do you have any photos of your work? It's often easier to see where any problems are happening.

Hi all I'm a fully qualified nail technician but I'm struggling with the whole lifting thing? I have clients coming back to me after 1 week as thei nails have already started to lift ? How do I prevent this? As far as I'm aware I'm doing all the prep and applying the acrylic correctly ? Also what acrylic liquid and powder do people recommend ? I use the edge or attraction? Any other recommendations ? And lastly do we all recommend using a drill? Iv been told it's quicker and leaves a smoother finish but ima. Bit nervous to try it.? Thank u :)

I have the exact problem mine start lifting around 10 days, id like to use an electric file but have to do a course on it and qualify in the course 1st x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1413458978.291913.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1413458995.953931.jpghere are a few of my latest sets that came back after a week with a lot of lift to them :/ any ideas ? As having people coming back puts me off doing them now as much as I love it:( thanks

i wouldnt step anywhere near an electric drill - they can do more damage than good to nails :(

Ok it's a little tricky to see from those pictures because of the colour over the top :-/ Can you talk us through your prep?

On a side note electric files are perfectly safe to use on acrylics and gels when used by someone fully trained in their use. They should never be used on the natural nail however. I personally wouldn't consider advancing to using an efile until you have perfected your application and are confident.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1413463261.597758.jpgis this a better pic? I file the natural nail and remove any polish already on nails I then stick tips on then cut them down. Add primer then remove smile line and shape nails then apply the acrylic. When iv finished the nails they look lovely I can't see if the acrylic would of run or anything but they still lift :/ I'm so confused x

View attachment 76947is this a better pic? I file the natural nail and remove any polish already on nails I then stick tips on then cut them down. Add primer then remove smile line and shape nails then apply the acrylic. When iv finished the nails they look lovely I can't see if the acrylic would of run or anything but they still lift :/ I'm so confused x

Do you not remove the natural shine from the nail ?
My way is remove any nail polish, file, cuticle work, cleanse and remove any product, remove natural shine from nail and any dust then cleanse with IPA, size and fit nails, cut down to size and blend then prime then apply acrylic to the zones.

So if you aren't removing the natural nail shine that might be your issue xx

Can I ask when and where you trained? You're not dehydrating the nail, you're not removing shine, you're applying the primer at the wrong stage. It almost sounds like you need to start from scratch I'm afraid :-/

I trained at capital hair and beauty warehouse in walsal I remover the shine when I file the natural nail at the start. When do u suggest I add the primer and what do u use to dehydrate the nail? Think I need to get back in touch with capital ? X

I trained at capital hair and beauty warehouse in walsal I remover the shine when I file the natural nail at the start. When do u suggest I add the primer and what do u use to dehydrate the nail? Think I need to get back in touch with capital ? X

By the sounds of it you should ask for a refund. Train with a company like Sweet Squared and train with the product your actually going to be using x

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm sure both brands have a dehydration liquid in the kits. The very last 2 things you do when prepping is dehydrate and then apply primer. These 2 things alone could well be the cause of your lifting issues.

If you use NSI have you considered training with them?

Are you doing any cuticle prep? X

I would speak to your trainer they should have taught you about dehydrator and primer. Hopefully they will be able to help you and get you back in to re show you xx

I have same problem, i remove shine and use primer :( im starting 2 think maybe its the way im applyin the l&p?? I press not push x

Do you not remove the natural shine from the nail ?
My way is remove any nail polish, file, cuticle work, cleanse and remove any product, remove natural shine from nail and any dust then cleanse with IPA, size and fit nails, cut down to size and blend then prime then apply acrylic to the zones.

So if you aren't removing the natural nail shine that might be your issue xx

Thats exactly my routine x

Wow, they taught you how to put on acrylic nails but not quite the prep part which is absolutely crucial to keeping them on. Mine stay on for a month with no lifting so here goes...I understand your not creative trained so I will try to adjust the products to suit you. By the way creative retention liquid is specially formulated to prevent lifting if you can get hold of this. Galaxy nails sells this in Plymouth to the public buy the way. She has a website

1. File free edge of natural nail
2. Remove any nail varnish
3.use cuticle remover and remove dead cuticle from the surface of nail plate with cuticle knife
4 Buff nail surface Lightly to create a key for the acrylic to stick to (white block buffer will do) when all the shine has gone that's enough
5. Using a nail varnish gauze pad apply a nail dehydrator, eg. Scrub fresh by Cnd or nail pure by NSi are good ones. They remove all contaminants from the nail plate. Scrub the nail plate so it goes a chalky colour and almost squeaks!
6. Apply tips, cut, blend, shape.
7. Repeat step 5 very important!!!!
8. Apply primer. Sally's do an acid primer which is very good only £3.99 a bottle
9. Apply acrylic liquid, bead must be right consistency, when you take brush out of acrylic wait 3 secs, and it should be mostly wet with a bit of powder, place on nail bed, wait 3 secs, powder should now be smooth and apply where needed.
10. Cuticle area should be the thinnest area, with a boomerang 100grit file blend round he cuticle until you can no longer see a line at all and blends into he natural nail
11. Make sure c curve is accurate, and buff rest of nail until smooth and correct shape
12. Cleanse with nail dehydrator again
13.apply a gel top coat in clear
14. Job done!
By the way electric drills are so not needed, and no one likes being on the receiving end of one. Remember to sculpt the nail with your brush, not the file and you will never need one.
Hope this helps

Thank u all so much for all the advise and tips. It's a huge help. Nailed it u no the Creative retention liquid can I still use that with my acrylic powder by the edge? Your step by step guide is a big help x

Thank u all so much for all the advise and tips. It's a huge help. Nailed it u no the Creative retention liquid can I still use that with my acrylic powder by the edge? Your step by step guide is a big help x

No you can't mix one brand of monomer with another brand of polymer, you'll get lifting, service break down and potential skin reactions and your insurance won't cover you.

Choose a brand you want to work with then contact their official distributer and do their conversion training.

If you wish to go down the CND route you need to contact Welcome - Sweet Squared and you should only purchase their products from them or their official partners. Don't risk buying from eBay or other unofficial sources because then you can't guarantee their authenticity.

No you can't mix one brand of monomer with another brand of polymer, you'll get lifting, service break down and potential skin reactions and your insurance won't cover you.

Choose a brand you want to work with then contact their official distributer and do their conversion training.

If you wish to go down the CND route you need to contact Welcome - Sweet Squared and you should only purchase their products from them or their official partners. Don't risk buying from eBay or other unofficial sources because then you can't guarantee their authenticity.

hi again! You should always use the matching brand acrylic powders and acrylic liquids together as they are made to work with each other, as like above said they will not be compatible and problems may arise.
(however when i have run out of a product and doing my OWN nails, it has actually been fine.... but i DONT recommend this on paying customers!)

Galaxy nails have always been good cnd suppliers to me. although i have a sweet squared account sometimes its easier for me to drive to the galaxy nails shop 20 miles away from me and just pick it up rather than wait for delivery. ebay IS risky though for creative products, however galaxy nails sells hers on ebay and is where i have bought mine from sometimes.

I do however recommend salon serve. you can google them and they send a free catalogue. It is full of safe acrylic liquids but are a very very cheap system and is worth a look. the quality is extremely close to creative (i can't tell the difference actually) but i do use creative products myself as i like to provide my customers in my salon safe knowledge I'm using the best and a well known brand.

i think however nsi dehydrator and the £3.99 acid primer would solve most of your problems though! the acrylic you have already sounds pretty good as its a good brand. You just need to experiment lots until you find the right way. try doing your own nails and do every finger on one hand with a different routine and see if they lift on yourself.

Latest posts

Back