How to tell a client that...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flic22

Reaction score
You don't remove another tech's work?

Also do you do infills that another tech/salon has put on in the first place?

I never turn a client away. I'm in business to make money. So if a new client wants their existing product removed I tell them where possible I will, but if I'm not able, or the condition of the natural nail underneath is questionable, then I'm happy to infill/rebalance instead.

Each client/product needs to be reviewed individually depending on condition and type of product and the health of the natural nail.

Never say never until those nails are in ur hands , then make a decision xx

I never turn a client away. I'm in business to make money. So if a new client wants their existing product removed I tell them where possible I will, but if I'm not able, or the condition of the natural nail underneath is questionable, then I'm happy to infill/rebalance instead.

Each client/product needs to be reviewed individually depending on condition and type of product and the health of the natural nail.

I second this.
:)

I don't remove anyone else's work. If clients ask I explain my reasons why.
A client arrived with extensions on and hadn't told me in advance. She was a regular until I recently changed my hours and I had time so didn't
see the harm.
The acrylic was so hard it ruined my ceramic efile bit [emoji20]
So I'm afraid I won't be doing it again in future.

Personally, I also prefer not to infill other techs work. The main reason being that often, the new clients are on the search for a new nail tech because of a bad job done by a generic mall salon (I don't know what the politically correct term to call these are) and I don't feel comfortable mixing my quality range on top of the cheap acrylics they use (and the nasty dust it creates if filing bulk down)
When I have had someone sit down without prior knowledge they already had these acrylics on, I have said I would be happy to remove and start from scratch with my own range - I find doing this, you get a very happy, returning client :)

When I get new clients they usually have nails on already, so I will do a fill for their first appointment and recommend that they rebook for a new set. I also let them know that I only guarantee their nails last when it is my own work, and not when I am working over someone else's product. Just explain your reasoning and your clients will respect that.

Thanks for the replies - lots of different opinions. I was always told not to remove another tech's work and have never had to until I got a message last night asking me too!

Ok, i just posted about removing another tech's work.

The client that is in contact me got her nails done in a NSS salon. She wanted gel nails. She said they put a 'gel powder' on and then Shellac. No UV lamp was used? She asked them was it acrylic and she was assured it was gel? What would it be?

In my experience most NSS salons use their version of liquid & powder so yes it's acrylic but likely MMA rather than our nice pro brands.

They seem to call it gel (and often charge extra for it [emoji33])

There is a brand out there which is sold as 'gel powder' and is commonly bought by NSS and they sell it as gel because that's what they believe it to be. It is of course acrylic. But the salon she had them applied at may genuinely believe the marketing of their wholesaler.

Thanks for the help ladies. Is it a file or soak off product, anyone know?

File as much as you can then soak the remainder but it can take a very long time so make sure your client knows that

I will remove another techs work, if I have been notified in advance, but I will not infill another techs work. I explain to the client that I would need to remove them and start again.

Thanks I have told her I will remove. She is coming to me on Friday. She said her nails arent in great condition underneath so I said I cant promise that I will re do the gel but I will look and make a decision then.

Latest posts

Back