How to make the most of your creation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becki x

Reaction score
When taking a picture of your work,how do you make the most of it ?

What's the best position to place the hands in and the best colour back drop to show your work clearly.

I ask this for critique purposes mainly,as i see pics asking for critique wich are not very clear or positioned well.

I am also interested so i can build my self a little photo journal as my work improves,mainly so that if i ever become frustrated i can look through and see the improvements in my work.

Any advice is appreciated,thanks x

First thing is to keep the hands in an elegant position with the fingers slightly curved (perhaps holding an object of some description).

There is nothing worse than a picture of a hand splayed out on top of a table or towel ... hands are not pretty like that ... most look like a bunch of bananas to me when in that position. :lol:

Pmsl,you mean like the one i put in the gallery :lol: ? Yeah a minging old tea towel isn't the best look.

That's exactly why i asked.:green:

Is there a specific colour to make them stand out,or is it anything that compliments the clients skin tone ?

Is there a specific colour to make them stand out,or is it anything that compliments the clients skin tone ?
If it's critique that asked for then I think having a black background would work better.

Having said that... not many peeps actually take 'critique' photos when they're wanting their nails critiqued.

You need an above shot, a side shot and a down the barrel shot to have your nails critiqued properly, it's the only way to get a view of the 'whole' nail as it shows not only the shape and the finished form but also the thickness of the enhancements.

One of my pet hates is two hands, fingers splayed, spread out on the kitchen table! I know we're not all David Baileys but........it makes sense that if you want people to see your work, then photograph your work, not 95% hand, 5% nail! You don't even have to include all ten. One picture for arty stuff is enough, for critique, top barrel & side. A plain background is nicer than half the garden. And it needs to be clear, preferably not taken with the mobile phone.I know not everyone has digital cameras.
I know nothing about photography so I'm probably not qualified to comment!:lol:
I look forward to the replies from our more artistic geeks that have experience with photo shoots.
Jane

Don't let them be too oily!! :Scared:

I cant stand a photo of nails that looks like someone has just eaten a huge bag of oily hot chips, its gross.

When I see this, I dont even look at the nails themselves, just the oiliness!

Don't let them be too oily!! :Scared:

I cant stand a photo of nails that looks like someone has just eaten a huge bag of oily hot chips, its gross.

When I see this, I dont even look at the nails themselves, just the oiliness!

Good point,it actually makes me think they are trying to hide a multitude of sins ! :hug:

I like to use a contrasting colour for the backdrop, that way the nails show up against it clearly. Black is usually a safe bet (unless youre showing off black nails, obviously).

Good light is a must, bright daylight being best but, not in direct sunlight.
Electric light (Tungsten) usually gives an orange caste to the picture and can really spoil the colours. So if using electric light, its best to use your flash, if your flash is too strong (like mine) try putting a piece of flimsy white fabric over it to diffuse it.
Its best to test out what works with your camera before you actually try to photograph your pride & joy.

As to the oil dilema ... for critique purposes ... yes I think drenching them in oil hides a multitude of sins but, for a portfolio nothing draws the eye more than dried, rough & flaky skin and in this instance Id rather see them drenched in oil any day.

Dry and flaky is ucky, but I agree with Lovenails1 though, all that oil makes the skin look like lizard skin and does nothing for the look of the enhancements. I think there is a happy medium as with all things.

I oil and moisturise the hands well and then I towel off the excess before I take a shot.

Latest posts

Back