How long until you were good at applying polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lush-Lash

Reaction score
Hi geeks.

I qualified in mani & pedi last year, I've recently just bought into the opi nail polish range & cnd manicure/pedicure products, & have been practising my polishing (for about a week or two)

Think I'm getting better (just slowly) how long roughly did it take you to get good?

I've read geegs tutorial on precision polishing & that has helped (thanks geeg)

Also I've just bought some nail fresh from sweet squared which will arrive next week so will let loose with this when its here.

I haven't even attempted to start on my French yet, as at the mo I'm still trying to get my polish correct.

im still getting a bit of scruffiness at the cuticle so will nail fresh help with this? another thing is, because I'm trying not to hit the side walls I'm leaving quite big gaps either side & when I'm going back to fill these gaps either side in it makes a mess, I already pull the sidewalls down either side to make more room if that makes sense?

Attached a couple of pics of the scruffy cuticle issue I mean lol, not the best quality but you get the idea :)

Thanks x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361573914.782901.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361573914.782901.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 154
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361573931.982945.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361573931.982945.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 149
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361573947.349836.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361573947.349836.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 140
Polishing is a pretty easy skill to pick up, relatively speaking (ie its not like learning to sculpt or do smile lines that take years to master).

It's an ongoing process and you will improve in stages but you should be proficient in polishing pretty quickly. You've seen Geeg's tutorial so I wont go over the technique, but the best advice I can offer is to get stuck in and do it in bold, confident moves. When you are nervous and approach it gingerly and carefully that's when you are most likely to make mistakes and get an uneven finish, then you end up messing around with nailfresh, you tidy up a bit more than you wanted to, so you try and correct it but end up over correcting and so on, until eventually you've made a real mess and the whole thing needs removing and starting again!! Confident, bold strokes work best; they are smoother and cover the nail in less strokes, so practice your application by just getting stuck in and not hesitating :hug:

Latest posts

Back