How do you remove gel polish from acrylic?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Sylk

Reaction score
Hi guys this is by far my worst treatment too do :( I'd love to make it easier if possible.
How do you all remove shellac gelish etc off acrylic extension?
I've you use hard gel do you find it any easier if you wrap with foil and the gel remain in tact?

File the gel polish colour off to reveal the enhancement.

If you use a solution to remove the polish you risk it loosening the enhancement.

Even if your using a hard buff of gel with a gel polish on top you can't soak the gel, the remover will creep under tiny bits of the enhancement causing problems and possibly causing pockets moisture could get in causing greenies or other issues, only way is to buff off.

Filing off is the safest way for all the reasons mentioned above.
Although a buff off gel is not made to be removed by soaking, when you do soak, it does penetrate the outer layers slightly and this causes service breakdown and this is not what our clients pay us for.
The slight penetration the acetone has can be used to remove a very thin layer of the buff off gel on the natural nail after you have removed the bulk of the gel with a file, but to avoid any possible damage to the natural nail, it is best to leave this thin layer and let it grow out.

If you get your filing technique fine tuned, hold the file correctly, use firm but not to firm and consistent pressure etc, you will get the file to file off the gel polish in minimum strokes and it really doesn't take anywhere near as much time as it does faffing around with removing by foil method I reckon.

Thanks guys. Does anyone find an efile better fir this?

I use an e file to take off gel polish over enhancements. Use a light touch and a lower speed…off in under 5 minutes! Be careful not to file the regrowth area.

Well shellac cannot be bunched together with the others and certainly should only be removed by the recommended method of shellac removal wraps or foil and acetone wraps NO BUFFING OR DRILLING REQUIRED:biggrin:

I use NSI gel which buffs off quite easily

Sorry if I'm being thick, what is a e file?

Well shellac cannot be bunched together with the others and certainly should only be removed by the recommended method of shellac removal wraps or foil and acetone wraps NO BUFFING OR DRILLING REQUIRED:biggrin:

How do you remove Shellac over hard gel?

Bit confused on this maybe reading it wrong :)

I use shellac over nsi acrylic and balance hard gels plus over brisa lite sculpting, I always buff the shellac off them all and occ use my efile for quickness especially if ts a rockstar, I use it on a low speed and remove approx 90% so patchy and leave some round the regrowth area and then do rest by hand file, makes it a lot quicker, you can't soak of shellac of any of these as will cause service breakdown issues.

I think you might have misunderstood the OP's question, she is asking how to remove Gel Polish (and yes, although Shellac claims to not be a gel polish it is still gets layered over enhancement products like buff off gel or L&P)

Yes, CND advise against buffing when Shellac is used as a single service but I have never seen anywhere where CND say to remove Shellac with the wrap method if it's applied over a buff off gels or L&P.

The safest and easiest way to remove a gel polish of any kind that has been applied to enhancement (if the enhancement is wanting to be kept and not removed) is to buff off, this ensures the enhancement stays fully intact and it is not compromised in any way that could cause service breakdown.

Hi guys this is by far my worst treatment too do :( I'd love to make it easier if possible.

Thanks guys. Does anyone find an efile better fir this?

Hi Sylk,

I am interested in what you have to say as I can not understand why this is causing you such hassle. If you don't normally use an efile there is NO WAY you need to get one just for this job!

For a start, I would only ever remove Shellac or a Gel Polish from a Nail Enhancement (L&P or UV GEL) during a Rebalance procedure. If the client wants to change their colour in between Rebalances then they should be wearing traditional polish over their Enhancements so it's quick and easy to change.

If the client wants CND Shellac over their Enhancements that Shellac becomes part of that Enhancement, so when it comes time to Rebalance it just gets filed along with the rest of the product while file preping for the Rebalance. There is no need to remove the colour coat first before beginning to de-bulk the L&P or Gel, just do it all in a oner. CND Shellac is thin, it should take an extra 15 seconds per nail at most to remove it during file prep.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Last edited:
Spot on maz thanks
this is just getting confusing now. My question was answered earlier in thread by others thank you v much xxx

Latest posts

Back