How much to charge for Sunbed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KELKEL

Reaction score
Hi All

We are looking at adding a sunbed into our salon..

How much would you pay/charge for use of a sunbed?

What type of sunbed?

How many tubes, and what wattage are they?

Hi kelkel, I don't use the sunbeds but my husband does... Heres what he pays - 60 minute course for a stand up bed is £12 the tubes are red hot too not sure on the watt I've used them once & I could barely breathe it was that hot!
Obviously prices vary from place to place but just wanted to give you a rough idea! I do happen to think £12 is too cheap though x

See what others in the area are charging, as you don't want to over or under price too much x

£12 for a 60 minute plan is ridiculously cheap.

When comparing what others are charging for plans, and per 3 minutes, you need to compare like with like.

Obviously 3 minutes on a bed with 150 watt tubes is going to be cheaper than a bed with 250 watt tubes. And of course what type of bed will establish how many tubes.

Our stand up beds for instance have 48 x 250 watt.

My usual place charges me £40 for 60minuets for 90p

No idea what wattage tho.....I'd love to know more about sunbeds!

£12 for 60 minutes:eek:

That would be 20p per minute the average per minute I would say is between 50p and £1 per minute again as others have mentioned depending on the tubes.

Although I have read soon the max you can have on the tubes will be 200w

Thanks guys... im learning more each hour... I think the average is about 60p a min in our area...

Its all about researching now keeping ahead of the competitors :)

i have 2 old but very reliable ergoline 28" tubed beds. There 100watt prices are 9 mins £3.35, 10mins £3.75, 12mins £4.46, 15mins £5.60 and maximum is 20mins £7.45 and correct laws are changeing that there going to lower the wattage an the maximum you will be able to get are 200watts.

Further to the above couple of comments regarding wattage regulation of sunbeds.

The Sunbed Association wanted the government to include in the Sunbeds (Regulation) Bill that there should be a maximum UV output level adopted which is in use in the majority of the EU. This does not relate to individual tube wattage, but over all UV output of a sunbed.

The government chose not to include this in the bill, along with still allowing under 18's to home hire a sunbed, and also continue to use un manned sunbed salons.

The Sunbed Bill passed does no more than ban under 18s from using sunbeds in commercial tanning salons. It does not prohibit under 18s from purchasing or hiring sunbeds for home use and does not outlaw unstaffed tanning salons where under 18s can use them. These latter two issues are subject to further regulation which may never happen. Inevitably, under 18s who used to use tanning salons will now home hire or walk into an unstaffed salon where the abuse of sunbeds is more likely to occur.

We only allow sensible use of our sunbeds, in line with TSA guidelines, and the maximum anyone can use our beds is 9 minutes, and obviously this is following consultation on their first visit.

Wow £12 thats cheap!

The place i used to work had 180watt lamps on the lie down and 240 on the stand up and charged €1 per minute which is about 85p per minute. 100 minutes was €70 (£58.60) and 50 minutes was €40 (£33.50)
The beds cost about 45p a minute to run on electricity cost so with over heads etc I think about 80p to £1 is the way to go. but that does depend on the bed you get though

Some local salon (dosen't re-tube often) charges £1 for 3mins 200w

Another £1 for 2mins on 180w

Where I work they have a selection...

160w 48 tube stand up £1 per 2mins
180w 60 tube stand up £1 per 1min 20 second
200w 120 tube (inc face and leg tanners 25w) £1 per min.

Courses 25% off... Xx

My usual place charges me £40 for 60minuets for 90p

No idea what wattage tho.....I'd love to know more about sunbeds!

£40 for 60 mins :o

My areas charge £20 for 60mins!! This seems to be the " norm" for my area x

I have mine on profit share 50/50 so it's no cheaper to buy a course.

£2 for 3 mins
£4 for 6 mins
£6 for 9 mins
£8 for 12 mins
£10 for 15 mins
£20 for 30 mins

I have two tanning salons and we have the aurora stand ups which are 250watt x 60 tubes and we charge -
£3.00 3 mins
£5.00 6mins
£6.50 9 mins
£7.50 12 mins
8.00 15 mins

£15.00 30 mins
£20.00 45 mins
£25.00 60 mins
£30.00 90 mins
£35.00 120 mins
£40.00 150 mins

We are known for being quite cheap in the area but getting 60 minutes for £12.00 is Farr to cheap if you ask me. Hope you find this helpful ! :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back