How young is too young - Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eden_beauty

Reaction score
Hi ladies

A lady wanted to know if 14 was too young to shellac? I always thought not to really do most treatments on anyone younger than 16....whats your thoughts??

Lisa

I would do shellac, minx or twinkle toes on kids over 11 as long as their parents sign a consent form. Younger than 11 is a no no. At least over 11 they know they need to sit still whilst getting done! My pet hate is 6-10 year olds wanting it done! And parents ask if it's ok?!?! Painting with regular nail polish on a child stresses me out enough! Lol

My sister and her friend are 14 and I shellacked them yesterday. As they are going on holiday today. I definitely think 14 is old enough. As long as they are still a paying customer, then I see no problem.

If I was 14 and someone refused to shellac my nails even though I was paying, I think I'd have been annoyed.

But each to their own as they say! As long as the parents present you should be fine.

xxxx

Hmm I have been wondering about this...

I did Rockstar nails with Shellac on my 13 1/2 year old niece last night. My sister consented and I know they will come to me for proper removal.

The problem with young children they will more than likely pick the shellac off, thus causing damage to the natural nail. - not good!!

I think a minimum age is 14 and really stressing the after care and removal to adult and child.

E x

My daughter is 8 1/2 and I would do shellac on her and rockstars if she asked. She hasn't asked yet which is a bit of a shock. However saying that I doubt very much I would do her friends nails at that age. 14 year olds yes I would do them asking as I had parents consent and signature. Parent would also have to be present whilst treatment is being done!

I have used Shellac on younger.
It's a UV-Polish Hybrid, aka Power-polish... it's NOT a coloured gel... not the same and should not be in the same category.
There is ZERO buffing with it, and I don't have to worry about it 'breaking and tearing the nail' while some coloured-gels are thicker, and might tear the nail.

Children's nails are thinner and more delicate, and more bendy. So it's important to note that while Shellac will deliver better performance than a regular polish, it's life span WILL be shorter on children due to the nature of their nails.
Be sure to explain this to the client, that they can't expect it to perform as it would on an adult's nails.
Be sure to explain that if a child is going to pick, it's not good for the nails.

hth's

It all depends on your insurance provider to be honest. You need to contact them to see if you are covered, some insurance providers do not cover anyone under the age of 16, other insurance providers will allow you to carry out a treatment with parental consent

I shellac my 7yr old occasionally. Usually lasts about 1 1/2 - 2wks on her. First time I did it, she asked what I was doing every step of the way. Then went off to school asking to look at her friends 'free edge'! She explained to them, why it was important to take care of your nails.

I must admit, she sometimes asked for certain nail art, and its like trying to paint picasso on a postage stamp.

If it wasn't my own child though, I'd think about 14 with parental consent, but check insurance first.

I shellac my 7yr old occasionally. Usually lasts about 1 1/2 - 2wks on her. First time I did it, she asked what I was doing every step of the way. Then went off to school asking to look at her friends 'free edge'! She explained to them, why it was important to take care of your nails.

I must admit, she sometimes asked for certain nail art, and its like trying to paint picasso on a postage stamp.

If it wasn't my own child though, I'd think about 14 with parental consent, but check insurance first.

God I'm so glad to read your post as I have used shellac on my boys and My sisters twin girls. As it's the school Holidays and the twins have been bugging me for ages. I was going to put a post of here to ask, as it only a one off thing and I will remove with pads and use Solar oil was this a good thing or not??

The boys are 7 and 8 yrs old the girls are 7 yrs old

glamcwtch-albums-little+shellac+nail+art++rockstar-picture39804-boys-girls-nail-art.jpg

I had a client telling my that her 4 year old was 'dying' to have minx. The mother came in to get her own toes done and brought the child with her, it became very clear that the 4 year was actually not keen on the idea and it was infact the mother who wanted her to have them done for a party!:Scared: My daughter is also 4 and wanted the minx but I told her she had to wait until she was a bigger girl, I gave her nail polish with glitter so she thinks she has rock star like mummy!:wink2:

This has be cover many times how young is to young?

My personal opinion .... Parents choice

Some find it discusting and can't believe that other parents would let there 4/5 year old have there nails done!! .... While most 4/5 year olds would do anything to have it done.

I personally don't have a problem doing children I love it how excited they get playing grown ups getting there nails done at the salon

I've Shellaced a 5 year old ( that's my youngest) and that was Shellac rockstar fingers and I've even minxed a 4 year old

With my insurance if there are under 16 then need written consent but I personally like the parent to be there and so do they, can't ever say I've had a 6 year old just walk into the salon and ask for there nails doing, have you?

The parents are there they are taking responsibility and understand that Shellac need to be removed professionally and the child knows not to pick at it and they all walk out amazed by there nails at how sparkly there are! At the end of the day it's a bit of fun there having there nail painted that's all there not having a boob job!! Xxx

I have done my 6 (almost 7) year old's nails with shellac several times. Every time I tell her 'If you pick it off I won't do them again because it will damage you nails' and every time without fail it's all off within 48 hours lol. She has not done any damage to her nails though, you wouldn't know she'd had anything on them. So now she says 'but my nails are not damaged at all so why can't I have shellac?' My reply now is 'You'll cost me a fortune in product!'

I've also applied tips and shellac to both my girls (6 & 8) with glittery tips but they only lasted 24 hours lol.

got to follow your morales and mind, what age do you feel comfortable with ?

personally I think 13 is about right, old enuff to understand what and why etc.

Latest posts

Back