How do I go about opening a salon with a friend?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loobylou22

Reaction score
Hi,
Sorry for the long post. I hope this doesn't get confusing but I think it might. Right, I'm beauty and my friend is hair. we both have our own businesses and are fully set up and both very busy.
I'm a home salon and she rents a chair in a current salon.
We have the opportunity to open a salon together.
How will this work??? Iv no idea whether to both go on the lease? or me just rent the beauty side? we have the salon premises (although needs converting) as she got the contact but has asked me to go in with her and do the beauty side.
I'm so confused, currently I'm desperate for space and to grow, I feel its the right time. if I do move I will have overheads yes, but il be able to employ, or rent a room etc and hopefully sell more retail.
I have environ, jane iredale, hd and nouvatan as my retail but will add elemis if I do move.
Do we add money into a business pot? or have a salon name and run our separate businesses?
She works 5 days I work 4/5 as I have kids.
Thanks for reading, any advice would be appreciated. Think Iv added everything.xxx

I opened my first salon with my friend. Let's just say that working with family or friends doesn't always work :( we're still good friends to this day but honestly...we thought we saw eye to eye with everything but really little things even started getting to me, we both took it on 50/50 but I was busier than her ect ect. All in all I did love the experience, we lasted 5 months (she found out she was pg and I was scared to do the salon alone)
I now run my own salon and have since said (this was about 8yrs ago btw) that I'd never bring in friends unless it was working as a favour ect iykwim?
I think although you're friends you'd need to get a contract written up between you, what happens about holidays? What happens if one of you is a lot busier than the other? Sorry I'm waffling on lol have a VERY good think, it works for some people don't get me wrong but it was a lot of hassle for me for my first salon! X

As advised be very careful. Everything I have done in conjunction with someone else has been traumatic.

I honestly don't know how it would work. If she's prepared to take responsibility for the contract and sub let to you, then go for it. I wouldn't go in as partners. Who pays what? How are profits split etc etc especially if one is busier than the other.

It sounds really exciting and you can really help her by guaranteeing a portion of her rent coming in but I wouldn't go in as partners.

Vic x

It all sounds very exciting but take off your rosy specs and look at this from a purely business perspective.
As others have said, consider renting a room rather than go into a full partnership.

Pay for good legal advice and if you still want to do it, get a contract drawn up that covers your rights and responsibilities.

Good luck!

My sister set up a salon with her friend - it didn't work out nor did the salon my mum & sister had they didn't get on working together! I've always had my salons by myself, no one to object when you want to get a new product, training, spend money blah blah x

I do definatly see what you all are saying! Thank you for taking the time to reply! Would it be worth it for me to move though? To paying overheads when Iv previously paid nothing? What can I gain as I already work to my capacity? I had thoughts about a sunbed room etc split the profit but then electricity? Iv known her for years and years. Been close on and off as we have different lives (kids etc) a salon alone seems such a big investment. Xx

I think you have just asked yourself the right questions:
If you are already working at max capacity, what will you gain from moving? Maybe rooms you can sublet when you are not working..but you will also get a whole load of grief!

Get a contract drawn up, outlining all the things you've agreed on

There's no saying you WONT get along in business with your friend these are just experiences we know of. I personally think it's hard to be 50/50 partners when one is beauty and other hair especially when one does t know the beauty industry and vice versa. Why not suggest renting space at set rental amount and you provide your own equipment and products? Possibly easier if you find you do not get on working together x

I would steer clear, partnerships or business ventures between friends can go very sour. If you are comfortable where you are then is there any point in moving? You could move and end up really losing out.

My reasons for making the change are to work with someone, and to try and make money. I just have no idea how it will work day to day booking in, cashing up etc not to mention the lease which I'm now leaning more to renting the beauty side and I employ who I like she does hair and employes who she likes and us both be managers if that's possible. Ha ha. Xx

honestly i think with what you have got you will make the money yourself! leave your friend out of it, you may have read the threads about self employed workers disgruntled with bosses and buying each other out. I think you ought to believe in yourself and what you have.

It can get very messy when one needs to reiterate who the big boss really is.
You have to ask yourself;
who will have the bigger percentage?
for instance if you brought in a voucher £5 redeemable against yours/ her business or entirely different entity?
what about complaints?
what about retail- someone buys both your products does this go through one book or two separate payments, would a card terminal be used?.
clients booked in- who is booking in?
what about emergency days off- if self empolyed.
Paying for stock together?

im just giving a jist of a few problems that you could encounter. xoxo

Yes I see what you mean. This is why I'm confused and thinking rent the beauty may be the best way and not together. I have a credit card terminal but how does everyone else manage who has self employed people in their salon with vouchers, retail and booking etc?? Xx

I have recently been in this same position with a friend and we agreed that she would hold the lease and I would rent my half our salon from her.
We split all bills in half as we each occupy half of the available space.

As I'm self employed I effectively run my own self contained business within the salon (I do nails, she hair).
I take my own payments, cash or card, and have my own marketing, retail products, vouchers etc that are independent of hers. Clients book directly with me on my own phone number, and any shared clients we have either pop in to book with both of us, use our facebook page, or call each of us separately.

We have a shared facebook page for the salon that we cross promote our services on and each month we collaborate on any shared promotions we choose, for example in May when we opened, we engaged new clients for both of us by offering on Wednesdays only a manicure/Shellac and wash/cut/blowdry together for a set price and split the cost between us. We used an internet based diary software to keep out schedules visible to each other to arrange concurrent appointments between us for those clients.
Otherwise we are two separate entities within the same building. I work how and when I want to and so does she.
Hope that helps you with some of your questions.

I think you have hit the nail! That does seem the best way. I'm going for a big chat this week. Apparently there's 2 rooms for me 1 that can be split into 2 so possibly 3 and room for 2 nail stations. Do you or have you thought about employing anyone? Is it weird if a client pays am amount to you and then to your partner? Xx

You have a lot to lose and nothing to gain.

Your situation ATM is about as good as it gets isn't it? A full book, minimal outgoings, no staff/overhead complications.

I must be missing something lol x

I think you have hit the nail! That does seem the best way. I'm going for a big chat this week. Apparently there's 2 rooms for me 1 that can be split into 2 so possibly 3 and room for 2 nail stations. Do you or have you thought about employing anyone? Is it weird if a client pays am amount to you and then to your partner? Xx

It is just the two of us, and we don't currently have plans to take on additional staff with either of us.
It's not weird at all regarding payments, as clients know and understand they pay whoever did their treatment. If we do split payment during an offer, the client just gives the full amount to whoever they finished with last and we sort the change etc with each other.
It's always cash in that circumstance as my hairdresser doesn't take card payments.
We don't have separate rooms, as it's just a ground floor open shop unit, but even if you were in a room of your own you would take payment from your client yourself before they left you and headed back to the main part of the salon. I would think all self employed therapists/stylists do the same, as all no self employed staff would be sharing a sole 'reception' till x

You have a lot to lose and nothing to gain.

Your situation ATM is about as good as it gets isn't it? A full book, minimal outgoings, no staff/overhead complications.

I must be missing something lol x
Growing. That's what's missing x

Latest posts

Back