How to extend the nail bed for sculpting.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maguire

Reaction score
I need a little more info on making a nail bed for really badly bitten nails, these nails are so bad that they are bitten to the moon, also quite bulous at the ends of her fingers,

I found the thread on making a nail directly onto the nail bed, but...

1) How thick do you do this, do you do a thin layer let it dry then sculpt as normal.

2) Using oil on the tips of the finger is to prevent the l&p sticking in that areabut would it not seep onto the nailbed before the product has dried then lift very quickly.

3) Would the newly formed nail not lift completly in a short space of time

She has had sculpts before but to me they looked quite thick and a bit false looking, would this be natural on such badly bitten nails. I would like to try just to see if I could do it and for them to look good plus the experience of this type of nail, she is a work collegue of mine so if I make an ash of it it wouldn't be to much of a big deal.

If you go and have a look in the tutorials peter pan has done one for this,
if that still doesnt answer your Q`s pm peter pan and ask her she is a lovely helpful person and I'm sure she wont mind at all

could anyone give the link for this tutorial as ive tried searching for it but cant find it
thanks
x

could anyone give the link for this tutorial as ive tried searching for it but cant find it
thanks
x
It in 'miscellaneous tutorials' and called 'building free edges without forms'

I don't want to burst your bubble, but I wouldn't sculpt a nail that is really badly bitten nor would I extend the nail bed to use as a foundation for sculpting.

I would use a tip and do a custom blended enhancement.

Using a tip is so much easier on a client like this!!! it gives you instant order. then all you have to do is use your opaque powders to make the nail look long and sleek. I believe in making life simple, hun, and custom blending is so simple and gives such a magnificent result I just wouldn't bother to sculpt it and spend all that time and energy on a nail biter who will then within 6 weeks, destroy what you have done.

I'm sorry if this is not the answer you want to hear. But the results are so worth it and so easy. Good luck.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but I wouldn't sculpt a nail that is really badly bitten nor would I extend the nail bed to use as a foundation for sculpting.

I would use a tip and do a custom blended enhancement.

Using a tip is so much easier on a client like this!!! it gives you instant order. then all you have to do is use your opaque powders to make the nail look long and sleek. I believe in making life simple, hun, and custom blending is so simple and gives such a magnificent result I just wouldn't bother to sculpt it and spend all that time and energy on a nail biter who will then within 6 weeks, destroy what you have done.

I'm sorry if this is not the answer you want to hear. But the results are so worth it and so easy. Good luck.
thanks, the only reason I was thinking of sculpts was because there isn't enough nail to glue a tip on, this nail biter is that bad, there is a tiny tiny little bit of nail where the moon should be, if I put a tip on it I would be gluing right on the nailbed only, and surley this would ping off in a matter of hours. I just thought it might have given me nailbiter experience but I think this is going to be a bit to much.

thanks, the only reason I was thinking of sculpts was because there isn't enough nail to glue a tip on, this nail biter is that bad, there is a tiny tiny little bit of nail where the moon should be, if I put a tip on it I would be gluing right on the nailbed only, and surley this would ping off in a matter of hours. I just thought it might have given me nailbiter experience but I think this is going to be a bit to much.

If they are that bad, any result is going to fall short of how you would like to see it. she is also going to trash your hard work.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear!!! Some are beyond help.

Maybe a course of regular manicures until she has some foundation to work on? LET HER PROVE HOW MUCH SHE REALLY WANTS THIS.

I think I will give up on her as she has had extensions before that haven't lasted (not by me) I don't think she will ever stop biting she is 60yrs old.

I use to be a nailbiter and almost as bad as my friend but ten yrs ago I decided I wanted long nice nails and stopped, it took about a year and a half to get them looking good and about a year after to get them really good, now I only have one nail that splits down the centre but if I am carefull I can get it past that.

Thanks for the advice though.

I think I will give up on her as she has had extensions before that haven't lasted (not by me) I don't think she will ever stop biting she is 60yrs old.

I use to be a nailbiter and almost as bad as my friend but ten yrs ago I decided I wanted long nice nails and stopped, it took about a year and a half to get them looking good and about a year after to get them really good, now I only have one nail that splits down the centre but if I am carefull I can get it past that.

Thanks for the advice though.

You can't 'save' everyone love. If shes 60 then my guess is that she will never get over the habit. No wonder they are in a state. If she has nhardly any nail plate, then neither a tip or a sculpted nail will last. Every nail enhancement needs a firm foundation. the better it is, the better the result.

I had a extreme nail biter like yours,maguire,not so long ago. The nails were gnawed off to the lunula..the nail beds were so used to her cannibilism that they were calloused slightly without any evident trauma. This client did my head in..i would apply tips and custom blend every freaking fortnight but most would be off the next time..any that were left were prone to bacterial infections (due to her being a kitchen hand) I was tempted to sculpt but didnt want to risk applying product to her skin (which is a no no BTW) and i had esp that she could be a sue happy client..didnt want to risk any hint of reaction with this one.
I stressed to her that i would help her cure the habit..but she also had to help herself also..ie reg appointments, solar oil and if any came off before hand i wanted her to call me and i needed to see a free edge evident..the persistent bacterial infections and her refusal to take me seriously eventually did my head in and i became fully booked
icon_wink.gif
Never again!!

Latest posts

Back