How to shorten stiletto tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixnmatch1

Reaction score
I have had a request for stilletto nails with red gel polish on top,i have not done any stilletto nails yet and was going to purchase Pro impressions stiletto tips to use because i dont really sculpt.
Sorry if its a silly question but how do i trim stiletto tips? Do i just file them shorter?
Thanks for your help :)

Just like any other tip. Clip to just a little longer than the desired length then file into the correct shape.

It's not difficult, don't worry you will be fine :)

i see your point hun (no pun intended) as i have thought this myself, wouldnt you loose the shape which is the whole point (lol again) in using stilletto tips? may as well use normal? or are the stiletto tips already very curved inwards from the under well?? if ya get me. Sounds like a lot of filing if you ask me. Which may be why most people sculpt them :s hmmm....

What about trimming/filing them from the well end? Like how you'd customise the well normally...would that work?

Do stiletto tips work then?

I personally think the idea of the stiletto tip is not to shorten them. If you look at any stiletto nails they all tend to be quite long. They need to be quite long to get that really pointed look. If you try to do it on shorter length it doesn't look the same. 😊

What about trimming/filing them from the well end? Like how you'd customise the well normally...would that work?

like pixieBeayty said : If you are not confident in keeping the shape filing from the free edge , then pre tailer from the contact area ,

just rember as stilettos are tapered the tips will size up smaller the more you shorten them .

Exactly what I was thinking, glad I wasn't the only one then

The lady who has asked for them has small natural nails so the long tip would not be right for her,i think i will trim and file back to shape :)

Cut any tip just a tiny bit longer than the length she wants. Mark the center of the free edge with a pencil, striper, pen, anything. Use clippers and cut from the side of her free edge to the mark you made. There is your basic shape. Now you can file to get it exact, or lay your gel or acrylic and file afterwards.
I don't wear the true stiletto shape. I can't handle the length, but I do love my pointed nails!
Find me on fb if you would like a visual. :)

Sorry to be controversial, but its not going to give a good result.

There isnt a way to retain the correct structure of stiletto tips if you clip them and file the sides to adjust.
Part of the shape of a proper stiletto nail is the rolled in sides.
They are not simply a flat triangular pointed tip.

When you shorten the tips and file back to a point, you loose the sides that have been curved under resulting in incorrect structure of the finished nail.

Not only does the rolled under side give a more atractive look to the finished nail but it adds vital strength to it too.

If you want to produce decent, correctly structured, strong stiletto nails, sculpting is vital. And its really not that hard to do. Im sure you could manage it with a little practice. Giveit a go, you will suprise yourself.

Thanks for your replies ladies,i am doing the said nails tonight and will let you know how i get on :)

I used the stiletto tips ofr the first time and i was worried about loosing the shape, but she wanted them way shorter, so i just went for it and when i was filing it just ended up like a standard tp shape! although a very slender one, it was hard filing the shape back in, sint an easy job like a nor BUT i found it so much easier than sculpting...i have tried sculpting and trained in it recently and that is an art i will take years to master, well to even produce a decent set, but for now the tips will do and it took 1 1/2 hours complete and takes me 2 hours for a sculpted set here is a picture......i can see imperfections and the shape needs to be better but that was my first set.

How did you get on with yours??? how did you find filing?? x

erm...how do i attach a pic?

ah there.....

Attachments

• sg.jpg
    sg.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,131
hi,
I actually trimmed them from the well to make them shorter and after the acrylic had set i shortened the tip a little from the free edge and filed back into shape.
It was a little more filing than usual and a little hard to get a perfect shape but they looked ok (always critical of my work) and she was happy with them,so alls good.
I am going to try and practise sculpting again but i didnt enjoy sculpting when i was training but going to give it a try :)

Latest posts

Back