How to charge for...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LisaV.

Reaction score
Ok, it's me again. I was just curious as to how you charge for excessively long nails. I had a new client come in and ask for "medium" nails (my pricelist states that "long nails are extra"). After I applied all of the tips and cut the 1st one to the agreed length (barely any off) she started to question me about what constitutes "long" nails? I said "anything beyond half of the applied tip. She then said that If I was going to charge her extra then she didn't want me to cut them at all! I had to remove the tip that I cut and replace it! UGH! I then proceded to apply the l&p. I am very inexperienced in nails that long and felt very uncomfortable with doing them, plus it took double the amount of time. I charged her a little extra, but this was my first time doing nails like this, I know that I didn't charge near enough for the work I did. I wanted to tell her not to tell her friends where she got them done and for what price, cause I didn't want any more of that! I refrained, but felt horrible about the service when she left. How much extra, if any do you charge for excessively long nails?
Sorry so long :sad:
Thanks!
LisaV.

Hi florida gal! *hug*
I have never charged by length, but I do know some places that do. I think short would be a standard price. Medium wouldbe maybe $5 more, and long maybe 10$ more. Like I said, I've never charged this way, and I think you should get some practice on long nails just in case you get more clients that want it.
I personally don't like the idea of charging by length because I think it's one more thing to have on your menu, and have to explain to clients. Always try to do a consultation before the service so you are prepared for what the client wants, and they'll know what to expect as far as a price.
Get to practicing on some long tips!! Good Luck.

Hey Diya, *hugs back to ya!*
Thanks for the reply. This lady was a walk-in that usually frequents the NSS salons, she wouldn't have a consultation, she just wanted talons! And due to our hurricane situations, she couldn't get to the next town over. I don't want to "charge extra" for long nails, but in my area it seems to weed out the clients who are "full set / every 2-3 month fills, not regular loyal clients", these are women looking for MMA nails in 30 mins. I have that on my menu for extreme situations, like this one. (don't get alot of those)
I don't discriminate, but I am also trying to build a solid clientele and this gal just wanted a quick set of nails, cheap!
I also haven't come across anyone yet that could keep a really long set of nails very well.
I have one lady that insists on her LONG nails, she was refered to me by another tech who couldn't accomidate her schedule anymore. Her nails are way too long for her lifestyle, and she always is a mess, but I know that she is very loyal (four years every 2 weeks with her last tech) and she knows, but doesn't care, that they will break. Shows up every time happy, and sits for as long as it takes. She just apologizes for breaking them. I guess my question is, how do you charge a loyal clientelle that appriciates a consultation and your professional advice? Should I charge extra for my regulars that insist on LONG nails and don't care about breakage and problems? Because it takes me soooo much longer? What should I charge to new clients (that I assume will not take heed to my prof advice, and I'm pretty sure that I will never see again?) I don't think I'm even charging enough to break even! :mad: those DA*# NSS salons!
I just hope I got my point across...I'm not even sure that I know what I'm talking about now. :confused:
Smooches!
LisaV.

I do have a clinet who has natuarlly long nails and always has overlays onthem with nail art. The way i look at it is you need to have a standard price for a set of nails regardless of how long they have them. Then when you do infills or rebalance, you charge for the length of time that they have left between appointments. So charge XX amount for 2 weeks, more for 3 weeks etc.

Plus i would always charge extra for all breaks and extra work that costs you in time. I hope that this makes sense. To be very honest i wouldn't even try to compete with NSS prices, you won't win. Just advertise the fact that you do good quality nails that enhance someones hands without putting the health of their nails at risk. At the end of the day i wouldn't want a client who expects a good set in 40 minutes, at a cheap price. Not worth the hassle.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I guess I just need to build up my confidence in my abilities and a little backbone. All of the responses to my recent posts have been excellent! I really appreciate everyones knowledge, and advice.
You all are a really big help!
:biggrin:
THANK YOU!

I can relate to how you feel about wanting to boost your confindence. The thing that helped me with that was to take as many classes as I could. Any classes in my area, regardless of how much it costs, I go!! Learning from different teachers, and other techs is really nourishing. And make sure you are practicing too, even if you are doing nails in the salon, try to practice new products and techniques on friends and family when you can. It's the only way to get better. *hugs*

Latest posts

Back