How to get back in a salon after a long break

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiggs81

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Not sure if I am posting on the right thread... and sorry for the long rambling post, will try to sum it up as quickly as I can
I haven't worked in the beauty industry for 7 years. Recently really started to miss it and feel passionate about it again. I worked in a salon day in day out for 7 years so haven't forgot much that I was trained in, i.e can still wax, manicuare, caci and massage etc with my eyes closed, but things like gels and shellac, spray tans and sp lashes are lost on me! I have recently trained with nouvatan and am really enjoying doing a few clients here and there around my office job. I also work in a pub on a saturday to help pay the bills!

My question is, if I wanted to get a job, say, just for a Saturday in a salon, how would you go about this? I am too scared to just leave my office job and then start job hunting in an industry I haven't been in for years. At 32 can I compete with other therapists who have been working with all of these systems more recently, or young therapist fresh from college when I am going to need training again? I would consider working on a volunrary basis at first to get my foot in the door. I am finding my office job stressful and mundane!

I think that if you have all your basic skills, and you have kept them going a bit, you have nothing to worry about. I would write something to some local salons - you may find that a lot are happier having a more mature therapist anyway, and make it mega professional looking. Things like Shellac can often be picked up as you're around them, and you can go on to do the training which is very reasonable - sorry, did mine so long ago, I have no idea, but I know geeks on here say it is!!! Keep practising, and start to sell yourself to some salons. Good luck!

Thanks Squidgernetball! I wasn't sure if writing would be better, or maybe actually visiting the salon would be beneficial for a 'chat' but it is difficult to find the right time to do this. Thanks for your help

Yes of course. Waxing, massages, pedicures etc are still very popular. When you apply for a job just make it clear you been practicing on friends and family in this 7 years.
Shellac and spray tan is so easy to pick up and eyelash extension is not so popular anymore.
Good luck. x

Tiggs81
Have sent you a PM

Latest posts

Back