How do you deal with clients 'opinions'?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissOwen

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm a mobile tech and gained a few new customers over the christmas period. 2 in particular are reliable, regular clients but they have some very different views on certain things!!

Now, i know the general rules... dont discuss politics, religion etc. but i think when you work as a mobile tech, the atmosphere is a little different and people tend to voice their views on more unsavory subjects.

So far i've had to keep my mouth shut and attempt to change the subject on a couple of occasions with 2 of these new clients... one is rather racist, especially when her partner is present and the other has some extreme views on everything from peoples sexuality to wars..... these conversations usually start when they are watching the news or something. They seem to expect confirmation that i agree with their opinions when they voice them!

What would you do? Would you just keep your head down and say nothing or would you sack clients with such potent views on things?

If it really offended me, I'd sack them, but most of the time, I'd either ignore it or change the subject or make a comment to let them know that my views are somewhat different, such as "Live and let live".

If it really offended me, I'd sack them, but most of the time, I'd either ignore it or change the subject or make a comment to let them know that my views are somewhat different, such as "Live and let live".

I agree with this entirely, if they offended me I would get rid but it is life that people will express views on things and everyone wants others to agree with them.

When I was mobile I found this difficult. Because you are in their home and not on your own turf you have to be more diplomatic and in turn the clients are much more at ease. The thing that got me most was the answering of telephone, door, feeding the cat and kids, putting the kids to bed etc while you were waiting for them to sit down! :biggrin:

Thanks for the replies.

Its not usually something that bothers me, everyone has different opinions and i'm usually quite interested in why people think what they think.... BUT, these two are just very extreme, very very extreme!!

I'm fairly sure i can just keep my head down and get on with one, but the jury is still out on the other one. I have a feeling my straight talking side might sneak out if i'm not careful!!! I'll give it another couple of visits and see if my stoney silence when she comments give her the hint :rolleyes:

I had a situation with a client that gets her hair done in my salon and started coming to me as a nail client. She always gave her stylist a terrible time, calling her names and yelling at her across the salon. Once she got comfortable with me she started swearing while talking to me and her stylist one day. I looked her straight in the eye and said "we don't say potty words at my station". That stopped her right there and she has not said another swear word at my station, and she has cut back on being so ornery to her stylist too.

I don't think my story will help you, but you reminded me of that situation :)

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Most of the time I'll say random things like "takes all kinds to make the world go around" or "live and let live" and change the subject.
Those that offend me, get sacked.

BUT one time... I was NOT a happy camper.
This particular client is a former schoolmate and her favorite pass-time is gossiping about everyone else in time. I was forever dodgeing her questions about friends/clients of mine because she wants to know the dirt THAT IS NONE OF HER BUSINESS! (it was exhausting!!!)

Then one day she said stupid stuff like "my friend works as a counsellor on the Indian reserve. Poor people, they are all drunks and drug addicts. It's awful. And the child abuse? You don't see that stuff around here in our town".

I saw red...... I have native friends. I also have caucausian friends. I also KNOW caucasians that are drunks etc...
I just looked up and said "that sounds very racist".
"Oh, I'm not racist..." and she goes on with her judgements.

I had to stand firm. I pointed out that there are bad apples in every barrel, regardless of colour etc. That there ARE alcoholics and drug addicts in our town etc.
And I pointed out that my close friends were none of the above.
"oh, they're just exceptions to the rule, EVERYYYYYYYONE is a drunk in that town" (the Indian Reserve).
And it went back and forth.

I finally said "deny being racist all you like, but it IS Racist to make negative judgements against a race based on their colour. It's in the dictionary and for the record... I HATE Racists. I think we're done here. OHHH by the way... didn't you know I'm part Cherokee-Sioux on my father's side? Yes, It's not Mohawk.. but it IS Native!! Did you never wonder about Leann's hair and skin tone?" (Leann is my sister who looks Native in colouring who was one of her best pals back in highschool).
She turned BEET-RED.
She quietly took out her money to pay, and said something about a next appointment. I looked her straight in the face and said that there wouldn't be one.

I've condensed the whole conversation obviously because I can't remember all of it... and it really dragged on for an hour. I had tried in the beginning to change the subject, but she was determined to be right and get me to agree with her.

SOMETIMES they leave you no choice but to voice your opinion and sack them.

if they were horribly offensive or personal than yes i would but often people say things in the salon and I just have to let it ride over me................but there are times whenits impossible to do so and so I found it esasier to make myself extremely busy so that they eventually go elsewhere. xxxx

I think in a salon environment their comments would be less acceptable and it would be easier to let them know it wasnt acceptable.

When you're entering someone elses house though, its their space and their own home. They can do and say as they please and i think they are more relaxed and opinionated!!

Nothing they have said has been personally abusive to me..... i would give an example but i'm not sure its a very good idea to voice their views incase that starts a heated debate about their views and my views!!!

I think i'll see how it goes over the next few visits, i'm hoping my lack of response to any comments will lead them to stop but so far they just seem to be trying harder to get my nod of agreement!! :Scared:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

We have the luxury of free speech here, but I do agree that if you're made to feel uncomfortable then you have the luxury too of firing your client.

Latest posts

Back