How many hot stones....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mouffloncake

Reaction score
.... do *you* use when you give a full body massage?

When I have a few replies, I will tell you why I am asking.....

x

mmmmm its difficult to say as it depends on how warm they keep whilst massaging and time.

I would say I use roughly 6 stones on each area to massage, ie, 6 on the front of one leg, 6 on the back of each leg, 6 on each arm, roughly 6-8 on the back and 4 - 6 smaller stones on the face.

I also place a stone in each of the clients hands and small stones in between each of the clients toes.

Before I begin the treatment, I place 6 large stones on the clients back to keep them warm throughout the treatment.

I have 54 in my set and bought more as I was running out.
sometimes I have the sink filled with hot soapy water and put them in their then return them to the heater, but since I've bought more stones I'm not having to do that.

It all depends normally about 60 including placements - I've adapted my hot stone so it's more of a holistic massage/hot stone fusion. I watched an amazing DVD by sacred stone and she really inspired me. I paid $89.99 for all her DVDs and I can watch them on line when I want. I didn't want to have to wait for the DVDs to be delivered - I want things NOW lol

Here's a sampler of one of her DVDs

Sacred Stone DVD Sampler

Thanks for that, very interesting. I'm doing a ITEC hot stone massage course later in the year, so I can't wait now!

What company do you recommend to train with for hot stone massage?
There are so many to choose from, could recommend who they think is good?
How long do the courses run for?

Thanks
Emma x

i know that guru holistic on here does training i had a look at her site earlier via the guild website and this course looks great . its also acreddited by the guild for insurance after you recieve your diploma . It was good value to at aroung £125 ! hth

Hi girls - thanks for your replies :)

Ok, I use around 60 stones for my treatments too. Also have stones for placement, toes ect.

Now.

I'm a bit miffed. -deep breath-

I had to go to a spa yesterday as my best friend had arranged her hen do there.

I paid extra & opted for their Ayurvedic spa day package as the other one the girls chose would have been like a busmans holiday for me lol (mini mani & pedi, mini facial).

To start with, I had serious grief booking my treatment - unhelpful, which I won't bore you with.

Now yesterday, at the spa. When my "therapist" took me to the treatment room, she gave me a brief outline of what to expect & steamed into the treatment without a consultation. Hmmm.
Ok.
My body brush to begin with was literally two light sweeps per area followed by a brief (& I mean brief) rub with a bit of body polish, after which I was told to shower.
At this point I didnt mind too much as I was booked in for a 1hr 45min treatment & I thought, all the more time to focus on the hot stone treatment. Woo hoo.

Back on the couch, she gave me a mini facial which was quite pleasant altho she obviously used her telepathic powers to determine my skin type & which products would be best suited.

Onto the hot stone massage.

Without any kind of discussion as to which aromatherapy oils would be used, the massage started.
At this point, as she didn't ask me anything, I thought it best to advise her of the spinal fusion I had & the metal work in my spine (from t2-l3, a fair bit!).

I got as far as "don't mind my scars, I just want to warn you about the spinal surgery I had..." then before I could finish she said in an airy manner "oh, ok" & just carried on regardless.

I just couldn't switch off. I was counting the strokes, counting the stones (which were heated in a rice cooker, not what I expected for a spa).
She did no stone placement, I had no stones for my toes. They were warm but not hot & in total she used 12. Yes 12. For my entire body! Not even a good size 12 :irked:

I'm not even going to rant about the "herbal lined body wrap".

As for it being ayurvedic? Not a whif of it anywhere. Bog standard oil blend. Both therapists I had werent even trained in any ayurvedic treatments! I asked!

I know as a therapist you are on the ball & cant help compare & hopefully learn new skills, but, seriously.

Was it worth £145? Hell no.

I couldn't complain to the spa as there were 10 girls in the group all seeming to have a great time & I didn't want to bring the atmosphere of the group down. I can't let it go tho. Things like this give the industry a bad image.
I trained with the product company they used & also worked in one of the best spas in the uk using the products so I do know what the treatment should have been.

I have a good mind to contact the product company direct as I think they would be interested to know what's happening.

Sorry for ranting. I'm just really annoyed :mad:

I just can not get my head around the 12 stone thing.

x

Maybe you should contact the spa and tell them politely that your treatment did not meet your expectations, although pleasant enough, because as you are a therapist yourself and have also worked in a spa you know what it should have been like. This should give them a kick up the backside and you would also be doing them a bit of a favour, as it will encourage them to raise their standards, especially in the current economic climate.

Also tell them that you had no consultation whatsoever. They must realise this is irresponsible and could be dangerous for some clients with certain medical conditions.

They should really offer you some sort of refund/vouchers . . . even though I doubt you would want to go back there. Perhaps they could send you flowers instead!

If I were you, I'd write a letter or email to the company explaining that the treatment did not meet your expectations and that when previously having a Hot stone treatment, roughly 60 stones were used instead of the 12 the therapist used during your treatment and ask them to explain why this was.

See what their reply would be to you. x

Hi all :)

I emailed the product company (Espa) & they are investigating. They are passing my email onto the Area Development Manager & National Sales Manager who will will take it up directly with the spa.

I'm not being a snitch but think a) Espa have a right to know & b) the "public" should not get fobbed off.

Lets see what happens next.....

x

I'm the same, I find it hard to complain when others have had a good time, so i would have emailed them with my complaint when I got home. I would have rang and asked for an email address to a specific spa manager.

But, you did the second thing I would have done if I hadn't got any response.

Tell us about the herbal lined wrap, go on, I love to hear about crappy treatments.

I know a spa I freelanced at, the hot stone treatment consisted of them using ylang ylang oil for a massage, and apparently they only used the stones as placements and didn't actually massage with them. I can't vouch for that, its only what I got told but a client, and from another therapist who's clients couldn't believe the difference in treatments.

they warmed their stones in a metal sieve which was placed in the large cabi in the room. The cabi's were like the size of a toy box.

Latest posts

Back