how much should i pay to rent a room for spray tanning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janeawallace

Reaction score
How much would you think is fair to pay to rent a room to do spray tanning. Do you think it is a % or a set fee??

I charge £20 per spray tan

shame your not nearer to surrey, or maybe we could have sorted you out with a room.

Please can you move your shop to Kent :)

How much would you think is fair to pay to rent a room to do spray tanning. Do you think it is a % or a set fee??

I charge £20 per spray tan

It is quite a difficult one as you would need to realistically work out how many spray tan will be requested and done during the time you will be spending in the salon. If if is not a dedicated tanning salon then I wouldnt imagine that there would be enough spray tans requested to keep you busy full time.

Lets say for example you were charged the average beauty room rate of £100 per week (this can vary depending on the area) you would need to do at least 5 spray tans every week to cover your rent. Then your product costs and also the cost of what ever income you wanted to take from it too.

Do you think you would get enough spray tans every week to cover this? It would be down to the person renting the room out if they were happy if a percentage route was taken. If I was renting the room I would probably prefer to pay a % then if it was a quite week I wouldnt be losing out in paying more rent than taken in treatments, but if I was sub letting the room too you then I would want a set amount every week as I would still have rent to pay regardless of whether you were busy or not.

I would work it out like this -

no of treatments possible per day (maximum capacity) then estimate your expected no of treatments per day (I would average it out at 50% of your maximum capacity to cater for quiet periods) - turn that figure into pounds (ie 4 spray tans at £20 each =£80) then you have to subtract your costs.

Initial investment cost divided by number of trading days per year = your daily investment cost

then minus your daily product costs per day running at 50% capacity
then minus any other costs - turn into a daily figure

This will very roughly give you a projected daily cash flow and will let you know how much money you have left to pay yourself and your rent. The decision about how much profit/salary you want to take will now work out how much money you have available for rent. Hope this hasnt clouded things for you:eek:

lol will have to get my head around that one jax :)

What other treatments does the salon you are thinking about renting in provide.....personally, I wouldn't have rented space myself solely for spray tanning, unless I have a stream of regulars or 'feeder' clients from the salon I was renting from.....I used to rent space for nails and sprays.

It's a tough one to do on it's own I would think.

Spray tans alone wouldn't support anyone renting a room in my area I don't think.

yeah i am thinking maybe i need to offer all my services :rolleyes:

I think spray tans alone would do the job if the salon offer nails and hair etc. As the people who go for nails done they would want there tan done...I know i would lol x

Just to give you some real figures based on our salon, we are a fairly busy salon for the nails, beauty and sunbeds but I think spray tans are reletivly slow:

Normal weeks... average for us is about 7 spray tans a week
12 in a week is good
3 in a week is bad

Xmas time...
22 a week is good
8 a week is bad

We do nails/beauty/UV and spray tanning but no hair.
With hair I would expect the spray tans to go up a bit.

I know we get more people than the bigger salon my GF used to work at though but I don't know how this compares to others.
Would be intresting if some other salon geeks could post up the qty of people a week they get too.

It makes sense to utilise as much of the time and space as you can and offer your other services as you said IMHO. Don't forget to factor in marketing costs to raise awarnes you are there.

Hi there just a bit of advise which I think could really benifit you. I used to rent a beauty room in a hairdressers. They did hair and tanning , I did beauty. The only days
that they had any tans booked in were on a thu/fri (everyone getting ready for the weekend) Mabee about 5 - 12 tans a per day! (sometimes more)

Why not arange 2 days to begin with at 25% going to landlord

Great if you are renting thu/fri, But seriously dont waste your money renting more than 2 days a week! You would struggle mon/tue/wed!

Last edited:
Hi Kathryn

thats good advice

thx

Latest posts

Back