How do you swatch your Shellac colours?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanmichael.l

Reaction score
Hey geeks! :) just wanting to find out a little about what you do to swatch your colours.

Firstly what do you use for your swatches? Personally I think the colorpops look the best quality-wise but they are really expensive for just plastic, then you get those wheels but then if a colour becomes discontinued you can't remove it, you also can get swatch sticks on things like fans and on rings which are much cheaper and removable, but usually not too great quality-wise.

Also most of the swatches have clear nails on them which make you need to do way more coats than necessary to be able to get them opaque, especially with colours such as grape gum, and how on earth do you get swatches of sheer french pinks, for example something like negligee doesn't look great on the swatch all milky, streaky and not pink at all, and due to the sheerness you get the urge to put several coats on when in use you don't which doesn't make it look true to what it looks like in reality when you have the natural pink of the nail bed shining through underneath.

So many times I've had people skip pass colours but then later on absolutely adored because the swatches just don't look as great as when they're on a natural nail!

Also what do you guys do for swatching you layering combos and additives, there's just so many! They can completely transform the colour underneath and some of them are really not obvious, but I feel I could go through 1 of everything I have doing them all!

Oh and 1 last thing how do you label your colours? Luckily I can still differentiate colours by name and sight, but may not when I start filling in the gaps with similar ones!

So yeah.. Just your thoughts and opinions and will be interesting to hear what works for you?
Cheers :)
xxx

I use colour pops and keep them on rings in colour groups. I used to use wheels but found that clients could be quite heavy handed when placing them over their nails and colours could snap off leaving gaps which looked untidy & unprofessional. Also if I currently don't have one of the colours in stock, or it is discontinued, I can just remove the pop.

Mine are all clear, I don't find they look to pale or streaky (apart from clearly pink which you can't see is there at all) and when clients put them over their fingers it looks true to the colour it will be on their nails whereas cream/white ones can look a little different.

I have done a couple of layering swatches/glitters and have tried to focus on the more unusual combinations that look hugely different that clients wouldn't be able to imagine but I know I should do more. The trouble is there are soooooooooo many possibilities!

I bought a label maker to label mine and I love it, really easy to do and really clear to read.

Hiya, I am more or less the same as Emily2, clear colour pops on rings from Ebay really cheap, I use a label maker to identify colours, again Ebay.

I also don't do too many additives, only a few glitter fades, ombres, and the little bit of art that I do.

My clients like simple, too many options confuse them, lol X

Exactly the same. I use clear colour pops and a label maker. Then I use colour wheels to show off nail art ideas in categories ie bridal, animal prints etc

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

What label maker do you guys use?

Yep me too! Color pops on a binder ring, some are clear and some not clear. Also a label maker that I bought used on a buy/sell facebook page. Very professional looking. Go for it. I keep it in a small cosmetic pouch to prevent it from breaking (I'm mobile).

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1425129494.817773.jpg
These are mine, I've used so many different display methods but I think this is working best for me now.

wheels - kids always get their hands on them and they break, also not good for switching out colours.

pop display stands - took up too much room on the desk.

Removable nail square thing lol (similar to the CND one but you can remove the nail pops) - worked well but only if every display was full up, also nails would occasionally fall out and the colour would pop off lol.

I display seasonal nail art on colour pop display stand (xmas, valentines etc) but I also have every day nail art designs displayed in a fan with stamps.

I don't label any more, I used to but found it a faff and I know the colour and names by sight so removed all the labels as it started to look messy

X

Latest posts

Back