How to choose a dummy head?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miyuki99

Reaction score
I want to get a dummy head so that I can practise on hair styling. Looking on the Internet & Ebay, some are cheap but some are expensive. I wonder what's the difference between those? What are the things that I need to beware of when I buy one?

Is dummy head reusable? If so, how to I maintain it? Do I wash & shampoo them as if it's real human's hair?

Could someone help please?

Salons direct have some good ones on show and in the catalouge , :hug:
just use a conditioner for cleansing and not shampoo
this will help keep the silicone coating on the hair intact and keep it more managable,
they are real hair but they are coated with silicone as they have had processing chemicals on them ect ,
it is not unusual to find a nit egg or two on them as they are made from hair
from poorer countrys ,
but dont worry the eggs are not alive after the cleansing process :hug:

the cheaper ones are not human hair, so no cut for cutting or colouring as will blunt your scissors. Quite good for practising hair up although very silky. the real human hair ones can be treated as your own hair, and as sai have often found a nit egg!! once cut they are not reusable.

I too was going to recommend Salons Direct

Check out their website and you can also request a catalogue

Hi there

I would highly recommend using model heads with real hair. Yes they are more expensive but I think its a worthy investment for your progression during training.

If you plan your practise time carefully you can try about four or five different cutsd/looks from one model head starting with a few hair up looks, then onto long cuts, then to medium length looks, and finishing with shorter styles. This way you get more for your money and still get the benefits from practising on real hair.

You will also acheive much better colour results using real haiur as fake hair can react with colour products not showing a true result of what can be achieved with certain techniques.

Good luck!

MHD x x x

Latest posts

Back