How to get a CRB check

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Rose

Reaction score
I tnink that a few of you other geeks out there do children's pamper parties. For those of you that do & are CRB checked, how did you go about this? I've looked on the CRB website but it's all gobbledeegook to me. I would appreciate some guidance. :)

hi Sarah,
you apply for a form, fill it in, send it back with a cheque and wait for a certificate to come through.
the form is very easy to fill in and comes with a booklet explaining how to fill it in, so will take 15 minutes to do.

don't know how much it costs cos its always been paid for me. so don't try and read the gobbledook, just get the forms.

Hi

My husband is a martial arts instructor and has to be CRB checked. You have to be an approved body to apply for one yourself, and so in your case you would have to go via an "umbrella" agency who can apply for one on your behalf. A good one is Capita, look them up under Google. There are 2 types of disclosure you can get, standard and enhanced, its an enhanced disclosure you need for working with vulnerable groups and kids. I think his last one cost about £150, they invoice you afterwards, and they last 3 years.

Hope this helps, if you want to pm me if you have any other questions you are welcome.

Do you really need to have the CRB cert for doing pamper parties if parents are present? Are you doing them in your own home, salon or their home?

Personally I think this is pc gone wrong.....if all the parents are happy that you will be doing a pamper party in the home of the birthday princess, why should a CRB check be required? Is it really a legal requirement?

Sometimes I think this country has gone mad.

I agree it might sound over the top, but personally I would prefer over the top precautions to the alternatives you hear about.

I agree it might sound over the top, but personally I would prefer over the top precautions to the alternatives you hear about.
Well, for £150 for the cert, I just wouldn't bother unless that was my mainstay of business.

I used to be on the committe of the pre-school and I had my CRB certificate, OFSTED pay for that.....but that wouldn't cover me for anything other than pre-school dealings....if I wanted to be on the committee after school club as well, they would have to reapply for the same information, OFSTED again......and if I wanted one for princess parties....another check for the exact same information, for which I would have to pay.....madness...

Thanks for all the replies so far :)

I personally agree that it's PC gone mad and I think it's just another way for the government to get yet even more of our hard earned cash out of us.

I used to do IPL treatments so have actually already been CRB checked (now expired) although this was through the Healthcare Commission.

I know it's not a legal requirement to have a CRB but do parents prefer to use someone who is?

I don't expect Princess Pamper Parties to be a major part of business as the salon is already busy, although myself & a friend do have 1 or 2 other ideas not indirectly linked with beauty that we would like to persue. It's still dealing with children but again parents would be present. More investigating me thinks....

I do pamper parties

I got a CRB check by working for a local authority doing some pampering

It's not that easy to get esp. if you are self employed

The first port of call is your local council, but I found I couldn't get one unless I had someone (i.e. employer) apply for it for me. Very hard if you are self employed!

Most parents are present at parties tbh

If this is the case I think you don't need one

Anyway hope this helps xxx

Hi Sarah

I am a children's social worker. You do not need a CRB check unless you will be working alone with children. My understanding with pamper parties is there are parents or carers around.

If you need any further advice, ring social services & ask to speak to the duty social worker for children & young people. He/she will point you in the right direction.

Gill

like someone has already said unless you are going to be doing lots of these every week......i dont think that it would make much sense to do this....speak to your citizens advise and see what thay say......
My MIL was part of an organisation that had a few youngsters in it and they were told they all had to be checked as they met every week. Most were fine about it.....but one elderly man refused point blank to have it done as he didnt agree with it...he had been a member for about 40yrs and didnt feel that he should have to have it done. So as far as im concerned if someone wants to check you out then let them......it only looks bad if you refuse.
Personally as a mother of 2 young children who have been to a few parties....and had one....i didnt even think about it. Most people have these things based on recommendations dont they?
Like i said though speak to your CAB and see what they say.......and let us know what you find out.:hug:

Do you really need to have the CRB cert for doing pamper parties if parents are present? Are you doing them in your own home, salon or their home?

Personally I think this is pc gone wrong.....if all the parents are happy that you will be doing a pamper party in the home of the birthday princess, why should a CRB check be required? Is it really a legal requirement?

Sometimes I think this country has gone mad.
Cathie, I agree with you 100%

I have a current CRB check with the school I work with - they paid for it BUT it does not cover me when going into another school -for example if I want to do some voluntary help!

Therefore, Cathie could well be correct in saying you may not be required to have one - you will always be working with different groups of children!

The other thing is when I started at the school, and the CRB was being processed, I went in as a visitor for several times to help with the christmas parties and such - but the school had to make it known to the authorities that I was a visitor and I could not be left alone with the children AND not even with my two littleuns :eek:

Hope you get it sorted - I will be interested with the results you get :hug::hug:

Latest posts

Back