How much do you earn from beauty?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it's when there are high antibodies for your own thyroid hormones, so it's like hypothyroidism but your levels on a thyroid test come back within the normal range. They diagnose it by testing the level of antibodies. Affects a lot of people, crept up on me slowly so I didn't even realise until it was too late. I was waking up after 8 hours sleep feeling like I hadn't slept at all.

There you go, you probably have it too if they put you on thyroxine. It all gets lumped into the underactive thyroid category because the symptoms and the treatment are the same.

I am a self employed mobile beauty therapist but I'm making more of a loss than a profit.
I'm not getting a lot of clients to say the least, I'm kind of stuck on a standstill and all day every day trying to think of how to make more of a profit etc...
I work around my daughter so school hours and the odd latesif my partner is off work to watch my daughter.
I earned a total of £150 from June to December last year which with all my outgoings and extra training for new treatments I've made a loss... sometimes feels like a waste and think of getting a job working for someone else but then no one will take someone who has to work school hours only.

Didn't realise this thread was still on the go!! Interesting to hear from everyone, goes to show u can't make a quick buck in beauty as lots of people seem to think! Equally seems to be those who work hard get there in the end so us part timers working at break even or a loss will hopefully get there one day if we continue to work hard and be enthusiastic! X

I am a self employed mobile beauty therapist but I'm making more of a loss than a profit.
I'm not getting a lot of clients to say the least, I'm kind of stuck on a standstill and all day every day trying to think of how to make more of a profit etc...
I work around my daughter so school hours and the odd latesif my partner is off work to watch my daughter.
I earned a total of £150 from June to December last year which with all my outgoings and extra training for new treatments I've made a loss... sometimes feels like a waste and think of getting a job working for someone else but then no one will take someone who has to work school hours only.
What treatments do you do? And do you have the same clients or new people all the time?

What treatments do you do? And do you have the same clients or new people all the time?
I do all sorts.
Makeup
Individual lashes
Gel nails
Manicures
Pedicures
Waxing
Tinting
Spray tans

Some hair just the basic level 2 stuff.

Mostly friends or family members I get to be honest x

I do all sorts.
Makeup
Individual lashes
Gel nails
Manicures
Pedicures
Waxing
Tinting
Spray tans

Some hair just the basic level 2 stuff.

Mostly friends or family members I get to be honest x

How do you advertise?

How do you advertise?

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Word of mouth

Haven't had the funds to get leaflets made up yet. But thinking of getting some and posting them locally and getting something for inside my car to advertise too.

I think you have 3 realistic options here. First would be to drop the treatments that are unprofitable and concentrate on those that are, then do as much promotion as you can afford. Second is to keep the treatments but rent a room somewhere with a lot of lunchtime traffic. Third would be to take a break from beauty, start a job elsewhere (maybe do some treatments one day a week to keep your skills up) and then relaunch it once your little one is a bit older. You might be able to work shorter hours at a salon, you never know.

This thread scares me. I have the intention of opening a salon, very much want to work for myself but I truly don't want to spend all that money and not make any! Is making £50k net profit/salary from owning a salon utterly unrealistic?

This thread scares me. I have the intention of opening a salon, very much want to work for myself but I truly don't want to spend all that money and not make any! Is making £50k net profit/salary from owning a salon utterly unrealistic?
What timescale have you given yourself to achieve this? I'll be honest this thread is a bit rediculous now, don't let what the select few say bother you as you can see some people try a lot harder than others to succeed. Also there are many variables involved in all businesses no one can say yes or no to that figure only you can, look at the overheads realistically work out how much you need to turnover to get that plus 50k decide that by average customer spend and that's how many clients you need to achieve that wage :) good luck

Devide sorry not decide

Depends what kind of treatments your doing I guess and if you will be employing or renting out to self employed therapists. If you will be working all the hours under the sun too.

It's no unrealistic in anyway. It's like surf girl said, depends how long you give yourself to achieve this goal of £50k. I've will be in business 4yrs this year and my projections have me hitting over £50k as my own salary by the end of this year. Last year (2015) I cleared in my pocket around £40k. My first year I cleared about £7k in my pocket at the end of the year.

I work hard but nothing crazy and certainly not "all hours under the sun." My work week is about 34hrs, I only do one night. I advertise like crazy and last year it doubled my clientele. I should add that I'm the only Aesthetician in the spa and have a self employed massage therapist on commission (although she's not that busy :/)

I believe the biggest factors are location and treatments offered. Im certified in IPL treatment and they make up a good chunk of my business income. I am also the only spa in my small village, aside from a nss down the road from me.

Hard work, time and patience is the key. Don't get discouraged, open your salon and in time a good salary will come :)

Do you mean a turnover of £50,000 or a salary of £50,000?

Vic x

@squidgernetball She means money to spend for herself, sounds lovley dosent it 50k.... I would buy myself a Mercedes... :rolleyes: And I would call her talulah....

I don't wanna put anyone down.

But, you get out what you put in.

If you make the effort to find a good location, advertise, train etc. Then you can, after time and hard work, have infinite amounts of money.

I KNOW my location won't bring in the richest people in my area. And I know I won't bring in the trendiest clientele. So I know I'm not gonna be making big bucks. But I'm making bucks, have lovely clients and do what I love.

Lapixstrel, I see that you're in Bucks which is near me. Feel free to PM me if you want a few pointers :)

Sorry it does say net profit/salary. If you have that as profit you are paying a lot of tax, so by that time you'd probably be Ltd and paying yourself a basic salary with dividends which is what I do but my divis aren't that hight yet x

I don't wanna put anyone down.

But, you get out what you put in.

If you make the effort to find a good location, advertise, train etc. Then you can, after time and hard work, have infinite amounts of money.

I KNOW my location won't bring in the richest people in my area. And I know I won't bring in the trendiest clientele. So I know I'm not gonna be making big bucks. But I'm making bucks, have lovely clients and do what I love.
While I agree to a degree there are many whose business model is flawed or crap so however hard they work they'll never ever earn the big bucks. Therapists still seem to be under the impression that all they have to do is open a salon and the clients will come.

Like you I know I won't be retiring next year but there's never a day I wake up and hate going to work x

Latest posts

Back