How long to build a business, honestly?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautybecca27

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Long story short.

I trained in tanning and nails and absolutely loved it.

I set up a small business from home and it cost alot of money - training, setting up, doing the room out I was using, cutting my hours at my current job .. And nothing become of it.

5 months down the line I'd had around 10 customers (some came back a few times) and everyone around me apart from my partner told me 'I knew it wouldnt take off' 'I knew you'd fail' 'Its been months and nobody knows about you' 'stop wasting your money and time' .. So I stopped!

After hours of walking the streets posting leaflets / business cards / facebooking / building a site .. And I gave up!

A year on and all I think about is what if? And beauty is for me! I love it!

I mentioned going to do beauty level 2 NVQ and the same negative responses 'to do what? Your not going to try that again are you?'

So ..

All of you starting out and all of you doing really well...

How long did it take? Did it start really slowly? Do you have any tips?

X

Im mobile so not a home salon but I currently offer spray tans, shellac, waxing & tinting. I have added treatments one by one since last October and I was busy in December however January & February were quiet. March things started to pick up and I have a few regulars now. I use my Facebook page quite a lot. I always ask people to leave a review or if they've had a tan post a photo! I'm getting a lot of people from recommendations now too.
If it's something you want to do then go for it! Don't let others hold you back x x

Last edited:
Hi just to say I'm in same position as you really, I have a few regulars but not enough to make a living, I pretty much break even mostly, it's very hard being a home salon and letting people know you actually exist, also there is so much competition! I have no answers for you but thought I'd let you know you are not alone! I refuse to give up completely as I have spent a lot of money however for me I'm thinking once my children are all at school il give it a really good go as I am limited at the time I can spend at the mo. If you did your level 2 you could poss find work in a salon so at least some regular income whilst you build up clients at home x

The people telling you not to bother, are they all successfully self employed with a good client base?

Thought not. :rolleyes:

It can take a long time to get established and you need to be mentally and financially prepared for this. Marketing your business is an endless slog and doesn't stop when you have a few clients. It's a permanently ongoing operation.

You may really enjoy doing beauty but you need to have a passion for business matters too if you truly want success.

If you're still unsure, consider doing your level 2 beauty and perhaps look for work in a salon until you're ready to try again.

Thanks everyone for your advice! Means alot!

You all sound very determind - I love it!!

I feel ready for it now - well, I did previously but with all the negativity I got into the complete wrong head space and it really got me down and I wasn't confident and I couldnt shake it - I just wanted people to have my back on it to be honest instead of totally trashing it!

My plan this time round was to get my NVQ level 2 attneding college on an evening Possibly go for my level 3 - or go onto a salon business with the open college to understand that side of things..

By the time I would have completed both - my children will be in full time school and that bit older .. I'd keep my evening job and offer treatments during the day (school hours) and possibly saturday mornings .. Until I built up and then I'd leave my current job.

Does this sound too ambitious? Or completely do-able?

Xxxxx

Thanks everyone for your advice! Means alot!

You all sound very determind - I love it!!

I feel ready for it now - well, I did previously but with all the negativity I got into the complete wrong head space and it really got me down and I wasn't confident and I couldnt shake it - I just wanted people to have my back on it to be honest instead of totally trashing it!

My plan this time round was to get my NVQ level 2 attneding college on an evening Possibly go for my level 3 - or go onto a salon business with the open college to understand that side of things..

By the time I would have completed both - my children will be in full time school and that bit older .. I'd keep my evening job and offer treatments during the day (school hours) and possibly saturday mornings .. Until I built up and then I'd leave my current job.

Does this sound too ambitious? Or completely do-able?

Xxxxx
Totally doable, and pretty sensible.

NVQ is a good idea. I think it'll help you with everything and it'll make you employable. If you then went to be self employed you'll be a lot more confident and may be able to be employed and self employed.

Working from home was fab and it was the richest I've been in this industry. I remember the week before I had a holiday and my takings were through the roof. Don't let others rain on your parade. As the saying goes, if you believe it won't work, you're probably right. Believe it will succeed. But it won't happen overnight. It takes advertising, leaflet drops, Facebook ads, website and so on over and over again.

I started from home. I qualified on the Tuesday and had my first client on the Wednesday. From memory, her treatments came to £50. I couldn't believe someone was going to pay me that much money and not even leaving my house. It went well but it doesn't happen overnight.

Leaflets, ads and info should look the best it can. If it looks cheap, it'll attract cheap. Aim for the best.

Good luck

Vic x

Hi there. Gosh you sound so much like me!
A year ago I was just coming to the end of my l3 in beauty massage and l2 in nails (I also have l2 beauty and l2 makeup) . My plan was to work mobile 2.5 days a week in addition to my part time job and build up to eventually being able to give up the part time job.
Then I got the bad news I was at high risk from impending redundancy. I made the decision to seek work else where and ended up getting a job five days a week as a teaching assistant in a school.
Unfortunately this meant I couldn't easily fit in my mobile work so I stopped.
However a couple of months ago it hit me how unhappy this job is making me and also how I feel I am wasting all the hard work I put in getting qualifications.
I have started to take on clients evenings and weekends and am getting quite a lot of interest; more than I can currently fit in with my job, kids and training for a half marathon and seeing my boyfriend .
My plan is to continue as I am and hopefully when my contract ends in August I will have enough interest and regular clients to become a full time mobile therapist (or even better maybe a nice part time job I can do at the same time will come my way!)
I have stopped even mentioning my plans to my parents as they are so negative and want me to do a teaching degree instead and live a miserable life but in a 'safe job' .
Don't give up on your dream! Life only comes round once and years from now even if my plans have failed at least I can say I tried, rather than be sat there in a job I hate thinking 'what if' xxx

I had a lot of negativity when I started, partly because I was leaving a good job. I stuck at it...delivering leaflets, improving treatments, setting up refer a friend schemes, delivering more leaflets, spreading the word.

20 years on and I have a really successful business based at home. Many of my friends are in jobs they have come to hate.

It hasn't happened overnight but work at your dream with the passion you feel for what you do and you WILL get there!

I think its worth mentioning to all those around you with negative attitudes that if they are not going to support your ideas then they need
to keep their opinions to themselves. Any body who has a good successful business has put a lot of hard work, commitment and determination into it so keep going. Your positive attitude will get you places!:)

I just adore everyones attitude on here! Its so positive and I love everyones experiences that they've 'been there done that'!! Its great!

You've all really really helped me and politely gave me a kick up the butt that I needed .. You've all clearly worked and are willing to work extemely hard to get where you want to be within the industry and I think its about time I dusted myself off - got back up .. And went for it!!

Just to add a word of caution......and I REALLY don't want to come across tooo negative.
Most of the success stories on here (but not all), are Folk who started out BEFORE the HUGE increase in people entering this industry.
We have OVER SUPPLY and with that brings a much tougher market place!
I worked successfully from home a few years ago....VERY FEW offered this type of service then....
Now many do.
I have clients building log cabins in their garden as we speak,going to give up high flying city jobs, and do 'friends & family'....and earn the same as they did in Canary Wharf!!!!!! :oops:
PASSION & DETERMINATION for the industry is what sorts the wheat from the chaff.;)

One other thing that you guys may know about actually...

The NVQ route - because I'll only be offering certain things ie spray tanning, gel nails, eyelashes, eyebrows ... Thats about all I want atm ..

Is it best I do it at a beauty centre as I've seen one about 15 miles away 'total hair and beauty training' and they do individual courses and are accredited etc.

It's just the same way I got my gel nails and spray tanning certificates I suppose doing short courses.

I know NVQ is best for employment but if I want to set up on my own - would the difference in courses make much difference? Xxxxx

One other thing that you guys may know about actually...

The NVQ route - because I'll only be offering certain things ie spray tanning, gel nails, eyelashes, eyebrows ... Thats about all I want atm ..

Is it best I do it at a beauty centre as I've seen one about 15 miles away 'total hair and beauty training' and they do individual courses and are accredited etc.

It's just the same way I got my gel nails and spray tanning certificates I suppose doing short courses.

I know NVQ is best for employment but if I want to set up on my own - would the difference in courses make much difference? Xxxxx
It depends where you set up and the rules. Some local authorities require a minimum level 2nvq qualification to run your own business, so do check. It may not include home workers but do check.

I personally think the nvq route is worth doing. It's a solid recognised qualification and means you can easily go into employment if you needed or wanted to.

I have a part time nvq3 who does 2 days a week for me and works from home. Best of both worlds x

Having looked into this for myself, I'd definitely get the NVQ as a solid base to build from

It's good too have for the future incase regulations change and it becomes compulsory and if later on you fancied getting into teaching I'm pretty sure you need the NVQ's to be able too do that

If you have the time and can afford the NVQ it's definitely worth getting under your belt

Good luck with everything

Hey I have a home salon which I started on the side of my old job in 2011, I eventually moved in a new house in 2014 and threw myself into the business and it's just started now getting really really busy. It's taken a long time to get my name out there, but now I have it's paying off. Literally all of my clients are from word of mouth and Facebook, I've never even done a leaflet drop [emoji3]. I made it super professional getting a logo made etc and making my my standards extra high. I use products from well known brands, and have a good loyalty system going. Don't give up!! [emoji3] and ignore what others say ! Because I had left my part time job I knew I had to make it work or I would be screwed so I think that helped [emoji3]if you love it you will make it work xxxx

I did my qualifications with vtct as I wanted recognised quals but tbh a lot of things I studied I won't use as I either didn't enjoy them or they aren't great for mobile services.
I plan on focusing on providing quality spa treatment such as massages and also luxury manicures and pedicures as the market for nails and makeup is saturated around here with offers for a tenner xxx

You're all so amazingly helpful and informative! Thank you sooo much!

I've seen a NCFE on the open college site .. Never heard of it before but after researching its like an NVQ without someone seeing the practical and it means I can get started right away as theres no start date..

Is this no good either??

Ideally NVQ for me but the financial options for my age aren't very good at all and it'd be a struggle atm

Xxxxxx

personally id say for me it took a good 4 years to make a successful business out of it, i started training 10 years ago and have added treatments every year, the last four years i really concerntrated on builiding client base and the last year really pinned down the marketing now i do it full time from home and love it x

You're all so amazingly helpful and informative! Thank you sooo much!

I've seen a NCFE on the open college site .. Never heard of it before but after researching its like an NVQ without someone seeing the practical and it means I can get started right away as theres no start date..

Is this no good either??

Ideally NVQ for me but the financial options for my age aren't very good at all and it'd be a struggle atm

Xxxxxx
Never heard of it but would guess you would want someone overseeing your practical - isn't that how you learn. VTCT or NVQ ate known by employers and the council x

After a quick Google I would say no, it's not equivalent to an NVQ. It's an online course. VTCT and NVQ are all about being assessed in your practical work. If you seriously want to do this, then do it. There are always back door qualifications and one day courses but if you're asking my opinion then do the best you can. Not the cheapest, fastest, closest etc. I know people will say they did an NVQ and the teaching was rubbish and outdated which unfortunately it may be, and yes, your real training comes when you leave college but an NVQ will give you all the practical and the a and p to get out there and start earning. Or just do one day courses. It really is up to you x

Latest posts

Back