How long before you considered yourself good?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudette1970

Reaction score
Hi geeks, i'm currently thinking about chucking it all in. basically i've been working on 'the floor' for about 5 weeks but keep coming away really dispondent. I do some nice hair cuts but it the client doesn't enthuse happiness about the style i come away i automatically think they dont like it and then i get upset. I know i still have sooo much more to learn but i really struggle cutting, in particular mens, hair short. why do i play safe and end up having to go over the hair again to cut shorter? i know i've left it late in life to take up this career but i do really love and enjoy it. how long did it take you before you started to feel you were good and confident? thanks for any replies x

Hi, I am so sorry to hear that you feel this way....
I think that you need to clarify to yourself what do you mean by happiness?

You have only been working for 5 weeks and already feel this way? Would it be that you may feel that there is a lot of competition around? Well this is true, but remember you can not achieve it all straight away. You need to set up some goals, plan your future carrier including the training, set up goals and think how you are going to achieve them.
You may have set for this carrier in late at life, but please do not for one minute think that it makes you somehow under dog.
In this industry the good news is, you are never ready! Which means more education and fashion edge! Which means it is never boring....
Please don't pack up, think how you could improve and then go and do it! If you have a passion, then you are nearly there! Invest on the dummy and take your time, think where it goes wrong. And if you have problems with short male cuts, then how about doing NVQ on barbering or going to Wahl cliepper course and get a new perspective?
At the end of the day, the investment is for your future and to pay a lump sum of money for it could be small amount compering what it could bring you back. Please don't loose your confidence, this will create unease to your clients and you will loose your clientele. Instead, clide like a swan and think big!!!!!

hey i still dont feel good ! and its been 15 yrs ! but it only takes 1 cut and colour for you to think hell, im **** hot! or for someone to come in with a really bad haircut for you to sort out . keep at it and the fact that people keep coming bgack to you will give you more confidence .

hey i still dont feel good ! and its been 15 yrs ! but it only takes 1 cut and colour for you to think hell, im **** hot! or for someone to come in with a really bad haircut for you to sort out . keep at it and the fact that people keep coming bgack to you will give you more confidence .

Hi, same for me too , I always tend to cut mens hair a tiny bit too short
but they come back again because they say they like it in two weeks
once its grown a little bit lol x
so dont worry just do your best , :)
you can please most of them but never all of them ,
thats why they all pick their own different hairdressers , honestly you will be fine :hug:

Hey your not the only one who feels like this!!! We all do sometimes I bet by the time you read this u will have done some lovely cuts ect and feel better! Why not do as mentioned above and check out some cources maby your local college will have some as we all need to keep up with education-weather you think your brilliant or not education is the key!!! What about some in salon training from someone in a senior position?? Its all about confidence building!!! We all feel like jacking our job in somedays-not just people in the industry but EVERYONE!!!! Hope:hug: this helps xxxxxxx

I think you'd have more of a problem if u thought u were great all the time!

what makes us better is learning from our experiences, being humble enough to accept we cant be perfect all of the time and we never know everything. 5 weeks is nothing, iv been in the industry 10 years and still doubt myself, but i get great feed back and my column proves i must be doing something right!! lol

its also, in my eyes, not a bad thing to play safe and not cut hair to short, im a play it safe person as well and it does me no harm what so ever. although having said that does it make a difference if its a few mm's to short? just gives em another week before they need a cut! as long as its not massively shorter then what they were asking, after all u cant put it back on. everyones hair is different, u need to do their hair a few times before u get to know exactly how they like it.

i do a few things with a new client (and existing), a thorough consultation find out what they do and dont like, explain i dont know their hair yet and that what ever we do today we can build on next time, i also check as im completeing the different sections with them how its looking and if they want me to take more off.

hth's keep ur chin up ur doin fine! :)

thank you all for your helpful replies. I'm going to find a barber course to go on and hopefully build on my confidence. thanks everyone!:Grope:

Latest posts

Back