How to succeed in nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

souz

Reaction score
I get asked a lot on here and i've seen lots of thread lately about salons and mobile techs not getting enough clients so thought i would share some of what i have done.

1. Always make sure your nails are immaculate and something that catches peoples attention when you are out and about. Whether its a bright colour or some nail art/design. I generally just have my ring finger with something eye catching so that those potential clients who don't like nail art aren't out off but those that do can see something different and always make sure you have price lists or cards on you, in your car, in your partners car etc

2. Website - doesnt matter how basic it is you need one. Everyone uses the internet especially while they are at work andif they can text or email you for an appt even better! Also make sure you advertise on free sites such as yell,vivastreet, free ads, gumtree- the more your name appears on the net the better (seo- search engine optimisation)

3. Take photos of all your work at the beginning and put on facebook/website regularly. Also have some photo albums made up to show clients or to take to wedding fairs/pamper eves etc

4. Contact local groups and send vouchers and offer your services at any fetes/pamper eves/fundraising that they may be doing.

5. Leaflet drop regularly in your local area - they may put the leaflet in their drawer or you may just remind them that you are there!

6. I got a glitter tattoo kit, a banner made,t shirts printed and did local fetes, whilst the mums were waiting for their children to have a tattoo they looked at my price list and my nails - from them i got a few clients who recommended me to their friends, they are all regulars now.

7. Advertise locally in post offices and shops - it gets your name out there if nothing else!

8. Give something extra, go and visit local salons if necessary and see what they are not offering - for me its my flexible hours and the range of nail services that i offer as well as the hand massage at the end of the treatment, costs me no more than a little hand cream that clients end up buying!

9. Keep up to date - nail magazines/you tube/seminars/beauty shows, its important to know what the latest celeb has on her nails or what colours are in at the moment

10. UPSELL - dont worry so much about getting new clients all the time but upsell to your regulars, dont say to them "oh its just a bit of glitter", you have to pay for it and its your time on top. If you can retail to each client also it can all add up to an extra £100 or so at the end of the week.

11. Constant training - its important to keep your skills upto date as well as to stop yourself becoming staid in what you do. You need it to inspire you and in turn inspire your clients

12. At the beginning only buy what you need not what you WANT! You will end of with lots of stock that wont get used. Wait until you have clients and see what they are asking for the most. Also get the best deals on all your consumables, every little helps. Make sure your prices are targeted at the clientele you are after...market yourself to the clients that you want.

13. Forget about what everyone else is doing or offering, know that you are worth the prices that you charge. if someone down the road is doing nails for £10 LET HER! she will not be making money and will have to work fingers to the bone to earn the same as you! Remember that. It doesnt hurt to know what your competition is doing but dont let it affect you.

I will probably keep adding to this as i think of things but just remember nothing happens overnight and it is hard work but it is worth it!! Enjoy what you do and that comes across. When you have knowledge of the treatments that you offer mixed with passion people will come back and they will recommend you.

i hope that this at least helps someone xxx

Last edited:
Great post thank you x

Amazing, thank u x

your welcome,if i can help only one of you i will be happy.

if anyone has any nail specific events or things they have done that have brought in clients please share with the rest of us. xx

Great post and all good information.

Regarding number 9 .. Salongeek.com is one of your best resources for information on anything new ... we get it here before all the magazines :lol: plus you get reviews from your peers and not just marketing hype from those who are selling new things.

I also think number 12 is very important. What you want is not always what you can sell ... in fact often it is not what you can sell. I see so many new nails girls talking about nail art and how much they want to get into the business on the back of that and it does not work. You have to learn how to make beautiful nails before you go on to embellish them. Nothing looks worse than poorly executed or even well done nail art on crummy-looking nails. Don't buy heavily into Fads .... trends are one thing, fads are another.

Last but not least ... Spend your money wisely and put a large proportion of the money you earn back into your business. Buy larger sizes and watch your stock so that there are no surprises that leave you without the things you need. There is no need for any nail technician in a cash business to be short of money, unless you are spending it on the wrong things.

Great post and all good information.

Regarding number 9 .. Salongeek.com is one of your best resources for information on anything new ... we get it here before all the magazines :lol: plus you get reviews from your peers and not just marketing hype from those who are selling new things.

I also think number 12 is very important. What you want is not always what you can sell ... in fact often it is not what you can sell. I see so many new nails girls talking about nail art and how much they want to get into the business on the back of that and it does not work. You have to learn how to make beautiful nails before you go on to embellish them. Nothing looks worse than poorly executed or even well done nail art on crummy-looking nails. Don't buy heavily into Fads .... trends are one thing, fads are another.

Last but not least ... Spend your money wisely and put a large proportion of the money you earn back into your business. Buy larger sizes and watch your stock so that there are no surprises that leave you without the things you need. There is no need for any nail technician in a cash business to be short of money, unless you are spending it on the wrong things.

Gigi, how could i forget salon geek! yes we definitely hear it here first and definitely agree about stock, i always make sure i have one in use and one spare of the things i go through the most like shellac base and top coat and always have plenty scrubfresh in!xx

I also think number 12 is very important. What you want is not always what you can sell ...

I think this is the hardest lesson to learn, in anything not just nails! We went to the wholesalers as I sell a few boutique bits in my salon and my mum pointed out what I thought were the most hideous (imo) scarves, she insisted we buy them saying that if they didn't sell in a month she'd give me the money back. I sold 2 the very next day lol!
I often find that my least favourite nail colours are what people ask for most.

Fantastic post thank you 😃

Wow, thank you so much for that, it's just what I needed. I am doing most of that, but I have a few NSS opened up around me & they are so cheap & other salons offering silly offers. I must say I've felt rather disheartened seeing them busy with clients. I do offer monthly promotions, but I am good at what I do & am not prepared to offer ridiculous prices.

Wow, thank you so much for that, it's just what I needed. I am doing most of that, but I have a few NSS opened up around me & they are so cheap & other salons offering silly offers. I must say I've felt rather disheartened seeing them busy with clients. I do offer monthly promotions, but I am good at what I do & am not prepared to offer ridiculous prices.

hun dont worry and to be honest i wouldnt worry about doing offers at all unless its on a new product you are buying in and want to promote whilst recouping some of the money spent out. I used to do a monthly offer on my website and no one ever took it up so ive stopped (means i dont have to think of a different offer all the time too!) and its not affected business at all. People that want their nails done and to look good all the time dont worry about how much it costs just the same as getting our hair done, once you find someone you like you pay!

Dont ever be disheartened by what others are doing. Believe in yourself and be positive. If you are quiet at any time use that time wisely. Either write more letters to local groups, re advertise online, update your nail art wheels, practise whatever your not confident in, do your books or have a clear out-always something to do!!xx

Love love love this post. I think there are lots of people on this forum who are probably good at doing nails but not so good at the business side of things. I know from experience in other businesses that discounting is a slippery slope. Why be a busy fool? If you have invested in expensive training and products then your prices need to reflect that! Thanks for sharing!

thanks champagnecharli, i think you definitely hit the nail on the head when you said not everyone is good at business. I have had previous jobs where i have helped run businesses as well as my husband had a sucessful business for 15 years and i helped run his office.( i have been a PA to Directors and am very organised!) Ive seen from first hand what not to do and this is what drives me in the direction i am going and why i have not opened up a salon other than my home salon. Its not something to rush into without capital behind you to see you through the tough months!

i loved your quote "why be a busy fool" !!! so true xxxx

Attend local craft fairs and set up your table very simply, but prettily.

I do this with just my Shellac and some Spa manicure products, plus leaflets etc,
and I offer just one free Shellac nail, usually the pinkie.

I have built up a very good client base this way, cheap marketing as they know what they are getting, the quality of the product, and it's application method.

above all, they know your face, and that, for me, is very important.

try it, it works.

love it souz great thread! ! !! xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Gr8 post, love it! Some really good tips in there for ppl starting out. Definitely agree with the bit about only buying the stock you need and not what you want, think many of us can identify with that :) x

Great post. A great help to those of us relatively new to the business xxx

Fantastic thread. Thank you! X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Great. Thanks very much x

Thank you for posting this. You have given great advice and given me some fab ideas. For me one of the most important ones is 12, there are so many 'pretty' things that I want to buy, like for example glitters, but until I have perfected applying and removal I won't move to the next step. (I am very new to the trade) I want to get the basics right first, and then build on my skills. many thanks for posting this. This is why this site is so brilliant! Thank you souz.

Latest posts

Back