How do you blend your tips, any hints or advice to make it quicker

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer2089

Reaction score
Hi ladies newly qualified nail technician, using my file to blend in the smile line always don't get the look or effect that I am wanting it is taking a lot longer to file wonmdering are there any products to help with blending of the smile line xx

do you mean blending your tips?

I just file tips a bit before applying them then just a little blend and buff
One of my nail technician friend she uses tip blender x

I never pre-blend a tip .. I use great quality tips that blend like butter in just a minute or two. They are called Velocity tips from CND ... Velocity meaning QUICK.

I've never wasted time pre-blending tips ever. I'd rather pay a little more and get quality tips.

Have you tried the tips without any wells- pro. Impressions ones are good :lol:

Hi Jennifer, I've merged your two threads. :)

I never pre-blend a tip .. I use great quality tips that blend like butter in just a minute or two. They are called Velocity tips from CND ... Velocity meaning QUICK.

I've never wasted time pre-blending tips ever. I'd rather pay a little more and get quality tips.

I have to agree with geeg on this one, velocity tips are a dream to blend, 90% of the time I use these.

just ordered the pro impressions today...heard they r very good xxx

pre-blending also alters the intended shape of the tip (can make the wings spread way too much), I use about 5 styles of tips (depending on the shape of the clients nails) they fit perfectly .....

Here's a quick video edit from one of my videos yet to be finished .... there's no narration, techs will/should know what's going on without instructions.

This was done for Salongeek, it's not public on my YouTube channel. you can only see it if I give you the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_tHAL4XFmQ

Last edited:
pre-blending also alters the intended shape of the tip (can make the wings spread way too much), I use about 5 styles of tips (depending on the shape of the clients nails) they fit perfectly .....

Here's a quick video edit from one of my videos yet to be finished .... there's no narration, techs will/should know what's going on without instructions.

This was done for Salongeek, it's not public on my YouTube channel. you can only see it if I give you the link.
Awesome, thanks for that. It is very informative.

These are those crapolla tips that come with the Trainer Hand, i'm sure they made them deliberately thick, you could never use them on a real client, but once you master these fat monsters you could master any tip.

This isn't a narrated or instructional video, as techs, or techs in training should know what's going on without me giving instructions.

Perhaps "somebody" should do a more comprehensive video for the Nail Trainer :)

This is a video listed just for Salongeek and not available to the public through my YouTube channel.
ACRYLIC NAILS - Tips on tips - Training Hand - Salongeek Only - YouTube

The thing you need to concentrat on is not watching only how the tip well is thinning out, but WHERE Carl is doing the thinning and blending!

Note that the edge of his file never goes near the natural until the last few passes of the file that remove the last line of the tip-well that is visible.

Note that in doing the above, there is no damage to the nail plate., because he is never touching it!

Note the methodical way he is working file from one side of the nail to the other, rhythmically so that he does not over-thin the tip in one area and not the other.

Note how the tip-well is all blended evenly together and thinned BEFORE he finally gets rid of the last line.

THIS IS THE WAY TO DO IT!

The thing you need to concentrat on is not watching only how the tip well is thinning out, but WHERE Carl is doing the thinning and blending!

Note that the edge of his file never goes near the natural until the last few passes of the file that remove the last line of the tip-well that is visible.

Note that in doing the above, there is no damage to the nail plate., because he is never touching it!

Note the methodical way he is working file from one side of the nail to the other, rhythmically so that he does not over-thin the tip in one area and not the other.

Note how the tip-well is all blended evenly together and thinned BEFORE he finally gets rid of the last line.

THIS IS THE WAY TO DO IT!

Thanks Geeg ...

I actually stall a few times during the video, this shows my file placement and the sides of the file to use.

The file I am using is 2 sided 120/240. I don't actually want to file the line, I file in front of the line to get rid of the thickness first using 120, then when finishing off the line itself (which is a breeze when the thickness has gone) I use the fine side of the file, so if there is an inaccuracy, it wont cause any damage

Hi :)

I feel compelled to reply. After watching Nail Zoo's videos on everything nails I went straight up to.practice on my nail trainer and I sculpted a nail. I used a flat brush. In fact my old acrylic brush I fanned out so I used that (I do have a new pointed acrylic brush) so thanks for that!! It turned put fab!!! I use NSI and can't wait to use my techniques at college!!! Thanks so much for this thread and all the replies!!! Il post a few pics in nail critiques soon x

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

So Gigi, you DONT pre-tailor the tip before you adhere it to the nail? NO reduction of the well or thinning out?

Hi Geeg/Carl,

So what the video shows is exactly how you both blend tips?

Geeg, do you ever reduce the well before applying?

Why are we taught to reduce well and pre-tailor tip in training?

And finally, should I try and start doing it as you have shown us and forget the pre-tailoring altogether?

I have trained with CND and wimped out of enhancements whilst getting my business up and running, I will be having 121 and offering enhancements in the new year so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks xx

So Gigi, you DONT pre-tailor the tip before you adhere it to the nail? NO reduction of the well or thinning out?

What I said was that I NEVER pre-blend tips ...

I didn't say I did not pre-tailor tips. Of course I pre-tailor tips to fit if necessary; the two things are not the same at all.

I use Velocity tips If I am tipping at all, and I haven't found the need as a rule to have to reduce the tip well which is already quite small, but if I needed to of course I would. Why are you both asking about pre-tailoring?? I said I didn't pre-blend.

I suppose I always think of it as a package as I was taught that obviously you size the tips as required to produce the correct fit for client, reduce the well and pre-blend!!

I am perhaps reading too much into this and yes, I do find it a bit confusing so sorry for sounding stupid, just trying to make things a little clearer!! Perhaps enhancements just aren't meant to be my thing!! lol xx

Latest posts

Back