How to speed up with shaping the natural nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole333

Reaction score
It seems that this is the stage that is taking the longest for me. I admit to being a perfectionist, but I am never happy with my shaping of the natural nail and get almost obsessive over it. Don't get me wrong, I actually do see where the shaping needs adjusting, but I would like to get one right in one go and move onto the next, without the need to go back to it.

I have read the helpful tutorial and use the theories of symmetry etc, I have the books that give the tips. However, one never looks the same as the other before it unless I do them all, then go back over them!

I also always get the little snaggy bits under the free edge, but I'm sure that's my file angle that's wrong.

How do I speed up?!

Practise, Practise and Practise .... eventually you will be quick as lightning. But to be honest you should for get how long it takes you and focus on the quality of your end product. If you were to be really quick with a crappy end product i dont think your client would want to come back... so strengthen your end result and not timing hun;)

Thanks for your reply. I don't want to keep practicing the wrong technique though!

I feel like I must be doing something wrong if I am taking on board all the theory, but still not happy with my results unless I've gone back over them. :irked:

Thanks for your reply. I don't want to keep practicing the wrong technique though!

I feel like I must be doing something wrong if I am taking on board all the theory, but still not happy with my results unless I've gone back over them. :irked:

Once you have learned to get the perfect result in one go, then you will just do it automatically.

Remember you angle the file and shape from the underside of the free edge not parallel to it; THAT is the biggest technique that will take you forward and at a quicker pace.

When you file from underneath, you can then see what each stroke is doing .. When you work parallel, you can't see what you have done until you have done it and removed your file to check (this wastes allot of time). You shouldn't have to check, you should be able to see at all times, what you are doing.

Thank you Geeg. :)

I'm going to re-read everything I have too, just to make sure I am doing everything right.

I know what you mean. I take 30 mins for prep time as I am a perfectionist and need to get a good technique / ruitine. Being after hours makes practising hard! Will keep and eye on this thread and all the best x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I always get the snaggy bits to.why would this be?is it because the files too gritty?or the angle I file at?Xx

Latest posts

Back