How to determine what % tan to use on client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lush-Lash

Reaction score
hello, I'm still unsure how I decide what to spray them in, Ive just sampled nouvatan & to begin with i will be stocking 8%, 10%, 12%
for example -

what would I use on a pale client - just 8% or 10% too? or would 10 be too dark for a pale person?

what would I use on a medium skin toned client - 10% & 12% or would 12 be too dark?

what would I use on a dark client - I'm guessing 12% onwards?

what about if a pale skin/medium skin client wanted to be dark? would I spray them dark or would I not?

I know it depends on how well they tan in the sun etc.. but I did my brother a tan using 10% Suntana (he usually tans fairly well in the sun, he has a medium skin tone but still had an orange tinge to his skin :eek: he didn't leave his house for a week lol I don't want to dha overload any clients, can any one help pls :) x

It really depends on what look your client wants...I always try to stay within a few shades of their natural colour to 1) look more natural and 2) for better fade off.
The age of your clients can also make a big difference my middle to older clients are 8 mainly 10 the odd 12....my younger clients are mainly 14 some 12.

They won't be satisfied unless they get the look they want but remember your reputation is the most important you dont want a load of oompa loompas going round telling everyone you do their tan LOL! :D xx

Hi I did my training with Nouvatan and was advised a guideline of:

8% For pale skin/doesn't tan well in sun (ie goes red not brown)

10% for light/medium skin, would be ok on pale skin tones

12% for medium/dark skin, shouldn't be used on pale skin

14/16% for dark skin

Don't know if that helps or not, obviously it's just a guideline. I think the main thing to worry about is not giving someone with really pale skin a really high %age. X

Your supplier would be the best to ask. However as a rule of thumb and what we suggest with Unreal tanning solution is

6% for pale red heads, freckles blue eyes only ever burns in sun
8% for medium skin tone, someone who burns a little but goes a little brown
10% for those who tan in sun with no burning
12% for those who tan easily and are olive skin tone
16% for total die hard can't get dark enough types

As this is Winter I would recommend that if your client normally has a 10% in the summer she comes down to an 8% so she differentiates her winter colour from her summer colour.

Just a thought!
Liz

Don't be too afraid to ask for feedback if they want to go lighter or darker next time, you can't go too wrong if you have a decent solution and obviously don't put 8% on an olive skin or 16 on a pale skin, just use your own judgement, Ive had a couple recently who had a base tan and I knew 12 wouldn't show up so went for 16 but also had a red head who would have looked a bit much with anything more than 10. But I always say if you want to go a bit darker/lighter next time we can.

Latest posts

Back