How have you got where you are today?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I originally wanted to be a social worker, but whilst I was finishing my last year of my A Levels the Bulger incident happened & I decided it wasn't for me. As I had been doing academic subjects (English literature, English language, biology & psychology) I decided to have a complete break & learn a trade. I had always been interested in skincare & massage so thought I'd try it.

I enrolled on the National Diploma, but after a year was bored stiff as the science & theory was too basic, although I loved the treatments. As a result they asked me to go onto the HND, which I did, and it was the best decision I ever made! In fact, one of my abiding passions is still in the science of the skin & its care, and I'm quite fortunate in having a dermatologist as a client so I can bombard her with questions!

After college I worked in a number of salons, training in different systems etc, always with the view of one day having my own place. Anyway, the last clinic I was at I worked self-employed & they were closing down, so I bit the bullet, extended my mortgage & set myself up in my own clinic. I did a lot of the work myself on the premises (including building cupboards etc) to save money, plus I'm very particular about how things look! I actually managed to do the whole thing in two weeks, and hold down work at the clinic that was closing down - just goes to show what you can do when you put your mind to it!

At present I have a longing to eventually do some sort of training as I'm always helping friends perfect their treatments, especially facials & massage. I quite like the idea of helping to raise the standard of treatments & give people the help I wanted when I was learning!

just interested to hear how you professionals/salon owners got where you are today. where you started at and how you got there. and any tips or advice you have to keep going .
hi
a well known nail champion one said the only advice she would give me is to look professional,ad to always wear nails,what sort of salon have you got?or plan to get?
mandy x

As a child I was very unattractive and my grandmother used to tell me all the time that it was a good job I had the brains because I certainly didn't have the looks. As I grew up I found that there were lots of articles in women's magazines about how to make the best of what looks you did have so I learnt as much as I could. In York there used to be a lovely, posh chemist shop on the corner of St Helen's Square (don't know if it's still there!) and I used to love going in there and trying all the fabulous creams and potions.
A lovely, kind French lady put the idea in my head to learn about it properly and gave me the address of Rene Guinot in Paris. I wrote to them asking if I could learn beauty therapy with them. They agreed but my father had a conniption and said no daughter of his was painting toenails for a living!
I went to nurse training and became an RGN for 10 years. I got bored and moved into IT where I stayed for 15 years. After a disastrous experience in my last job which resulted in my hacking my arms to ribbons I left and cried in bed for a week wondering what on earth I would do with the rest of my life. I had never given up on wanting to be a therapist; indeed I had completed various training courses at night school over the years, including aromatherapy and massage.
I decided to use some redundancy money I had stashed for a rainy day to retrain, fit out a room as a salon, et voila! Here I am, with my fledgling business, and loving it. I am my own boss, I do something tangible and worthwhile every day, and I've never been happier. I use all the skills of management learnt over 25 years, and bring all my life experience to the party too.
:)

As a child I was very unattractive and my grandmother used to tell me all the time that it was a good job I had the brains because I certainly didn't have the looks. As I grew up I found that there were lots of articles in women's magazines about how to make the best of what looks you did have so I learnt as much as I could. In York there used to be a lovely, posh chemist shop on the corner of St Helen's Square (don't know if it's still there!) and I used to love going in there and trying all the fabulous creams and potions.
A lovely, kind French lady put the idea in my head to learn about it properly and gave me the address of Rene Guinot in Paris. I wrote to them asking if I could learn beauty therapy with them. They agreed but my father had a conniption and said no daughter of his was painting toenails for a living!
I went to nurse training and became an RGN for 10 years. I got bored and moved into IT where I stayed for 15 years. After a disastrous experience in my last job which resulted in my hacking my arms to ribbons I left and cried in bed for a week wondering what on earth I would do with the rest of my life. I had never given up on wanting to be a therapist; indeed I had completed various training courses at night school over the years, including aromatherapy and massage.
I decided to use some redundancy money I had stashed for a rainy day to retrain, fit out a room as a salon, et voila! Here I am, with my fledgling business, and loving it. I am my own boss, I do something tangible and worthwhile every day, and I've never been happier. I use all the skills of management learnt over 25 years, and bring all my life experience to the party too.
:)

Oh My. Goes to show we get what we want in the end. All the bad stuff just makes us stronger and better people.

My dad said the same thing about beauty but I never listen to people and go my own way, thats the spoilt rich kid attitude I had then. Wish I had listened to some of that advice I was given though as I would be a lot better off. Suppose we have to learn off our own backs though sometimes.

My mums bounced around jobs that have made her unhappy because she had to make ends meet. (my dad was rich, mum was a single mum and worked to put food on the table, not that I ever went without!). Shes been in teaching for 15 years now and has ended up in bed the last year with ovarian cysts, and severe depression (all linked).

Shes now finally quit, suing the school for the awful way shes been treated and now embarked on a beauty course at college!!! Shes 53 next week.

Have to give you her number lol!!

All the best for the future.

Kate

1) a desire for a lifestyle change
2) a house remorgage
3) thick skin
4) staminer
5) some luck...sometimes
6) willingness to alter and adapt targeted goals
7) getting others to beleive in me and become as committed and share a dream
8) willingness to work 24/7
9) be posative even through hard times
10) make the most of and enjoy the good times
11) never forget that with both good and bad customers that your buisness would not survive without them so learn to bite your tounge sometimes
12) have a very understanding and supportive partner and family
13) always be willing to take on board what others say and make your own descision from that
14)alway's be willing to alter and adapt your buisness to accomodate rescent trends

and so the list goes on.
Good luck to you :hug:

Wow Collin I have actually copy and pasted this to word to save just for wen times get hard and i'm thinking it's all getting too much. BRILL advice im loving it! xxx

I've saved it too . Great advice from collin.

Wow Collin I have actually copy and pasted this to word to save just for wen times get hard and i'm thinking it's all getting too much. BRILL advice im loving it! xxx

Blimey...forgotten all about this posting :hug:

Just beleive in yourself and you will get through thick and thin :hug:

Would love to hear any other's :)

This is a long winded story but will shorten as much as possible.

Earned my DEP in cosmetology at 16.5yrs of age, and went straight to work in the salon (DEP is Diplome D'Etudes Professionel aka Professional Studies Diploma for a literal translation. It was a 2yr course, covering: hairdressing, esthetics, makeup, waxing, barbering, manicures, pedicures etc etc.. can't remember it all.. hey! it was 22yrs ago LOL)

My knees wouldn't permit me to stand all day long, so after a couple of years, threw in the towel and turned to office work YUCK YUCK YUCK:irked:

I used to be a nail biter, and would get my nails done, and then paint crazy stuff on on them (back in the 80's). Then at age 20, took my course for "Gel-Resine" (aka tip-n-dip) and started doing my own because my nail tech sucked and I was forever fixing them.
Started doing friends and family. Still did occasional hair and makeup for peeps, as well as nails. A few bridal parties..

At age 30, popped out my eldest then at 31, my 2nd child was born and we decided I would stay home.
But what to do at home? Babysit evil munsters? EEKS no thanks. (one evil munster bit my kids).
A friend smacked me up the head and said "VIC!! DO NAILS!!"
Oh well.. derrrrr LOL

Took a refresher course in 'gel-resine', another course in UV Gel.
Opened up the doors to my living room, learning as I went along with IMMENSE help from this site. (quebec schools SUCK!!)

Now, here I am, after much determination and just plain old stubborness.
NEVER tell me I can't do it, because I WILL!
I earned my L&P diploma in March with 'honours'. Very chuffed :green: (especially after I was sent home the first day for "knowing it all" as the teacher put it LMFAO) and she wound up personalizing my course to fit my knowledge so instead of basic L&P course, I did the combo "Basic/Intermediate/Advanced" of their courses in one shot.
WHOOOHOOOOOO

And now............. I'm FINALLY starting to get my mix ratio down with L&P and it's coming along great.

A lot of money spent here and there.... a lot of stubborness and despairing and impatience to get where I am.

Now I can sit back and thank all my buddies here that supported me, added to my education and kicked my arse when I needed it.

:hug:

Advice?
NEVER give up.

Thank you for the reply, I just love hearing how others have got where they are today, every story is different and so interesting.

ok here's mine,
Was not allowed to go to university, but was allowed to go college and learn a trade.
Did combined hair and beauty course. Went to work in West end, then docklands.
Came out of town to manage a large hair and beauty salon.
Then it went wrong.....
After 6 successful years my boss met a woman who was very jealous, and felt that she could run his salon far better than me, despite no experience. I was sacked, and we ended up in tribuneral. They told a pack of lies, and I didnt win.
So, I put my house up as security, got a bank loan, and bought a salon.
I worked 7 days a week for the first 5 years (I now only work 6) and turned it into the "it salon".
I then bought the property above and added another salon space and 5 beauty rooms.
That all went ok, so I bought another salon, refitted it, and work there two and a half days a week.
I would like more salons, but think that its not the right time to try and expand.
I would say the important things that have led me have been;
1. stamina for hard work and long, long hours.
2 A fairly good stomach for risk.
3. I love to sell.
4. Without wanting to be big headed, I am a seriously good hairdresser.

I love this thread! I know it's old but I stumbled across it and it's been a really uplifting read. Exactly what I could do with right now at this difficult time in my career. It WILL get better it WILL because it HAS to!!!

And here I am now, 4 1/2 years after writing that post ^^^ up there! I've never worked so hard in my whole entire life, I have my delicious humsbums Alex working in the distribution side of the business, I've got SwissDermyl back on track in the uk, and I'm in daily awe of some of the brilliant people in the industry.
Would I change any of it?
Nah. But I'd quite like someone to teach me how to switch off!

This is very interesting, great to hear how people got where they are.

When I was 16 I started working in a hairdressers on a apprentiship base. Think I stayed there for a year, got bored and left. Got into office work, doing secretarial and PA work, but did a few evening courses in manicure, Indian head, make up and massage but never got any qualifications.

I then got ill in 2008 and had to give up work.

Then in 2009 decided to do a 2 year hairdressing courses, but after a year had a bad car crash and couldn't continue with the course. Over the last 3 years, I've not been working, just doing the odd childcare job. Then this year, decided I wanted to get back into the beauty industry again, so doing a beauty therapy level 2 course and a few extra 1 day courses.

I'm having a big summer house built in my garden. Once my course is finished in July, I'm hoping to start my own business. I know it will be a lot of hard work, and I'm not going to be a millionaire over night lol.

I'm now 31, and it feels like the right time to start again. x

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back