How low can they go? Is this the lowest price yet?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really do wonder why anyone new would want to attempt to enter the industry nowadays, if they knew what they were up against to make anything remotely approaching a decent living and the time it takes to be in a postion to offer enhancements to a good standard! They could take forever just to recoup the cost of their training/products at current rates!

Obviously, well established techs may be able to keep afloat by virtue of their long standing clients, speed and good skills but maybe the only real winners these days are the companies/distributors and trainers? :|

Just because you charge less doesn't automatically make your work crap or lesser than someone elses.

I won't go into my pricing as I know you'll all jump on me. I charge what I can for my clientele and area and it works for me.

*runs and hides :(*

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app
Your clients would change if you changed your pricing - I'd not even consider going to a salon charging anything less than £20ish and that's at a push.

I charge at the top end of my area, I have many times felt forced to lower my prices but I can't, it would de-value everything I've done - the one thing I did do though as I noticed clients were drifting off to other techs was an 'offer day' where all nails are 20% off - this works fab, it's every Thursday and gets booked up fast but doesn't de-value me all year around!

Even on a Thursday though the lowest set is £17.60!! I occasionally think at the end of the day that I could've earned £20/30 more so I don't know how these people do it week in week out, if you're good at what you do, charge for it!

Thank you to those who didn't attack me lol! I charge less but work more. I'd rather it like this then charge £50 and wonder why I only got one or two clients a week.

My area is saturated with salons and techs, nearly all of these are high end. I've honed in on those people that don't want to pay that much, I don't mind going to the "grubby" side of town. I take an hour for a set of nails, meaning I can do more in a day.

Plus the tips that they all give are frickin' awesome.

I really do wonder why anyone new would want to attempt to enter the industry nowadays,

Exactly! I qualified in Jan 2013 and will not be attempting it!

Your clients would change if you changed your pricing - I'd not even consider going to a salon charging anything less than £20ish and that's at a push.

I charge at the top end of my area, I have many times felt forced to lower my prices but I can't, it would de-value everything I've done - the one thing I did do though as I noticed clients were drifting off to other techs was an 'offer day' where all nails are 20% off - this works fab, it's every Thursday and gets booked up fast but doesn't de-value me all year around!

Even on a Thursday though the lowest set is £17.60!! I occasionally think at the end of the day that I could've earned £20/30 more so I don't know how these people do it week in week out, if you're good at what you do, charge for it!

I know, I used to give the odd discount here an there an record it, then when I worked out in a year how much is lost in giving people discounts I wanted to cry an swiftly put a stop to it. It was nearly 4k an that was just giving people the odd 20% off! that could of been a very nice holiday lol!!

I can completely understand why people discount and don't discredit anyone for doing so, however what I don't understand is why people devalue themselves so much, for example, the going rate for shellac in my area is between £18&£26 so it doesn't make business sense to for this girl to charge £10, if people are coming to her because she's the cheapest (this is her USP) then why did she not go in at £15/£16 at least? She'd still be cheaper an she'd not devaluing herself or the industry as much.

I just don't understand these huge discounts at all. Xxxx

I know, I used to give the odd discount here an there an record it, then when I worked out in a year how much is lost in giving people discounts I wanted to cry an swiftly put a stop to it. It was nearly 4k an that was just giving people the odd 20% off! that could of been a very nice holiday lol!!

I can completely understand why people discount and don't discredit anyone for doing so, however what I don't understand is why people devalue themselves so much, for example, the going rate for shellac in my area is between £18&£26 so it doesn't make business sense to for this girl to charge £10, if people are coming to her because she's the cheapest (this is her USP) then why did she not go in at £15/£16 at least? She'd still be cheaper an she'd not devaluing herself or the industry as much.

I just don't understand these huge discounts at all. Xxxx
I think I'd have a fit if I recorded the discount I gave over a year!! I give about 4 friends regular 20% off nails and sometimes wish I didn't for a couple of them as I don't think they really appreciate my work because of it plus if it's something like £27.20 which my £34 sets are they may give £27 and don't have any change! It's only 20p but why not round it up to £28 and give me 80p for a change.. so petty that I just let it go, it's just the principal!!

Glamour Fairy :)

Can I just remind people we don't post pictures of other techs work here to criticise it or their prices on SG.
Thanks

Can I just remind people we don't post pictures of other techs work here to criticise it or theiOr prices on SG.
Thanks

I actually thought that was just a joke. Not an actual set of nails :)

So did I!!! Xx

New one in my area £10 l&p with any art.
£6 shellac
Swedish massage full body £10!
I give up lol x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I actually thought that was just a joke. Not an actual set of nails :)

The pictures I was referring to have been removed as they could be recognised by the owner or by clients etc.

The pictures I was referring to have been removed as they could be recognised by the owner or by clients etc.

Oh. Thought u meant the joke one on the first page xx

Hmmm.. lets see. I charge what I feel I am worth and my service is impeccable, I actually sterilize with an autoclave and all my disposables are done away with each client. My overhead isn't cheap and my fixed expenses are up there along with using high end product.
It really adds up. I HAVE to make $320 each day at the spa just to keep my doors open.
My sets start at $65. That is just for an elegant simple set of nails. You want french or anything else such as a Shellac finish then you add $15.
Artwork and designs are .50 to $5 per nail based upon consultation.
I do sets that can add up to $125 easily and I have a clientele that appreciates me and my worth.
I am in the same plaza with a discount nail salon and I have a Lot of client inquiries but no bookings as they tell me that my neighbor does it for $25.
Feel free to get your nails done with my neighbor because I am not wasting my time or space that someone else will take. I am still booked with 8-9 sets a week and even with higher prices they still tip me well :)
They travel across the city to see me every 2-3 weeks.
Charge what you are worth.
Ps. I am a full service spa so I am booked back to back each day with various esthetics, not just nails

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Hilarious timing. Just been shocked at something on Facebook and then came on here and saw this thread. What shocked me? A lady advertising her salon and offering 'full set of acrylics for £4.50 all next week' ??! Wonder what price they are when they aren't on offer....

Hi All,
Sorry I am a bit lost here have just logged on. Izzidoll you have deleted some pictures. Is the picture of the nails on the first page genuine.
Is this someone trying to advertise themselves.?
What does "Clients be like" actually mean?!

I really do hope this is a joke.

Hi All,
Sorry I am a bit lost here have just logged on. Izzidoll you have deleted some pictures. Is the picture of the nails on the first page genuine.

I had posted a print screen of the advert on my Facebook not realising that it wasn't allowed on here
So it was deleted
X

Hi All,

The picture that has been left is a joke that has been circulating social network sites for ages.

Bet yous cant beat this a salon not too far from me does a £5 wednesday everything is £5 and I mean everything. Cut and blow drys nails lashes leg waxing the lot lol. Makes me laugh. People go then come and complain about them. If you only willing to pay n they make a mess cant really complain.
Im finding in our days people just ho where ever is cheap that week.Does anyone else think this. I think im not really cheap but average for my area where some of you on here might think is cheap you cant win. :-/.:(

It's sad that in my town people would rather go to someone who is cheaper and doesn't do as good a job than go to someone more expensive and get a perfect set of nail enhancements. I'm talking badly shaped and full of bubbles.

Latest posts

Back