How many colours to start with?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolly_Day_Dreamer.

Reaction score
To start up, how many colours would you say were enough? Im looking at Shellac x

I started off with 25 shellac colours then added a new one about each month after that or when a new collection came out

I started off with 25 shellac colours then added a new one about each month after that or when a new collection came out
Thats what I currently have in my S2 basket! I wasn't sure if it was too many given the cost and im just starting out, but figured you cant get clients and only offer them a few different colours can you x

Thats what I currently have in my S2 basket! I wasn't sure if it was too many given the cost and im just starting out, but figured you cant get clients and only offer them a few different colours can you x

They creative play gel looks promising and better price than shellac

Are you running a business to make a living from or is this just a fun hobby for you?
Stick your business head on and don’t allow yourself to be swept away by pretty colours and glitter. You’ll end up with a huge collection of bottles and your profit margin will all but disappear. Realistically, you’d earn a lot more by stacking shelves.

If you have too many colours, clients struggle to make a decision. Change your nail colour very regularly and wear the less popular colours with some pretty jewellery, bling ring etc. It’s amazing how many clients dither and then plump for the colour that you’re currently wearing.

Don’t forget that you can always layer colours to get a different effect.

Are you running a business to make a living from or is this just a fun hobby for you?
Stick your business head on and don’t allow yourself to be swept away by pretty colours and glitter. You’ll end up with a huge collection of bottles and your profit margin will all but disappear. Realistically, you’d earn a lot more by stacking shelves.

If you have too many colours, clients struggle to make a decision. Change your nail colour very regularly and wear the less popular colours with some pretty jewellery, bling ring etc. It’s amazing how many clients dither and then plump for the colour that you’re currently wearing.

Don’t forget that you can always layer colours to get a different effect.
I am hoping to make a business out of it.
Thanks I didn't actually think about overwhelming clients with too much so I will bear that in mind.

It's definitely hard not to get over excited and ive had to swop colours around so that im not being too biased with my own tastes! X

Does that work the same as Shellac? X

Supposed to be harder wearing and its alot better value
Just released on the s2 website

Should join the Facebook group sweet squared

Fyi if I was to start out again i would use ink London or another brand.

I don’t agree, I find many clients tend to stick within specific tones. Eg pink or nudes. If they’re returning every 2 weeks they’ll quickly get fed up of the same colours. Clients love that I have a lot of choice for them and keep up with the latest colours and nail art

Supposed to be harder wearing and its alot better value
Just released on the s2 website

Should join the Facebook group sweet squared

Fyi if I was to start out again i would use ink London or another brand.
So better and longer lasting but cheaper? Fab lol x

I'm using ink london an opted for 25 colours to start with. I didn't think it was enough so I've just increased it to 35 and feel this covers most bases. With a good selection of glitters/foils/stamping aswel there is plenty of variation

When gel polish (or Shellac) first came out, if I remember the ranges were limited to less than 20 colours. And the salons made great business!

Having tons of colours doesn't make you unique - because anyone else can doing the same. Focus on investing in stuff that makes you different - education, different services etc.

When you have cash to splash, by all means reward yourself with some more colours. xx

Latest posts

Back