"I can't afford it". Thoughts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great thought provoking starting thread!
its so easy to get carried away....
Im qualified in beauty and massage, and going to do gels and acrylics (VTCT) in Nov. I do my clients that i have practised on from the start,(friends and family- do them at my home) and i do help a friend do mobile pamper parties,i do facials, she does nails. But im not doing any advertising, or buying any more equiptment. Instead i opened a savings account at the start of the year, i save all of my change, everything from 1p to £2 coins. so far i have saved £1400! all on my own!!! i plan to have a log cabin built in my garden. initially for storage, as i only have a small 2 up, 2 down house/cottage with no storage. This will enable to buy more equiptment that i need, and also to be able to stock more retail goods.
i am looking into being able to use the log cabin to work from, but again i want to do this all slowly, and correctly.
I am insured wth a very reputable company. They will not accept any day courses, and are rather strict on qualifications they accept and their codes of ethics. i believe this to be a good thing?
Although it can very frustrating, seeing friends qualify after me an start business straight away, often cutting corners and getting carried away in the 'earning money', im happy to just take my time, get lots of advice off here. I dont just want to be a beauty/massage Therapist, i want to be known as a very good, professional Therapist. It may take me years to get to where i want to be, but i will get there!!! x

Ive been doing nails for the last 6 years and have always tried to provide the best service for clients and use the best products. I work part time and also have a full time job as a primary teacher. Even although I have a demanding full job I have never thought of what I do as just playing at nails. I've worked hard to build up a client base and I'm always thinking of ways I can develop my business. I was one of these people who initially thought of trying to cut corners when I first thought of introducing shellac. Did I need the lamp? Did I really need to do the training? What is the basics I need to start offering it to clients? Needless to say I bought everything and haven't looked back or regretted it. Yes it was a lot of money to spend but I've been so busy and everyone is raving about it. I've still to go on the training but will definatley be doing it. Get get back what you put in. If you want to cut corners then you won't see good returns and clients won't come back.

in answer to Lady Gray

do what you are doing. sometimes you work to cover bills and sometimes you make a bit more so get some profit.
keep doing that.

sometimes you have a quiet time, sometimes you have a busy time. when you are busy plough the money back into the business.

Im ashamed to say I started as an 'I cant afford it person!!' I am on mat leave and have come from retail management and started beauty with mobile spray tanning and have got some what carried away I am just loving what I am doing and now desperate to build a big enough client base to stay in beauty after my mat leave is up I have a marketing degree and small business start up training so I am business minded or so I like to think .... however I have alot of clients asking for acrylics and mistakenly thought after trawling the internet I could spend £300 - 400 on a 'cheap' 2 day course - had I not been on here getting the fabulous advice from somewhat less naive geeks!! I would be out of pocket and have little skill!! I am now saving every penny coming in to save up for the CND acrylic course and thankfully thanks to you guys havnt fallen into the buy cheap buy twice trap!! To summarise ... I cant afford it so Im not training until I can!!!

Latest posts

Back