how to deal with new customer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathy w

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a new client who had a full set of nails (l&P)put on a week ago and when I applied them she wanted them long against my advice anyway I did them how she wanted them (the client is always right)so they say!And I guaranteed the full set for 7 days providing it was a fault in the work or product that is at fault (how do you prove that).She rang me on day 4 to tell me that she only has 3 nails left and wants them replaced.Fine I did guarantee them but then I was speaking to a friend of hers and she tells me that the client didnt like them and just felt like ripping them off as they were too long and got in her way.What I want to know is should I replace them or give her her money back.

thanks
Kathy

As many have said many times before me and by better technicians with more expeirence.....

I dont gurantee my work outside of the salon - the nails become their responsbility..which they sign for on my record card...plus I am sorry hun but in the case the client is not always right...its a nice setiment but I wont ever do the nails longer than I beleive is sutiable for their own nail plate...

Tell her tought tity she wouldnt listen to your advise in the first place if she wants new ones it will cost her...stand strong...you will

This possibly won't help with your current situation, but in future I'd do two things that I was advised by my trainer:
1 - if the client wants something against your advice, including excess length, they ought to sign a disclaimer saying you have proceeded with the treatment against your advice and any faults relating to this you are excused of any blame for.
2 - I wouldn't offer a guarantee (sp??). Obviously initially it will make customers think you may be a better tech but I would think that it is too hard to put a guarantee on a product that can be affected by so many different factors. It also leaves you open to situations where you may get clients taking advantage of you. It can be very hard to prove something is THEIR fault, and even if you know it is, you will always get people who will argue with you.
In this case you might have to play it by ear - tell the client that it's likely her extra length would have caused these problems and that this time you will replace or repair them, probably not for free but for a reduced rate (it might depend how much you want this client back!) and say that from now on you cannot guarantee sets if they are produced against your advice. Maybe now she will be a better client as she's learned the hard way that the way she wanted was wrong. Good luck!
Lol x

hiya
there have been so many threads along these lines - providing you prepped thoroughly and applied the product correctly, nails do NOT just fall off!
A good way of sussing the situation, and a tip given by Ruth of Nails in London, is to apply Scubfresh (nail sanitiser and dehydrator) and if there are white marks on the nail bed, these indicate trauma...ie., she's picked and pulled or knocked them (unlikely to knock 7 in one go though). if the nail plate is totally smooth and shiny then maybe the prep wasn't adequate enough.
It is highly unlikely that 7 nails just fell off. I would tell her to bring the nails with her for analysis (always worries then and they usually confess at this point), proceed with the scrubfresh and tell her what the white trauma marks are. Also explain to her, that despite you recommending them much shorter, she went against your professional advise and therefore you aren't liable. I wouldn't give her a full refund or a full set for free - if you feel more comfortable offering her a discounted rate, then do, but if you do this, stress that you are not doing so because of poor workmanship, purely as a goodwill gesture.
But most importantly, do NOT let a client who is trying on like this to knock your confidence.

It is not possible to guarantee a full set against breakage (breakage is out of the realm of the nail technician to control) ... even I would not do that.

I do guarantee against lifting for 2 weeks and they have to come in a and show me if they think they have it, I do not take their word.

If I had done nails for the client and against my recommendation, then I wouldn't guarantee anything at all.

Certainly no refund.

Latest posts

Back