How long u been doing this shtick?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long u been stuck at this job?

• Seems 450 years +

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Over a decade

Votes: 42 8.7%
  • Between 5 and 10 years

Votes: 63 13.0%
  • Between 1 and 5 years

Votes: 177 36.5%
  • Under a year

Votes: 194 40.0%

• Total voters
Possessed!Aint that the truth. I started in the Industry early 80's very Dallas/Dynasty.Hair. BIG Shoulder Pads.BIG. Eyeshadow.Lots.[On one eyelid] Nails/ OOHH MY GOD! Iv'e remained relatively independent of COURSES![Although I welcomed Company Reps mainly OPI at that stage I felt it was the best on offer] until the last 5yrs.Creative came along & that took care of how to retail also.[I'm the only NailNut in our household & I do hold my own against HOLDEN v FORD] My sons godfather was dating a lady who's mum had just opened one of the first NailBars in Sydney. Did a 2wk course, stayed 8mths & then went on from there.19&3/4yrs later WE ARE NOT BUFFING CONCRETE ANYMORE[THANK GOD] & I'd never fit 5 diff colours of eyeshadow on my eyelids anymore. jnail AUSTRALIA

I have been doing nails for 2 years and I love it! I can't ever imagine not wanting to be involved in the nail industry. Enjoy the job, great clients, made loads of friends through my job!

I haven't been doing this very long as I am still only part-way through my training but I HAD to do this after having tips fitted for my wedding last year that were covered in sparkly rhinestones...... well, 3 days before my wedding, I started out with silk overlays and french polish but they were so badly applied (both the wraps and the polish) that it looked like I had severe nail problems. :cry:

My sister came to the rescue and suggested I had the wraps removed and tips put on instead. I was so fascinated with the work and the art that i thought i had to learn this. It took me a while (over a year) to get organised with a course but now I can't get enough!!!! :Love: The pros make it look sooooo easy but its the most challenging and enjoyable (and at times most frustrating!!) thing i've ever had to learn!!!!

Well I'm 10 years in and still loving it! My Mom paid for my first set of nails when I was 15, I was a terrible nail bitter and she just wanted to see if they would help me stop. Of course that was back in the days where they dam near sawed off your finger to stick a tip on. Of course the nail tech made them way too long for a nail bitter and you can just guess how long they lasted....lol. When I started working more I started having my nails done regularly and was hooked. After a while though I realized how much I was spending on having my nails done and when the oportunity came up to go to esthetic collage (beauty collage) I jumped on the chance. I took the full esthetic course and was really excited cause it included full sculpted acrylic nails. After collage I entered one nail competition, won it for student and then was fully hooked. Been doing nails ever since and when I moved to England it was just booming here for acrylic so had no problems finding work. Started really getting into the nail art and airbrushing in the last few years now I just want to be the best I can be and my long term goals are to get my NVQ and become an educator.

The first time i saw nail enchancement, my aunt came on holi, & i thought to myself "Holly crap, her nails look sooo fab" And that was it.
So, prof doing nails a yr & 1/2, but been doing it on & off for friends since 14.

I don't know why but even when I was a young girly I had a thing about hands. I don't even know why.

At school in Art class I was constantly drawing, painting and sketching hands. I joined a band and designed our logo which consisted of the name of the band being held by a giant ........yes you guessed it ........hand!

Yet it wasn't until my late 20's that I realised what I really wanted to do was small intricate work........like........NAIL ART. Yep thats where it all started. I then decided that if thats what I wanted to do for a living , then I would have to know a little bit of back ground. Thats when I started my first Nail courses.

Now its not just Nail Art I love, I love doing Manicure/Pedicure, and Nail Enhancements L&P. Totally hooked. Just wish I'd started alot sooner.
Been doing nails 3 and a half years now.:Love:
Jules

Well, 11 years ago I was a waitress doing my own nails and anyone elses who would let me, when my Mother-in law of all people said to me, "why are you doing this for free when you could be making a living at it?" If you want to go to school I will pay your tuition."
So I said to myself, "Self, you should take her up on that!" So I did. 3 years into it I found myself in San Diego at CND Boot Camp, I was an educator for about 4 years and can honestly say it was the best thing I could have ever done. I now am a salon manager and am starting my own consulting business. I love everything about this job and the talented people I have the opportunity to meet. I am convinced the best is yet to come....

Been doing this for 16yrs now, five yrs in salon and 11yrs at home omg!

ok...since 1991...some days it feels like it's been 450 + and others it's the first day on the job. (I not only do this my self, but teach at a cosmetology/nail technology school) I really thought I wanted to be a pharmacist, but realized advanced chemistry was not my forte, so I was forced to move on. My mother was and still is a cosmetology instructor and owner of a school. I had to pay for my books and kit, but she gave me the education. (she's still educates me, or at least pays my way to classes I attend) It was a no brainer decision, a cheap education that was mine to do what I wanted.

My "cheap" education bought our first house (when I was 21), paid for my husband's master's degree in physics, and allows my to pay for the fun things I like to do (ski, golf, white water rafting) I don't think I'll ever change careers, this industry changes enough to keep my interest and my students keep me young and crazy:biggrin:

I am almost finished my years training at college, so I'm really new to this.

I have always styled my nails since I was a child. I was going in to college (I work in admin at college) with different styles of nail art and colours on my nails every week. Colleagues started asking if I would do theirs aswell, so of course I did. We then started running the VTCT course at our college and the tutor that ran the course said that I was really good and should consider doing the course. I did'nt feel that I would be good enough so did'nt enrol, then the tutor gave me loads of encouragement and inspiration, so I enrolled for the course and absolutely loved it!! I have never looked back since and can't wait to finish my course and hopefully have a career in nails, with lots more training to look forward to.

:)

I used to be a bad nail biter when I was young and then at 15 decided to grow my nails. I used sit and paint them on a daily basis. About 4 years ago I had my first taste of enhancements - it was a NSS place and was not a good experience. I then found a lady in our town that uses Creative and went to her a few times. I have always been fascinated with nails and nail art so I thought I should learn to do it. I was only going to do it on myself but when I passed my Essential Nail course last July, my friends just piled through the door for me to practice on. I enrolled and passed the Star Nails total technician course in November and have now passed the Pronails acrylic, gel and pedicure courses. I left work in Dec 04, which has been mainly office work for the last ? years, and now at the grand old age of 47 I am now my own boss and at the moment working from home and loving every single minute of it. I still consider myself in training as there is so much to learn. I thank God for this site and my Pronails trainer, both of whom are inspirational and supportive.

I had my nails 'done' to get married in April 2004 and loved them. By the summer I had enroled on some courses and the rest they say is history!

I absolutely love every minute of it! I stopped my full time job in Sept 2002 when I had my first baby and increasingly felt I needed something else in my life for 'me'. I have some fabulous clients and as a mobile I can vary my hours of work. (Which will come in very handy with baby no 2 due in 5 weeks!).

Couldn't see myself doing anything else now, I think I'll love it forever!

Almost got a year undr my belt!!

Claireamy xxx:)

I've been doing nails since November 2005!! Decided after having a couple of bad experiences with nail salons/techs that I wanted to become a technician & do my nails properly!! Used to be a Nursery nurse but after getting married & having my 2 little boys fancied a change. Thought at first it would be a hobby but has become so much more to me!! Even doing the beauty side of things as well now!! hoping to set up from home, health permitting as have a few probs there but finger's crossed!! There's nowt like the sense of a pride you get when you see the finished results that you have achieved after every set/ treatment!! Its really addictive as there's always more you can learn/do so yeh costs a fortune but it sooooooo worth it!!:)

it has been 19 years for me ...I was doing anybody and everybody that would let me do there nails....I did them for a year this way without my licence :rolleyes: I know! ....then one day while I was doing my mother I was telling her how much money I was making and she said of you are getting paid so much why don't you go to school and really learn then you can have a job you like and support yourself in case something "happens"....you can have something to fall back on ....so I looked into school and went ....learned lots, made new friends and discoverd I love this profession......So I got my licence and have had this career since ....I rented spaces for about 12 years then went into co - owner ship to open our Salon and had that for 5 years and then moved out of country ....now I have a home based Salon ...I like it .....but at time I do miss the Salon atmophere and the gossip ! But as far as nails go ...I'm forever larning and could not be happier with my Career of choice ! :lol:

iv been doin nails jst under a yr,finished my training,applied 2 a local nail salon,got the job and haven't looked back still learning things everday but i love it :green:

I started in the late 80 when I was in H.S. because imy cusin would not do my nail at the shop even though I was paying for them. I was doing all my friends and soon one of here clients so my other cousin that owned the salon why don't you go to school for it on the weekends and I'll pay for it and you'll have an income when you go away to college. the rest is history

January will be 8 years,it was a toss between hair /nails and i loved nails more.this job is incredible to create beautiful nails for happy clients oh the joy of doing nails.

Florentina Alexander
[email protected]
Nails At Last

Kit arrived last week, courses start this week... so am rather new!

Ivy

ive only been doing nails for a few months but im loving it...

ay - wanted to put 450 years - but that would make me a liar lol:lol: :green: :lol: :hug:

Latest posts

Back