"I can't afford it". Thoughts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how do u find out about new things and products? I've only been doing this since april.. So still all new to me... I've signed up to a magazine with my insurance :)
I've worked really hard and spent a fortune already on this and love doing it... I want a successful business :)

I am just starting out after three years of being away from the nail industry. I didn't have the confidence before but this time it feels different and I am thinking of it as a very small business. Hopefully in a year I can go self employed, I wish I had thought this way years ago. I have a very small budget but I will make it and my business grow. I will never know unless I try!:p

There seems to be a vast polarity between those of us who do it for a living, and those who don't.
I cringe at posts when people are trying to shave a couple of quid off a set up cost. If you are gonna do a treatment, do it properly.
I have invested vast amounts of money in my salons, enough to buy a pretty decent house. That is your competition.
Your competitors are investing serious money and time in their businesses. You need to accept that you must do the same otherwise those clients will desert you for the salon who takes their work seriously .

So how do u find out about new things and products? I've only been doing this since april.. So still all new to me... I've signed up to a magazine with my insurance :)
I've worked really hard and spent a fortune already on this and love doing it... I want a successful business :)

This website has a wealth of information. I wouldn't be where I am today or know the things I know, without it.

Education is key. Whatever system you have chosen to offer, take as many classes in it as you can. Already taken an L&P course? Take another. You may learn something new from a different instructor. Take a 1 to 1 or find a mentor.

In this day and age, there are lots of ways to learn new things. Use the internet to your advantage, watch videos on cnd.com or whichever site you choose. Trade magazines are also a good resource.

Best of luck to you. :)

This is so true. I think there is also alot of ignorence over how much a business costs to run and how much UNPAID work goes into being self employed as a sole trader. If you add up what hours you do and what you earn as a sole trader starting out, its peanuts, far less than minimun wage. With the costs of training, investing into products, your time doing jobs that dont earn money, such as ordering, banking, paper work, washing and cleaning. Plus with the extra cost of insurance, car insurance, public liability.
The time spent answering fone calls and booking people in. Its hard going and you need to be 100% committed to your business and you see the cash flowing in but you CANT spend it on yourself you need to put it back into the business, if you dont, your skrewed lol. It annoys me when people are like ohh shes earning 30 pound an hour! ARE THEY THICK lol.. do people think we just roll out of bed and everything is done for us ready to go! I think its fine to do it as a hobby of you like, there is no law against it but if you are doing it as a job it is NOT the same. Running a business is the main part of the job! Its so stressful, the clients are obviously what earns you money but the day to day running never stops. Its hard going.. hence the fact I am looking to go back employed lol XXXX

I started in the beauty business a couple of years ago as mobile and was lucky enough to have a wee bit of money to start with, since completing my training I have continued to train with another 2x4day course booked for this year. I love training and find out about whats new in the industry on Salon geek, I have set a limit of two courses a year (already broken both years) as I agree training, new products etc are a must if you want to suceed. Im running a business even though Im mobile and only work part-time, I make enough money to keep my treatments up to date, replenish my stock (which I think is good quaility) and pay my half of the house bills.

Totally agree with you mum (feels strange to type that, dont tell my real mum!!):lol:

Annie xx

I'm currently saving for my blink and go course! It's over a thousand pounds and I hope to be able to do it before Xmas! Another tip is to replenish stock as u go. Don't let it all run low. Keep on top of it and take advantage of the vat free days at the wholesalers. I have a special wallets labelled wax,nails,tan ect and I put 5 pounds in the one I have just done on top of a overall saving wallet and wen its vat free day I use the money to stock up! I also save all my tips and each christmas I send them all in one go on me!

Great post.

I like the saying "if a job's worth doing,it's worth doing properly"....rings very true.

Its a shame a lot of colleges don't teach business sense.

Its also a shame the amount of technicians that advertise they use a certain system to get the clients in and then it actually turns out they are using something completely different.

I for one am pretty sick of reading all the threads on here about cutting corners...yes we all would love to save a bit of money but in the long run thats not what you will be doing when a client returns for a refund...i am referring to all the "can i use my bio sculpture lamp with shellac??" style threads.

If you havent got the money to do it propoerly perhaps your best holding off until you do.

And as always the statement "you get what you pay for" has always been so true,particularly in this industry.

I think an "investment"fund is a great idea

YOU ARE ALREADY IN THE RIGHT PLACE...right here!!

All I'm going to say is that if you don't earn anything then how do you save? I agree with the principles of this thread but its seem some people have very little idea about how life is for some people!

I am a stay at home mum because for the first precious couple of years I felt my purpose was to be at home.

My husband works every hour under the sun, just to support us, feed us, clothe us etc.

The time has come for me to return to work and I'm determined to do something that I love with a passion. My husband who already works over 45 hours a week did MORE overtime to enable me to do my Manicures and Pedicures course with a reputable company (EZFlow) and I cleaned him out.

But now we are skint again. I can only work evenings and weekends and I am slowly building up a client base so my earnings are meagre, it's fine that way, I don't want the moon on a stick. But it does mean I can't afford many things.

I am saving, all my meagre earnings go into my bank account for future training and restocking, but truthfully, restocking and supplies consumes it, and there is little there for training. This will change of course as time goes on and my client base builds.

As for those suggesting that sacrifices are required if you want to consider yourself a businesswoman... well I ask you, how do you give up smoking/holidays/social lifes when you have none of those things because you are trying to stay afloat?

All I really want to say is be very careful that you don't tar people who "can't afford" things with the same brush or write them off as not having as much committment as others who cut back to afford the best.

No one can doubt my committment to my new profession and future training with quality brands and products but yes, there are things I can't afford and that is that!

I do appreciate that this thread is about those who think it will be easy and cutting costs with cheap courses and cheap products from sellers who shouldn't be selling... but I just wanted to speak up about some of the generalisations I've read on this thread and remind people that it's not just time wasters or people "playing" at it that wonder how on earth to cut costs... sometimes the motivation is not as simple as you might like to think it is. Times are hard.

Whilst training I sold all my old clothes/cameras/computers on the internet auctions, and put the money into a separate account. I made quite some money, enough to set up, and still have some to train further. I currently provide the cost effective treatments, which have a good profit. All have provided me with repeat customers.

I don't provide facials, as I like to provide quality products, and it will have to wait until I can afford that quality. Most quality products provide free/low cost training also, but can cost thousands of pounds to start up. I expect to be investing in facial products within the next 7 months if I continue to sell on internet auctions to gain extra money also and treating my regular clients as well as gain new clients. I'm not big about borrowing, but if my clients started demanding facials now, then I would consider it, as it is, they are all willing to wait. If you work self employed, you can't sit on your backside when you don't have a client, you have to be making more money, whether that be advertising or selling.

Its takes a hell of a lot of patience and a whole lot of planning. Its possible to afford it. Just not always in the immediate future.

Lady Gray I am with you 100% I earn very very little my babys nursery eats all my wages but as we are going for a new mortage in Nov I am stuck earning minus every month in my day job.I too have almost zero to put aside for future training in fact i earned so little last week from my mobile Tanning Nails/Holistic £15 anyone :( :( that I dont ever cover costs,
I am doing pretty much everything I can. leaftlets local advertising facebook refer a friend, trying to push it word of mouth, I evendropped my prices,
anyay enough woe is me, but I do adore what I do. never skimp on products, I deliver a great service put in so much more than I get back financally and my dream is to do this full time, I simply "cant afford it" at this time ayway x

All I'm going to say is that if you don't earn anything then how do you save? I agree with the principles of this thread but its seem some people have very little idea about how life is for some people!

I am a stay at home mum because for the first precious couple of years I felt my purpose was to be at home.

My husband works every hour under the sun, just to support us, feed us, clothe us etc.

The time has come for me to return to work and I'm determined to do something that I love with a passion. My husband who already works over 45 hours a week did MORE overtime to enable me to do my Manicures and Pedicures course with a reputable company (EZFlow) and I cleaned him out.

But now we are skint again. I can only work evenings and weekends and I am slowly building up a client base so my earnings are meagre, it's fine that way, I don't want the moon on a stick. But it does mean I can't afford many things.

I am saving, all my meagre earnings go into my bank account for future training and restocking, but truthfully, restocking and supplies consumes it, and there is little there for training. This will change of course as time goes on and my client base builds.

As for those suggesting that sacrifices are required if you want to consider yourself a businesswoman... well I ask you, how do you give up smoking/holidays/social lifes when you have none of those things because you are trying to stay afloat?

All I really want to say is be very careful that you don't tar people who "can't afford" things with the same brush or write them off as not having as much committment as others who cut back to afford the best.

No one can doubt my committment to my new profession and future training with quality brands and products but yes, there are things I can't afford and that is that!

I do appreciate that this thread is about those who think it will be easy and cutting costs with cheap courses and cheap products from sellers who shouldn't be selling... but I just wanted to speak up about some of the generalisations I've read on this thread and remind people that it's not just time wasters or people "playing" at it that wonder how on earth to cut costs... sometimes the motivation is not as simple as you might like to think it is. Times are hard.

Lady Gray this is a very well thought out and brave post. You definitely don't fit into the 'can't afford' people I was referring to. You can't afford it right now but you are being realistic about it, not trying to grab onto every new thing cheaply with the belief that clients will come flocking.

I was in a similar position as you many years ago (as were so many others on here). I stayed at home until my youngest of 3 went to playschool then built up as best as I could under the constraints of time and finances. It was amazingly hard but more than worth it. One of the things that a lot of mums do best is juggle.

To all you hard working mums, juggling is great but remember the most important job you will ever do is be a mum and your children are little for such a short time! Then they are gone (not too far hopefully!) Be a mum first and if you can be a fabulous nail technician too then do it. If you can't put the time effort and cash in yet, then wait until you can or take little steps to build on later.

Slightly off track but my philosophy

Lady Gray this is a very well thought out and brave post. You definitely don't fit into the 'can't afford' people I was referring to. You can't afford it right now but you are being realistic about it, not trying to grab onto every new thing cheaply with the belief that clients will come flocking.

I was in a similar position as you many years ago (as were so many others on here). I stayed at home until my youngest of 3 went to playschool then built up as best as I could under the constraints of time and finances. It was amazingly hard but more than worth it. One of the things that a lot of mums do best is juggle.

To all you hard working mums, juggling is great but remember the most important job you will ever do is be a mum and your children are little for such a short time! Then they are gone (not too far hopefully!) Be a mum first and if you can be a fabulous nail technician too then do it. If you can't put the time effort and cash in yet, then wait until you can or take little steps to build on later.

Am with the same philosophy... i have re-trained as a Nail tech whilst working part time and being a full time mum .. and when i qualified i went mobile fitting my clients around work and child..

am now due to have another baby in sept.. so have had to give up the mobile work but have taken some clients on at home.. and fit them in around my home life which is working out really well.. havent been busy busy and taking on clients as and when as i dont want to commit to loads of bookings just to cancel at last minute due to being in labour etc lol..

so the money i make from this i keep some back for essentials, and some back towards product and further training.. as i am not going back to my non nails job .. i intend to go full pelt with my business.. the goal.. my own little salon.. may take a couple of years but i have a goal lol.. but yes i am in the i cant afford that bracket right now.. but with careful planning and saving i will be in the .. am going off to do this bracket..:biggrin:

Sarah x

Unfortunately some people don't think about the business side and get carried away with the idea of there own salon. I'm a mobile therapist but one of my friends totally screwed up her salon and ended up having to sell it off cheap so she could get out if it. I wanted to help but the business was so run down, at one point she couldn't even afford fuel to get to the salon to open!!!

If anyone is reading this and thinks that opening their own business is easy as people invested in you please consider a 5 year profit plan before even starting and give over the rate budget to the products as this way you will always have a comfort zone and not have to sell your business or go bust!!

I have really enjoyed reading this thread thanks mum and geeks.

I think the key word is patience. For someone like me who doesn't have much of it lol I've realised the key to my success is indeed patience. i sold my car earlier in the year to fund my training and am using birthday's and Christmas to help with more funding. Hubby and i aren't in the best financial situation at the mo i was made redundant without payout so selling my car helped two fold one it went towards training and products and two saved on petrol and insurance that could go towards our bills and my career. Himself car needed fixing recently so my car sale money was used to fix it but himself is paying me back next Friday so i can purchase my shellac and other manicure products. Whilst at times I've felt frustrated it's given me the opportunity to research research research. I always thought I'd done enough but waiting for this money to come back to me has actually saved me some costly mistakes. I've put back my launch date for my company several times through lack of funds, realising to build a business takes time as there are hidden costs you don't realise by acting quickly and most importantly because i want to offer a quality service. Whilst i need to get back to work to ease our financial situation and also for me, i understand that rushing or offering a half service can actually be more detrimental. I'm not blowing smoke up my botty far from it and i don't claim to know everything or think I'm immune from mistakes but i feel patience is the key and so far its serving me well and as i said for someone like me it doesn't come easy but with the wealth of information on here, all you knowledgable geeks I've realised there are no short cuts in this game and rushing like bull in China shop is a big no no. however i think that this knowledge is the beginnings of the foundations to what i hope will be a successful business.

Hats off to you geeks and thank you. X x x

Last edited:
good advice.. am not getting carried away with an idea.. though.. i have a goal and that is my goal.. alot of hard work to get there.. but if you start off small and work your way up i suppose.. i dont want to be doing this from home for the rest of my career.. i re-trained as a nail tech as i never got to do it after qualifying as a beautician many years ago... and i love it.. i think it is good to set yourself a goal for the future.. but i agree with you .. it needs careful planning to work.. .. :biggrin:

Thanks Mum, I was nervous posting it.

I don't know if you realised but we have tweeted a bit on occasion and we have a very dear friend in common, and he once asked you for advice about me when I was just starting up! Kenneth. xxx

Whilst training I sold all my old clothes/cameras/computers on the internet auctions, and put the money into a separate account. I made quite some money, enough to set up, and still have some to train further. I currently provide the cost effective treatments, which have a good profit. All have provided me with repeat customers.

i do this!!! when i first started up half my room went on an internet auction site, and i used the money to buy my kit with that, and if i really want to buy anything like new colour polishes or new product ranges and i just cant wait till i have the money from clients, i have a massive clear out and use the money to buy it :D

I've been reading this with interest and wondering why none of the 'can't afford it' people are posting, well done LadyGray!

I've been self employed for nearly two years doing massage and holistics and I'm newly qualified in nails (passed my course in March but still got a lot to learn!) and have fallen into the trap of buying products etc that I can't really afford (not borrowed money or fleabay, just re-investing almost everything I earn back into my business for things like Gelish and better quality l&p than I trained with!). I've got no patience and nail products are so seductive! It has meant us not having a family holiday this year and having to cut back a little at home but I talked about it with my other half a lot and he is supportive of the fact that I have to invest to eventually earn more. I'm now at a point where I have to stop and start actually paying myself again. On reading this thread I've decided to open a separate account to save a set amount from my earnings each month and only buy when I've saved enough, making sure my wages stay steady. So, we're not all blessed with patience and perfection, but I've learned my lesson now :o

Latest posts

Back