How Many Clients Re-Book?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Rose

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

There's lots of threads on here about gaining new clients, how to advertise, where to etc....

Out of the new clients you get in through the door, from whatever method used, what %age would you say re-book, either for the same treatment or for something else.

If they don't re-book there & then, do you have a follow up procedure?

hiya ... i would say 99% re-book there and then....i have the odd few who only have there nails done for holidays and special occasion...the rest are hooked from day 1...:lol:

I always get them to re-book by explaining that i am busy and do get booked up quite quickly and i would hate to disappoint by not being able to get them in.

Get that diary out as soon as you have finished and say "are weds good for you Mrs ****, if so i can get you in on the same day at the same time in 3 weeks"

Lol, do you mean stage?!

I uually ask them when they're paying for the bill - obviously explain during the treatment about follow up treatments ie infills, regular manicures etc, explain the benefits, especially if it's for infills. Then, when taking the bill, ask if they'd like to rebook in for another appointment, if they say "Mmm I don't know when I'll be free" etc, then hand them a card/price list and just tell them to phone back when they know.

Hahahaha, I so just re read that now as PERCENTAGE!!

What a clart I am, 23 and I don't even get the text speak these days!! hahaha!!

LOL, no I think Sarah means percentage, like she has written a % sign and then age, so that it says %age

Marion x

Yep, I did mean percentage.

I'm similar to Bagpuss, the majority re-book before they leave. It hasn't always been this way tho, it's something I began to do more and more as my confidence grew. It's down to you to ask them to re-book, don't wait for them to say they want to, just get your diary out and explain the benefits of a regular routine :)

Lol, do you mean stage?!

I uually ask them when they're paying for the bill - obviously explain during the treatment about follow up treatments ie infills, regular manicures etc, explain the benefits, especially if it's for infills. Then, when taking the bill, ask if they'd like to rebook in for another appointment, if they say "Mmm I don't know when I'll be free" etc, then hand them a card/price list and just tell them to phone back when they know.

I usually do this, but I find 9 times out of 10, they never ring back!
Or if I have managed to persuade them to re-book, they tend to ring me a couple of days before I'm due to go to them and cancel!
I find it very frustrating indeed!! Does anyone know a failsafe way to ensure we get repeat bookings!? I am out of ideas!! :rolleyes:

I usually do this, but I find 9 times out of 10, they never ring back!
Or if I have managed to persuade them to re-book, they tend to ring me a couple of days before I'm due to go to them and cancel!
I find it very frustrating indeed!! Does anyone know a failsafe way to ensure we get repeat bookings!? I am out of ideas!! :rolleyes:

Mmmm...are you getting feedback from your clients...are they happy with the work you have done....??

If this is happening alot then i would want to know why.

hi Sarah, great thread!

I would say 75% re-book within 6 weeks if not straight after the appointment.

10% are special occassions, I see them birthday, christmas, mothers day, etc.

10% just disappear into the ether

5% didn't fulfil (their often unrealistic) their expectations/had healing response.

Every 3 months I send out a newsletter and tell them the special offers that are coming up and offer an incentive for them to re-book.

Funnily enough, I got a client on tuesday that had come to see me in 2006 and didn't come back, but turned up and has re-booked for 4 weeks time.

Sometimes some clients only have a set occasionally for something special. They are the ones you may only see half a dozen times a year. Others...the best thing to do is book the rebalance appointment at the end of the service as Angie says because otherwise they probably won't get an appointment at a time they prefer. Tell them they can always cancel if they have a problem but they won't if they are happy. If they do cancel find out why and put it right and you'll have a regular for life.

Do you find that sometimes you think to yourself "oh I haven't seen so & so for ages, I wonder how they are?", then within a week or so you either see them in town, or better still they phone to make an appointment?

It's happened many a time to me.

99% re book...i often say...."being as you have enjoyed this treatment,when would you like to reschedule...?"

I work late nights tuesday to friday,so i am very flexible....if clients are unsure i get them to re book provisionaly,then they can call if they can not make it...otherwise i give them a call the day before....i do this with all new clients...then when they are regular,there is no need to try and get them to re book,i am thier with the diary thinking of lots of lovely lolly and profits in my mind:D:D:D

As some others have said, the vast majority of people book their next appointment whilst paying for the one just done, quite a lot book several in advance. If it's just a one off set for a birthday or holiday etc you tend to find that out during the intial appointment, although quite often they love them so much they can turn out to be regulars anyway lol!

I just get the diary out now as a matter of course at the end of the appointment although I didn't use to in the beginning . . . now it's as natural to me as taking their money lol! :lol:

We've found a few ways of improving our business from existing customers - we ended up developing a computer system to do it but it works well.

Shorten time between appointments
For those who book at the end of the last appointment. Going from every 7 and a half weeks to 6 weeks (or 4 weeks to 3) increases earnings by 25% without any extra advertising.

Sending a reminder email to those who don't book now.

We programmed the computer system with all the treatments and services we offer - so that when someone comes in for one treatment and they don't book at the end of the appointment they automatically get an email a week before the treatment would normally be due again telling them (in a gentle way) that it's time for them to book again.

That means that we're not relying on their memory and making it easy for them to come back. I guess it works because unless you did a terrible job most people will read their email and call or reply rather than saying "she's right - I do need my nails filled, let me find the yellow pages and look for a completely different salon because I enjoy finding new places, looking for parking and risking a bad job from a total stranger".

Send a reminder email to those who cancel or don't show.

Now obviously this works where your customers have email and it's worth it even if only a few do because those are done automatically leaving you to chase up on the others in some different way.

Very few of my clients re-book straight after they have finished there treatment, they tend to contact me a few days before they want a treatment.

I am defo' in the process of getting my clients and myself more organized, by getting them to re-book in advance-so I know what I am doing from week to week. I am mosty mobie at the mo', by the way.

When I first started as a nail tec, I woud'nt dream of asking a client to re-book, I did'nt have enough confidence and I did'nt want to embarass the client in case they may not be abe to afford regular treatments.

I like peter bowen's ideas, making re-booking easier for people and not relying on their memory. Also, I like the ideas of provisional re-booking.

I do always have the niggling thought that a client that 'disappeared into the ether' did'nt like the treatment, and I try my best to find out what if anything went wrong and correct it, so I have a client for life, as was also previously mentioned.

Last edited:
hi there,

when i have a new customer in, i do the treatment and tell them about other treatments that they may like, etc, if they don't re book in for any thing at the end of their 1st treatment, i give them a recall card, this is a card which says.

" thank you for coming to the the beauty room i hope you enjoyed your treatment, has a thank you i would like to give you 25% off your next treatment, this could be a facial, pedicure any thing you fancy.

I only ask that you have this treatment within 1 month of today ..................2008.

So have a look at the price list and give me a call.

This card is only given as a last resort,its great for me, and works well. I have montioned this and from Jan 1st i have had 16 new customers and given 6 cards out and 3 have re booked for other treatments.
So i have had
10 customer book in again after the 1st treatment
3 rebook from the Recall cards
3 hopefully will book sometime soon.

This is a system that Lancome and clarins use to book people back in. It is tried and tested. I used to be an area manager for both companies, you always give the customer something to come back for, ie next months special offer, new treatment,

hope this helps,
cheers
Natasha

Last edited:
some good pointers there, thanks.

I do special offers every month to try and entice people in aswell. but I definetly think that when you get your confidence in yourself and your service, you are happy to get your client to re-book straight away.

Some interesting comments geeks. Personally I've always had a pretty good re-book rate. I don't treat clients very much these days and spend my time marketing & promoting the business instead.

My full time therapist has an excellent re-book rate, but my now departed part-timer didn't - hence she's departed. I'm not sure if it's me expecting too much from employees or the individuals aren't good enough/confident enough/nice/friendly enough. I've got through 4 therapists in the last 20 months because they don't get enough clients coming back. Considering clients are worth about £300+ per year it makes for some very scary figures when clients don't come back.

Maybe for those of you lacking confidence about asking clients to re-book, perhaps if you think that they are going to spend say £300 per year & if 50 don't come back, that's £15k down the drain. One way to find your confidence hey!

oooouuu:lol:. I like minime1's idea...I'm sure I will use that in the future. Yipee!

Latest posts

Back