How long for a full set when you started?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BotoxNurse

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just wondered how long it took you all to do a full set of acrylics when you first started. I am really pleased with the work I am producing and am gaining 3 new clients on average per week ( work FT too so quite chuffed) but I do have a degree of OCD and it is taking me 2 hours to do a full set. I know I spend quite a long time on the prep work, but when should I start to try and pick up the pace a bit? Will it just gradually increase or do I need to perhaps book another client in after to make myself speed up a bit. Everyone is v happy with their nails and there is no lifting etc and they have all referred other customers on. Perhaps I am just destined to be slow?! I did my course 2 months ago so I am VERY new!

I wish I could do a set in 2 hours, I am about 2.45 - 3 hours and probably could be longer if I decided to file more. I trained in l&p in September. I don't have any regular l&p clients so it's really adhoc that I do a set and all my friends just have gelish so can't practice on them either. I tend to practice on myself when I get the time x

My first ever set when I qualified took 3 hours, I'm now down to an hour, 1.15 including set up, consultation forms paying and pack up

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

When I first started it took me almost 3 hours. But I tried really hard and got
Down to 1hr 30 quite quickly.
Now I take 1hr 15 for natural Tip with gel colour. 1hr 10 for natural Tip with regular polish. And 1 hour for French tips.
It took me ages to get below 1 and half hours though.

I break it down into stages. Eg.
20 mins cuticle work and tip application.
20 mins product application.
20 mins to finish.

Laura xx

It's that application and filing that takes me time. I think it's just getting the right consistency and application I need to work on that will hopefully reduce the filing time too

Do you mean filing before or after your acrylic?

My first set was about 2-3 hours but I can do it within an hour now, it just comes with practise and you will soon realise your timings will get less and less

The reason it's taking so long may have a lot to do with using the efile or hand filing. It's vital you use an efile and get real good at it. I shadowed many other techs and their strategies.

I have never used an efile and I'm happy with my timings.

Laura xx

Do you mean filing before or after your acrylic?

Filing after application, I find that takes me a while

So many excellent suggestions! I have another client tomorrow so will put into practice what has been recommended. I don't have training in efile, and am in 2 minds tbh. I think at the mo I would rather get to grips with it all by hand so I can get 'a feel' for the nail (does that make sense?!). I won't dismiss it in the future though.

I just find everyone's cuticles so time consuming! They are either half way down the nail bed, or they are children with no nails ( obviously just a polish ) or elderly clients with crippling arthritis! I am soooo loving it though!!

If you try and shape your nails using your brush it will cut off the filling time. Also using a superior product will help you, I found the cheaper brands are lot more lumpy bumpy.

Hugs!!!

Hi everyone,
Just wondered how long it took you all to do a full set of acrylics when you first started. I am really pleased with the work I am producing and am gaining 3 new clients on average per week ( work FT too so quite chuffed) but I do have a degree of OCD and it is taking me 2 hours to do a full set. I know I spend quite a long time on the prep work, but when should I start to try and pick up the pace a bit? Will it just gradually increase or do I need to perhaps book another client in after to make myself speed up a bit. Everyone is v happy with their nails and there is no lifting etc and they have all referred other customers on. Perhaps I am just destined to be slow?! I did my course 2 months ago so I am VERY new!

Hi I don't do acrylics, so can't answer on times etc... When you say you have a "degree of OCD" do you mean clinical OCD or just a personality quirk?

The only reason I ask is my friend had clinical OCD and took a long time to finish treatments out of fear she would get it wrong,but after she went on medication she was able to reduce her treatment time by 60%

Hi I don't do acrylics, so can't answer on times etc... When you say you have a "degree of OCD" do you mean clinical OCD or just a personality quirk?

The only reason I ask is my friend had clinical OCD and took a long time to finish treatments out of fear she would get it wrong,but after she went on medication she was able to reduce her treatment time by 60%

On them lol!!

If you are getting new clients and everyone is happy with your work, don't speed up too much or too quickly. Taking your time with people and doing a good job too is obviously working well for you 😃. If your clients keep coming back they must enjoy their time with you too 😃 Excellent excuse to just sit still for 2 hours 'me-time'. Bet they don't get to do that very often except when they come to see you 😊.
Me, I always give myself 2 hours. If I need it it's there, if not I have a brew 😃 x

If you are getting new clients and everyone is happy with your work, don't speed up too much or too quickly. Taking your time with people and doing a good job too is obviously working well for you 😃. If your clients keep coming back they must enjoy their time with you too 😃 Excellent excuse to just sit still for 2 hours 'me-time'. Bet they don't get to do that very often except when they come to see you 😊.
Me, I always give myself 2 hours. If I need it it's there, if not I have a brew 😃 x

Thank you x

Hi Botox nurse, I literally took hours when I started, mostly on filing the acrylic, because my application was uneven and misplaced. Since then, I invested in a nail trainer and timed myself on each section, prep, application, finishing, polish and art etc. I practised my application technique a lot, and I can now apply acrylic that reduces the time I spend filing. I take anything from one and a half to two hrs, with nail art as well. I always go by the quality rather than the quantity approach. If your clients are happy with the nails you're doing, I wouldn't worry too much. With practice and time, you'll naturally get quicker anyway 😊

I took 2.5-3hours at most but still take 2hours (with shellac on top) sometimes 2.15 if I have nail art too. I've been doing enhancements since my CND training in April. I think 2 hours is fine, my CND educator said its fine, in her salon it's 1.45-2hrs. Don't stress yourself out, just take what time you need and just make sure they know how long when they book.

Sounds like you're doing great gaining so many clients!

Xx

Latest posts

Back